Author Topic: Chicago O'Hare 1.1 released  (Read 22883 times)

Mike...

Re: Chicago O'Hare 1.1 released
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 12:12:31 pm »
If it works, leave it. But it has been established, by individuals such as Jim Vile, that the preferred location for approach files is Scenery/Generic/Scenery.

So there's no separate update? Seems like a waste of bandwidth to me.

Then don't download.  Simple.

Ignorance is bliss. I have cable internet, I can download it quicker than I can type this post. It wasn't my bandwith I was talking about. Any way you look at it, bandwidth costs money. Part of the price of the scenery no doubt covers costs such as bandwidth usage, server maintenance, advertising, whatever... In that respect it is a waste to have users download the entire product for only a couple of changed files. Sure, this isn't the Avsim Library, so it probably won't make as big a difference, but still. And yes, there are a lot of people with less than ideal connections. Try downloading the file over a modem. Simple? Not really. ;D

thepilot

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 12:20:44 pm »
I hope they do not bring up a new installer everytime when the promised runway updates appear...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 02:22:42 pm »
Mike and or FSDT can we get a clarification please - as it stands now the new approach bgl is installed the scenery subfolder for O'hare. Is this in fact an issue and should it be moved to Scenery/Generic/scenery?

The AFCAD we supply works with the Approach AFCAD we added in 1.1, in the location they are installed right now. You can check this, by using the GPS or the Map View, and see that runway names are updated (10/28 in place of 9R/27L, for example) as related approaches are, this means the KORD_APPR.BGL is active.

You can also verify this, by putting the visibility down to less then 3 miles, forcing the airport go into IFR mode, and check that ILS approaches are being assigned to you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
It wasn't my bandwith I was talking about. Any way you look at it, bandwidth costs money. Part of the price of the scenery no doubt covers costs such as bandwidth usage, server maintenance, advertising, whatever...

You don't know how we pay bandwidth or even if we *do* pay our servers depending on bandwidth usage.

You should be more worried about people downloading the Trial and not buying the product, than the increase in size of the installer comparing to what it might have been if there was a patch. But, as I've said, the added bandwidth consumption of a product with a Trial, is far more offset by the fact we spend zero on advertising (because the Trial advertise the scenery better than any ad) so there's no negative effect on the product price caused by the installer size.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 02:58:34 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 02:41:55 pm »
I hope they do not bring up a new installer everytime when the promised runway updates appear...

You can bet on this.

New runways it's not just AFCAD work, but also the ground textures to be modified, taxiways as well, and the photo-real background will need to be compiled (that's the biggest file of the scenery), not to mention any additional buildings that will surely appear during the construction works.

markrey

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 03:24:35 pm »

The AFCAD we supply works with the Approach AFCAD we added in 1.1, in the location they are installed right now. You can check this, by using the GPS or the Map View, and see that runway names are updated (10/28 in place of 9R/27L, for example) as related approaches are, this means the KORD_APPR.BGL is active.

You can also verify this, by putting the visibility down to less then 3 miles, forcing the airport go into IFR mode, and check that ILS approaches are being assigned to you.

If it works, leave it.

Thanks guys - as I generally prefer to allow the dev to dictate how the product is installed, I'll use it as is.
Regards,
Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 04:36:45 pm »
Very well, so basically you're just making it difficult only for us, not for you. Some things never change.

You started saying that it's not your bandwidth you are worried with, because you were worried about our bandwidth costs might be reflected on the product price, I simply said that's not the case.

If there are enough people with a 56k modem that find it too difficult to download the installer, they'll make us hear their opinion. Don't you think we already have an idea, by looking at domains/IP numbers people downloading from and the time it takes to download a file, how is the percentage of users with a fast enough internet connection ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:00:25 pm by virtuali »

thepilot

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 05:10:40 pm »

You can bet on this.

New runways it's not just AFCAD work, but also the ground textures to be modified, taxiways as well, and the photo-real background will need to be compiled (that's the biggest file of the scenery), not to mention any additional buildings that will surely appear during the construction works.

Sure. But I suppose not every file needs to be re-done, so why not build an installer that just replaces/adds the necessary bmaps/bgls?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:52:31 pm by thepilot »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 08:45:14 pm »
Sure. But I suppose not every file needs to be re-done, so why not build an installer that just replaces/adds the necessary bmaps/bgls?

In FSX, the photoreal background bgl takes about 80% of the whole installer space because it contains textures inside the BGL. That one will surely change when additional runways and their related taxiways will be added so, there wouldn't be much saving comparing to the full installer. And, since the photoreal scenery use lossy compression for terrain, an incremental patcher wouldn't work very well either, because incremental changes in compressed binary files are not very efficient. In FS9 textures are all separate files, but still many will be affected by such change.

And, if we start distributing full installers and updates, it would become more complex and time consuming (and it will be worse with each subsequent release) for users to reinstall. Take Zurich as an example, if a user wanted to reinstall 1.3, he would have to install 1.0, then update to 1.1, then to 1.2, then to 1.3, instead of having just a file to keep track of, like we are doing now.

The very concept of a base product + updates, is the only method for developers without a Trial version: they don't have any other choice than using updaters, because they don't let you download the full product freely. Since this is not our case, offering a single installer it's the easiest solution (especially long term, when there will be more updates) for everyone.

arnold1628

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 03:01:53 am »
Did the issue with the missing jetway with the FS9 version get fixed in V1.1.  I know that awhile back someone posted a note about this missing jetway on the C gates (C12 or something like that) along with a google maps to show as example.  Just curious if this got addressed in this update.
Thanks again for everything.

Troy

B777ER

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 04:29:26 am »
Thanks for the update FSDT...appreciate it. Nevermind the trolls in here, 99.9% of us love what you guys do.
Eric

poqa

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 01:16:00 am »
hello everyone,

I have downloaded the new installer but it fails with some corruption
errors. i have tried download it multiple times, same results.

The error message says "source file is corrupted" which I interpret
as meaning that the file is corrupted in the archive.

It affects: Kord_T41_HW.bmp and subsequent files.

Do I have something wrong with my installed version or the ohare_setup.exe
file?

Thanks

Razgriz

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 01:23:16 am »
Is the Addon Manager X installed?

If not, get it here.

poqa

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 11:03:37 am »
Is the Addon Manager X installed?

If not, get it here.

It is installed but I don't see how this could help. You do not upgrade from within the Addonmanager.
Is there a problem with my current install. This error looks like a protection scheme to me. So it may
be the Ohare installer is missing a file somewhere and it get stuck. Yet my Ohare scenery works normally.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 01:03:38 pm »
This error looks like a protection scheme to me.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with protection, it might simply be you got a corrupted file somehow. Please, stand by, I'll check the file and, if it's really corrupted, I'll re-upload it.

EDIT:

I've just checked the file, downloading it again, and it's fine, installers runs, and is not corrupted. You must have had a transmission problem when you downloaded it. Try deleting the installer, clear your browser cache, then download it again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:28:18 pm by virtuali »