Author Topic: GSX, AFCADs and aircraft.cfg  (Read 15116 times)

hermit53

GSX, AFCADs and aircraft.cfg
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:58:37 pm »
Answers to frequent questions on this forum (it’s a bit of a long post).

There is a host of posts on this forum about parking spot sizes, types, etc. In many cases people think that some of the problems they encounter with GSX are FSDT related, where in effect they are due to a faulty AFCAD. GSX looks at the AFCAD –data and aircraft.cfg and acts accordingly. If the AFCAD and/or aircraft.cfg is wrong, things within GSX go wrong. It is certainly not entertaining for Umberto and anyone else for that matter to have to answer the same questions again and again, so some explanations are called for. You may have noted that some of the experienced and knowledgeable guys that hang out on these forums tend to get annoyed by these ‘stupid questions’ (which for newcomers aren’t all that stupid) and start to answer in a less polite way and scare you away.

Maybe Umberto can make this a sticky?!

First of all, what’s an AFCAD and an aircraft.cfg?

Let’s start by saying that, related to FSX, the use of the acronym AFCAD is basically wrong. AFCAD is a little utility to edit airport parking/taxiway systems and so on in FS2002 and FS9. It no longer works in FSX, since the related files have a different structure. However, the word AFCAD got stuck in the minds and is still used in FSX. So, if we talk about an AFCAD, it’s the file that determines gate types and sizes, taxiways, runways, runways holding points, etc. in FS. It’s basically a scenery file with the standard .bgl extention and resides in the scenery folder relevant to the specific scenery. For FSX (we only discuss FSX since GSX does not work in the previous versions of MSFS) there are two utilities to make new or edit existing AFCADs; e.g. ADEX9 (a freeware product from scruffyduck software) and AFX ( a payware product available through Flight1). ADEX9 is extremely powerful, allowing for many more operations than just basic AFCAD-editing. It is therefore slower, requires a lot of PC resources, but also trickier. There are some behind the scene actions that are not always desirable and you have to edit them out in the .xml file that AXEX9 produces when it compiles the AFCAD.bgl, which then has to be re-compiled manually. AFX on the contrary is much lighter in concept, therefore much faster and does not do anything hidden from your eyes that needs to be corrected manually. One major difference between ADEX9 and AFX is that the latter allows you do determine the pushback at every specific gate: none for drive-through parking, tail to the left, tail to the right or both. ADEX9 does not let you do that, you’d have to edit the .xml file for that, not something for the faint of heart. It’s easy to screw up an .xml file and get hopelessly lost. The advantage that ADEX9 has over AFX (and it’s a strong one) is that it doesn’t do anything to your default AFCAD until you tell it to do so. When you save a project, it does so in a specific form in its own folder. It will only do something with that file when you ask it to compile the airport and have specified the relevant scenery folder of that airport to compile it into. When you save in AFX, you automatically compile and overwrite the default AFCAD, unless you specifically tell AFX to save outside of FSX in a different folder! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, so back up your defaults, always!
I use both ADEX9 and AFX, depending on what I need to achieve! Let’s say ADEX9 is the Lamborghini Cheetah for the sophisticated, heavy duty stuff, AFX is the small utility for the fast trip to the supermarket around the corner (funny part is that the Cheetah comes for free, the utility wants to get paid for).

