Author Topic: Standalone Manager  (Read 8923 times)

TuiflyX3

Standalone Manager
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:31 pm »
Why is fsx telling me that i have to "download the latest addonmanager"? i have installed it already severl times, but everytime the same message, this update system is really annoying. so where is this "manager"?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Standalone Manager
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »
What do you mean with "I have installed it several times" ? It doesn't matter how many *times* you install it, it matters WHEN you installed the last time.

Since we had a major update less than 2 days ago, if the last time you installed was before than that, you have to download the new version and install it again, that's how a major upgrade works. After you do this, the message will go away until the NEXT update will released, but only another MAJOR update will require you to download the Addon Manager again, minor updates can be applied on the fly without even restarting FSX, the Live Update program will indicate quite clearly when the update doesn't require an FSX restart.

this update system is really annoying

It obviously isn't, since with this method, when there'a a major upgrade, you can download a 14MB Addon Manager, instead of the full 60MB GSX installer, and it obviously isn't, since instead of you having to figure it out WHEN a new update is released, the program notifies you.

If you don't want to be bothered by the update, there's obviously an option to ignore it, so you won't be "disturbed" again until we'll release the NEXT update.

If you are complaining we are working too hard at it, and are releasing too many updates, than I guess this doesn't even deserve a comment...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:13:09 pm by virtuali »

TuiflyX3

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »
i´m not complaining, it is just annoying when u trying to figure out the *first* time how these fsdreamteam products work..just dont get it why i then always have to redownload and reinstall this addonmanager, if there is a new update avaible..

TuiflyX3

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »
so now i had to reinstall this addonmanager because i could not install the new manager..and now GSX is gone, again, and now i can do everything again, install gsx new, so if i install now the new addonmanager , i dont have to install the last updates with the livery update right??

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:14:15 pm »
just dont get it why i then always have to redownload and reinstall this addonmanager, if there is a new update avaible..

The GSX manual has a whole section in the last pages dedicated to explain the differences between minor and major updates.

TuiflyX3

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »
the point is, that when i pay almost 40 euros, i´m just to lazy to figure out, what the different updates are, would be nice to just have a "install new updates" button..and thats it, if its major or minor..all i try to say is that i just dont like these update system..GSX is awesome, waited for an addon like this for years, and i´m extreme happy that someone finally did it! that update thing doesnt have anything to do how gsx actually is..

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »
so now i had to reinstall this addonmanager because i could install the new manager..and now GSX is gone, again, and now i can do everything again, install gsx new, so if i install now the new addonmanager , i dont have to install the last updates with the livery update right??

I don't understand much of what you are saying. GSX will surely not go *because* you installed the updated Addon Manager but, most likely, because you ran its installer too quickly after FSX was not entirely closed, and not all files and processes ended so, chances are that you still have a Couatl.exe from the previous session running, which would result in GSX not running after launching FSX again.

As discussed in many other threads, this is usually fixed with a Windows reboot.

And no, the update ONLY requires to download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, nothing more. If something more would be required, we would said so. If you need the optional liveries, the Stand-Alone Addon Manager will know this and will download and install them automatically. If the GSX full installer would be required to update, we would advise to do so instead of letting the Addon Manager doing the upgrade.

Not that this make any difference whatsoever: if you want to download and install the full GSX installer, that will work too.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 02:25:26 pm »
the point is, that when i pay almost 40 euros, i´m just to lazy to figure out, what the different updates are, would be nice to just have a "install new updates" button..and thats it, if its major or minor..

The whole POINT of how the Live Update works is PRECISELY that you don't have to worry if an update is minor or major, JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS, and it will work. Sometimes it will require to download the Addon Manager, some times it will not, but that's nothing you should be concerned with.

that update thing doesnt have anything to do how gsx actually is..

The update clearly improves the product. But, of course, you have the ability to READ the release notes BEFORE downloading it and DECIDE, if you believe the update "doesnt have anything to do how gsx actually is", to IGNORE IT, and keep working with the previous version.

FACTS ARE:

1) You are being notified of the update automatically, so you don't have to lose your time on the website checking for it

2) You are saved of downloading a full installer, since the Addon Manager downloads only what is needed and it's 4 times smaller.

3) You are given the ability to READ the release notes BEFORE applying the update

4) You are given the ability to IGNORE the update if the release notes do not indicate anything interesting for you

How many MORE CHOICES DO YOU NEED ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:28:06 pm by virtuali »

TuiflyX3

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:31:48 pm »
i guess every update is important for GSX..so for me personal its no question if i want to install it or not..so now i have GSX again in my fsx tab bar..for the next time, i will now, if there is the message "install the latest standalone manager" i have to download it from the website right? and if i only have a small, or minor, update i only click the install message in fsx..? anyway, thanks for that much information and for gsx..

TuiflyX3

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:11 pm »
sure if you know how this update thing works, its really a cool feature. BUT,  i had many problems in the past, so i am not always sure, if the update and the rest of GSX actually really works how it should, thats why i´m always a bit un-sure..btw, with the new update, this message " please close door nr. X" is it gone? i use fs2crew for the ngx, and i always have many minutes left, before pusback, and after boarding i get the message close door nr x. every 3 sec. its annoying cause i always wait untill the rampagent gave me the loading sheet, to make it a bit more realistic, so is there a chance, that this message only comes every for example 30 sek, or every minute, cause my pc isnt the best, and there is always a small stuck with the message?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
if there is the message "install the latest standalone manager" i have to download it from the website right?

If the update is a major one, the program *itself* will tell you to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager from the website, prompting you the web address of its download page. There's no guesswork involved, really.

and if i only have a small, or minor, update i only click the install message in fsx..?

If the update is minor, the program will tell you that you can apply it without restarting FSX and if you agree, it will download, apply the update and restart Couatl to make it active all automatically, without restarting FSX, exactly as it said. Again, there's no guesswork involved.

In all cases, you are being given the chance to read the release notes about the update before doing anything, and have the option to ignore the update until the next one.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »
btw, with the new update, this message " please close door nr. X" is it gone? i use fs2crew for the ngx, and i always have many minutes left, before pusback, and after boarding i get the message close door nr x. every 3 sec. its annoying cause i always wait untill the rampagent gave me the loading sheet, to make it a bit more realistic, so is there a chance, that this message only comes every for example 30 sek, or every minute, cause my pc isnt the best, and there is always a small stuck with the message?

You make it sound as a "bug". It's still there, because it's supposed to be there. And it has never been "every 3 seconds", it's exactly 10 seconds between each prompt, maybe we can change it to be a user setting delay.

TuiflyX3

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
btw, with the new update, this message " please close door nr. X" is it gone? i use fs2crew for the ngx, and i always have many minutes left, before pusback, and after boarding i get the message close door nr x. every 3 sec. its annoying cause i always wait untill the rampagent gave me the loading sheet, to make it a bit more realistic, so is there a chance, that this message only comes every for example 30 sek, or every minute, cause my pc isnt the best, and there is always a small stuck with the message?

You make it sound as a "bug". It's still there, because it's supposed to be there. And it has never been "every 3 seconds", it's exactly 10 seconds between each prompt, maybe we can change it to be a user setting delay.

u know i have already delete the sound from the sound folder, that i only get the message, but would be nice to get all these warning or "what i should do" messages every minute, or as u said, make it as a user setting, would be perfect.