Author Topic: KORD runway and winds  (Read 4590 times)

cheikhndao

KORD runway and winds
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:11:58 pm »
This might have been brought up before but i can't seem to find a conclusive solution. The active runways do not comform with the winds at FSDT KORD. For example when winds are 235@6 knots you would think that the actives would be 27L,27R or 28 etc.. but instead i am getting runways that do not even exist and runways 10,14L&R. It just doesnt make any sense. Any assistance in solving this matter would be grealty appreciated..
Merci!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:05:38 pm by cheikhndao »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KORD runway and winds
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:33 am »
This has been discussed many times and it's not a problem of the scenery: search the forum for "Star technique", for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=311.msg1798#msg1798

cheikhndao

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:15 pm »
i am getting clearance for approach to runway that shouldn't active given the wind directions.. Do you follow me ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:53:40 pm »
i am getting clearance for approach to runway that shouldn't active given the wind directions.. Do you follow me ?

You said you are "getting runways that do not even exist ". The reason for this is explained in the thread above, read about the "Star technique" or X-Wind runways. They are dummy runways to allow this. And you aren't cleared to land there, they are only announced in the ATIS.

About getting the "wrong" runways that DO exists instead, I'm not sure that 6 knots tailwind is enough to switch runways, but this is something FSX does in its own anyway, and it's possible that if the wind changes suddenly, the runways is not reassigned immediately.