What, now is important in the AFCAD file and aircraft.cfg as far as GSX is concerned? Not that many features, but they are basic for any AFCAD to work:
-   Parking type. Basically we know: GATE, RAMP and CARGO. GATE can be subdivided in SMALL, MEDIUM and HEAVY. RAMP is used for GA planes divided in SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE , and has a sub-type as MILITARY_COMBAT. CARGO is CARGO, with the MILITARY_CARGO added as sub-type. To the inner workings of FSX SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE and HEAVY doesn’t mean anything. FSX only looks at: GATE, RAMP, CARGO, MILITARY_CARGO and MILITARY_COMBAT, period, end of story gate type! Where a plane is going depends on what is specified in the aircraft.cfg file, a sub-file of the aircraft file in your SIMOBJECTS folder. This sub-file is all about repaints (most will know this file from adding repaints) and a lot of other settings better left alone. What is important here are three specifics: for every repaint you should/must have the atc_parking_types= entry! Without it FSX parks you or an AI-plane wherever it sees fit, which is always there where it shouldn’t park! A very important note in this context for repainters and those that add repaints: scheduled and non-scheduled airlines should ALWAYS specify atc_parking_types=GATE !!!!!! Too often we see either RAMP or GATE,RAMP. WRONG, No Good, big NO-NO, monumental Screw-Up, and so on. Seeing a Delta flight go to a ramp on the other side of the airport for de-boarding where usually freighters do their thing really sucks! FSX is not able to handle traffic overflow situations very well, so if there is an overflow situation (which in real life means planes with a long rotation schedule, like long-haul flights, get parked on ramps away from the terminals to free up gates), turn down traffic percentage in FSX-settings or get a good IA-traffic file! And let FSX idle away for 5-10 minutes after you fired it up, it needs time to digest AI-traffic and settle in on the schedules.
For the same reason, people that make AFCADs should specify a GATE as a GATE and nothing else. A GATE is a GATE and not a RAMP. Do you ever see a C172 parked at a GATE at JFK? In FSX that’s where it might go if you specify a GATE as RAMP!
-   Again, in every repaint part there is another important entry: atc_parking_codes=XXX. These codes specify the airline. If you want an American Airlines plane to park at its specific terminal gates in KLAX or KJFK you enter AAL, DAL stands for Delta, UAL for United, KLM for KLM (surprise) and so on, you get the drift. There are plenty of listings out on the web with all these codes, which usually are the IATA codes. All available airlines in FSX are listed in a place holder file, missing airlines can be added in a variety of ways, EditVoicePack is one of them for instance. ADEX9 and AFX look at that placeholder list and allow you so to specify the code for each parking spot. You can add as many as you like (for code-share flights for instance). In this context good airport terminal info is crucial to make it as real as it gets (phew, what a cliché that has become).
-   Third important entry in the aircraft.cfg file: the wingspan! FSX looks for a parking spot that equals half the wing span expressed in meters! The wing span value in the aircraft.cfg file has been specified by whoever conceived the aircraft. Since this value does not influence the flying behavior of the aircraft FSX aircraft much, you could make it basically as small or big as you like. However, make it too small and you can have your plane looking for the spot of a C172, too big and it may not find any parking spots at all. This fact allows for some interesting personalization, but that’s another story all together. So, look at the stated wing span in the aircraft.cfg file, convert it to meters (as it is expressed in feet) cut that figure in half and you have the parking spot radius that aircraft will be looking for! There is now a general consensus amongst especially AI-aircraft designers what radius/wingspan to use:
•   8-10 meters for GA aircraft with type RAMP (SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE, who cares);
•   12-15 meters for commuters (CRJ, ATR, ERJ, Dash8) with type GATE (GATE small);
•   18-19 meters for short/medium haul airliners (B737 series, Airbus 2xx series) with type GATE(GATE small);
•   24-27 meters for medium size planes (B757, B767, AB306, etc.) with type GATE (GATE medium);
•   36-37 meters for the heavies (B747, AB343 series, etc.) with type GATE (GATE heavy);
•   40 meters for the super-heavies (AB380) with type GATE (GATE heavy);
•   50 meters for the big freighters (B747F) with type CARGO (however, if you have a small freighter like Aloha Cargo uses the Saab 340 cargo version, you can use a smaller radius for the CARGO dock and specify AAH as code and their B737 freighter will not park there, works great).

