Author Topic: Nice but....  (Read 11490 times)

IndyFlyer

Nice but....
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:09:37 am »
Looks great and ver well done...bad thing is..my god it killed my frames. I can run tampa and pmdg..ect..great for some reason this is killing me..I went from 17-22 to 2-8

Humm

Matthew

thepilot

Re: Nice but....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:01:22 am »
Specs?

IndyFlyer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:03:17 am »
WinXP

Pen 4 2.4 ghz
2gb RAM
FS04
Nvidia 7600

thepilot

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:10:11 am »
Mh,

it indeed needs more system resources than certain other sceneries.
As far as I remember my old PC (similar to your one) couldn't run cloud9 sceneries (same kind) comfortably either.
Maybe try to turn down settings if possible.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:13:14 am by thepilot »

Razgriz

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 03:19:53 am »
Well, Tampa is rather small.  O'Hare is gigantic!

thepilot

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 03:23:35 am »
Well, generally.
I can run Seattle, SFO, PDX etc. at 35fps while I aim for a constant 25 fps in O'Hare.

IndyFlyer

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:26:42 am »
I can run flytampa sfo, kmdw pretty much all of those i have kpdx (fszone) EGLL..great frames 17-25 easy...for some reason I get poop for frames with this.

Matt

thepilot

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:24 am »
It seems logical to me...
E6850 2x 3,0GHz
8800gts 320mb
2GB DDR2-800

pretty good I think, still my framerate drops from time to time.

IndyFlyer

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:36:40 am »
dont get..huh...o well..looks like i gotta uninstall and Im out 34$...wonder what I can do

Razgriz

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:39:34 am »
dont get..huh...o well..looks like i gotta uninstall and Im out 34$...wonder what I can do

You can give it to me.  :)

_Dre_

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 05:45:48 am »
WinXP

Pen 4 2.4 ghz
2gb RAM
FS04
Nvidia 7600

There's something not right in your setup for FS9. My specs are:

Win XP
Pen 4 3.4 ghz
1GB ram
FS9
Nvidia 6600
AI:90%

My frames are very good for ORD and the only time I get any slow down is when I'm exiting a runway and all the ai and terminals comes into view very quickly and all at once. The slowdown is only momentarily though, until all the ai textures are finished loading, then it's back to smooth performance. As for my sliders, most are maxed out with a couple of exceptions. Draw distance: 80 miles, Scenery objects cast shadows: off, Cloud density: half way, Autogen: Dense.

You have more memory and a better graphics card so at the very least you should be getting the same performance. Download the latest drivers for your Graphics Card and make sure your XP has all the latest updates. Hope it helps.
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:05:16 pm »
Pen 4 2.4 ghz
2gb RAM
FS04
Nvidia 7600

You forgot an important spec, how much video ram you have. It's possible to verify if your problem is the video ram if, by lowering one notch the Global Texture Size slider, you notice an improvement.

O'Hare, being the one of the busiest airport in the world, is able to attract an huge amount of AI traffic, way larger than *anything* else, not to mention there's KMDW nearby so, using a real world AI traffic schedule, can result in more than 300 models in that area.

In that case, you are NOT evaluating the scenery performances: you are just seeing how much the AI could bring your system down to its knees.

Please, check at different AI settings, and see the results.

Axel H

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 09:34:55 pm »
Hi,

this drop of frame rates I have observed especially at large airports. Same with the new LEMD. I think we can compare these two airports in size. They are maybe designed a bit differently, I mean the techniques (sorry, don't know anything about it, but you realize different styles of designing, ground, buildings, texturing).

At Frankfurt e.g. I have max. 25 fps, locked at 25. Here and at LEMD I get the same, maybe slightly less, but after a time, when the traffic is fully loaded the fps drop down to 10 or 13. OK, maybe it is a strange observation, but this is in my large sceneries the case, at Frankfurt it stays at 25, this is a large airport but very compact. Maybe someone can explain it better here.

On another forum someone has written about something with the cache. Any idea why a cache cannot correctly emptied after a while?

Thanks, regards,

Axel

IndyFlyer

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:13:56 am »
My vid card is 512 and I dont even have my slides all the way up?...hummm

Matt

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:21 am »
With your system specs, under FS9, your fps is not normal, at all. I have much better fps in FSX, see the Screenshots here (this is all FSX,btw, FS9 would have been even faster of course)

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=585.0

As I've said, have you checked with different AI settings ? Have you checked with any kind of AI-viewing utility how many airplanes are in the area ?

If you don't make such tests before, you are ending up thinking to express a judgement on the scenery, when in fact you are just evaluating the fps-friendliness (or unfriendliness) of your AI models, under extreme stress. Which traffic package you use ?

AI settings are not directly comparable from scenery to scenery. The only thing that matters is the actual number of models, that is a function of the size of the airport, number of parking stands, and AI schedule (and of course, fps friendliness of the models)

100% AI at O'Hare with a busy schedule might generate double amount the traffic of the same 100% in another place. Hence, fps might be very different with a settings that only *appears* to be the same, and without this being a scenery's fault.