Author Topic: @Umberto  (Read 3359 times)

G.Bosak

@Umberto
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:15 am »
just to let you know:

GSX gave up working once more, so i decided to de- and reinstall it, took the actual installer from your webside [1.8.9.1]
and installed it, making liveupdate and all that stuff during installation and started FSX and KIAH at C16 then.

The result is given on the attached screenshot.

Addonmanager and cuatl were shown as normal and scenery active in FSX menu.

installed Addonmanager says: 2.9.0.20 (which comes with GSX)

So i grabbed actual standalone addonmanager and installed it ( it says now 2.9.0.23) and started FSX again, now its working as it should.

So how can it be, that the latest available GSX installer kills KIAH airport although live update is done during GSX installation?

I'm sorry to say your installers are getting more and more error-prone.

This isn't an user error, based on AV-suites which aren't installed, or lack of administration rights. When i started buying your products
they worked fine the more FSDT products i have the more troubles i get.

Your DRM isn't as reliable as i am used to, anymore. It's the second event in 2 weeks (freezes in KORD) because one fu**ing non associated file
or application affects the appearance/usage of the whole airport!

I had a reason when i asked you for a clearly and maintained list of installer changes of all of your products, it isn't manageable anymore
since FSDT product A affects product B that way. And it seems you lost the clear view about the installers, too.

One thing if i accept DRM is, it has to work without any difficulty.

At least i hope this helps others when installing GSX last til this is being corrected to avoid such an annoyance.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: @Umberto
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:18:05 am »
So i grabbed actual standalone addonmanager and installed it ( it says now 2.9.0.23) and started FSX again, now its working as it should.

We always suggested to run the Stand-Alone Addon Manager to be sure you have everything updated.

So how can it be, that the latest available GSX installer kills KIAH airport although live update is done during GSX installation?

It shouldn't simply happen. Both the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, KIAH, and GSX, ALL download EXACTLY the same set of files, from the same server, installing with exactly the same routine.

The only thing I can think of, it's either a bad download of one of the files, or some interference between the installer and some security program ( not necessarily the antivirus ) that blocked the Live update when you ran the GSX installer.

The current GSX installer, doesn't know about KIAH, and it doesn't contain anything related to it internally, for the obvious reason that it has been released BEFORE KIAH. This means it RELIES on the online part to be successfully downloaded.

The whole point of having an online part, is that you don't have to install things in a specific order, something that you had to do if the installers didn't download anything.

When the next update for GSX will be released, we will update the GSX installer too, so it will contain everything related to KIAH too, making it not dependent by the online part and the chance of defective security programs blocking it, because it will include anything needed to run sceneries released after it internally too.

As discussed many times already, the ONE and ONLY installer that is ALWAYS kept in sync with any upgrade released, internally, so it doesn't rely on the download part, is the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer. That will always update everything, even if your online connection doesn't work, or if you security product blocks the downloads or, even worse, let pass some files, but blocks others.

It's the second event in 2 weeks (freezes in KORD) because one fu**ing non associated file or application affects the appearance/usage of the whole airport!

I really can't see how this has anything to do with "DRM"...especially the O'Hare thing: it was a fix to improve DX10 compatibility that has been REQUESTED by another USER like you, and my mistake was that I was too quick doing it, without considering that it should have been clearly labeled as a mandatory update for everyone, and push it with Live Update.

I had a reason when i asked you for a clearly and maintained list of installer changes of all of your products, it isn't manageable anymore  since FSDT product A affects product B that way. And it seems you lost the clear view about the installers, too.

I already explained why this doesn't help, at all, because we have a online notification system, which is obviously way better than having to check on the site or on the forum a separate list.

Having a list of changes in the installers, make even less sense than that because installers are rarely updated to update the *actual* scenery, the most common case is to fix any possible installer bug or things that must be changed but aren't "bugs", we updated all the installer a while ago, just to change the URL of one of the two online update servers, it obviously doesn't make any sense to ask you to re-download them *all* 3GB of them (scenery files identical) JUST to get an updated URL, when the 15MB Addon Manager is all you need.

So, instead of having to scroll a list of updated installers, with nothing changed in the product, and decide if they are worth installing, which is very time-consuming, you only need a very SIMPLE rule to keep in mind:

Whenever you need to reinstall something, if anything goes wrong, always download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager as the last thing you do.

Downloading and installing a very small 15MB installer without even thinking about it, is WAY easier and faster than having to check a list with all the current versions for each and every installer of every product, compare it with the version of each installer you have, and decide how many full installers you need to re-download, and this won't even guaranteed it will fix you problem because, if there's an external interference in the download process, you will still have to use the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer afterwards.

That's why this rule is way simpler and it's better than your suggested list of changes and installer versions for everything.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:20:28 am by virtuali »

G.Bosak

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:35 am »
Whenever you need to reinstall something, if anything goes wrong, always download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager as the last thing you do.

Hi Umberto,

the build in live-update in every of your installers suggests to have the latest needed files, already.

The main difference to any other FS product is, if they are checked in scenery library they work.
regardless of any further installation or update. Here i am at the risk that one addonmanager or couatl
in the worst case prevents my GSX/ 14 FSDT airports and 4 Flightbeam sceneries from working normally.

In fact it needs more administration time than any of my other products. And i can't say what initially prevented
GSX from working, i didn't change anything and i don't use it often, because nearly every of my addon airports
except your latest ones are equipped with AES. But about once per quarter i have to reinstall it, when its
needed on an airport i haven't any alternative.

And sorry for my harsh words, i've really been upset yesterday night.

regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:06 pm »
the build in live-update in every of your installers suggests to have the latest needed files, already.

If all goes well in the download...

The Live Update *CHECK* is not made by checking each file, one by one, against the files on the server, this is done only when you perform a Live Update installation, not when the need for an Update is checked.

This, for the obvious reason of having the Live Update check (which is made every 24 hours) so fast you can't even notice it, because the check is made only with the html response headers of a single small file.

This means, if something went wrong with the last update, and you haven't got *all* latest files, the Live Update *check* can't tell it for sure. As usual, you trade a very fast update check, with a somewhat less reliable update check result.

The main difference to any other FS product is, if they are checked in scenery library they work.

Because their are just "sceneries", our sceneries are more like programs than just sceneries and, their dependency from a single program, which is the Couatl interpreter, is made for the obvious advantages of the memory efficiency.

Take the OrbX sceneries, they are not "just sceneries" too, but opposite to the Addon Manager/Couatl combination, which manages all products from us and other developers too with a single executable, they have a SEPARATE .DLL for EACH scenery.

Yes, this has the advantage that if one module fails, only that scenery will have issues, but:

- Your precious FSX VAS memory space, which is a finite and very important resource, is wasted because if you have, let's say, 10 OrbX sceneries installed, every single .DLL file will take away memory from you, because they a .DLL module, being in-process with FSX, will be allocated in the FSX VAS memory space as soon as FSX starts, regardless if you fly over that scenery or not.

Compare this to the Addon Manager, which is just ONE .DLL, and takes the memory from FSX only once, regardless how many sceneries you have installed.

- Everything done by Couatl, doesn't take ANY precious VAS from FSX, because that's an external out-of-process .EXE file, so it has its own private 2GB address space so, whatever foul and complex calculation it will do, it won't consume a single byte of the FSX memory. The whole GSX code runs entirely outside FSX, so it can grow as complex as we want, but your FSX VAS allocation will be untouched.

Compare this to the AES in-process .DLL module, which instead takes away from FSX VAS memory too so, the more complex AES will be, the more VAS it will take away from FSX.

Yes, our system is quite complex, but you don't get memory efficiency "for free", if you are getting OOMs, you can be sure that we are doing our best to not contribute to them.

in the worst case prevents my GSX/ 14 FSDT airports and 4 Flightbeam sceneries from working normally.

But there's also the advantage that a single Stand-Alone Addon Manager update will fix them all at the same time. Instead, if they were all "self-contained", you would have to check for updates of every single scenery installer.