So, to summarize: the aircraft.cfg data for wingspan should about match the parking radius (or vice-versa if you will), the atc_parking_types= should match the AFCAD parking type and the atc_parking_codes= should match the AFCAD parking code. If that is the case, every aircraft will go there where it should, unless there is a hopeless overflow situation, in that case you will see AI popping in and out of the parallel universe like if the Adams Family was in charge of ATC.
GSX looks at the aircraft.cfg file and the AFCAD file for these 3 specifications, at least as I understand it, to determine if the spot where you are/should go is big enough, is of the right type and to know what pushback truck it needs and what service company to use. If there is a glitch in any of these 3 specifications, GSX could go bezirk.
In such a case you cannot blame FSDT, they did NOT produce the aircraft.cfg file and (apart from their own airports) did NOT produce the AFCAD. Stop barking up the wrong tree, find out who did this to you and email the guilty one, post on his/her/their forum, send them a rotten apple for Christmas, whatever it takes to get their attention and hope for the best. In case of no reply/action, it’s not that hard to correct the specs in the aircraft.cfg file (make a back-up!!!!). If you feel up to it, you can work on the AFCAD (can be tricky for newbies), if not hope for somebody to produce and upload a good alternative to the default.
One last thing, what really knocks GSX out off its shoes and completely off the beaten track are duplicate AFCAD files for the same airport. Many third-party add-ons, especially AI-traffic providers tend to sneak some AFCAD-like files into active FSX scenery files without you knowing it. Use something like FSX Airport Scanner (scruffyduck again) to hunt these down and dump them!

I hope some may find use in the above, any good questions, just shoot.

Hans Wilms

Lawgiver

Re: GSX, AFCADs and aircraft.cfg
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:17 am »
Hi Hans,

Thanks for posting this.  This is by far the best explanation I have read.  Very easy to understand.  I am just learning about AFCADS and such.  I would love to fix some of the errors at the airports I fly into.  I have a couple of questions.  If what I have been reading about AFCADS is correct, they also control where the plane finally stops in relation to the ramp/gate assignment.  For instance, my home airport of KCAK, your final parking position is well beyond the ramp parking "T" on the external view.  Neither GSX or FSX is happy when I stop on the "T"  This is fine if you are not in an area close to a building or want to use a jetway.  AI are parked the same by FSX.  Well beyond the parking "T" on the ramp.  In one case, an AI had its nose in contact with a building.  What area of the AFCAD controls the parking and what needs to be modified.  I just want to move the center back a little bit so at least the nose wheel comes close to the parking "T".   Thanks for your time. 

Regards,
Rob

hermit53

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:42:18 am »
Hi Rob,

First of all, get either ADEX9 (free download) or AFX (buy from Flight1) and install (seems obvious). Reading the manual never hurts…… (this of course is a huge understatement  ;)). The ADEX9 manual is a hefty 139 pages, to fix the problems you refer to you need to probably read 3 of those! Don’t remember how many pages for AFX.

Start ADEX9/AFX and then start FSX in windowed mode (makes it easier to switch between the two with Alt+Tab). In FSX, position yourself at the gate you want to modify with preferably the aircraft that should fit the gate (I normally use the default B737 and B747, they are ‘lite’ to load and slightly oversize, so if they fit anything else will). Go to outside top view (once S and then 3 times A) and zoom in to a comfortable level. Switch to ADEX9/AFX and open the relevant AFCAD file of your airport. Here AFX makes life much easier, because you simple click Open and in the search box enter the airport ICAO code or you drill down the tree on the left with simple straight-forward names. Hit search and in a window below you will see all relevant files listed. The top one is the one you want because it’s the highest ranking one, open that one by double clicking. With AEDX9 you have to search/drill down to the actual file in Explorer, if it doesn’t have an obvious name like AFX_something.bgl you’re in trouble because you need to figure out how the author named the file by opening one after another until you hit bingo. For default airports it’s easier, you can open those in the same way as AFX. BTW, if you see too many files in that list in AFX, you may already be in trouble in GSX!! Check them one by one to see what they actually are. There may be phony ones for specific technical purposes, but if one of them is a full blown AFCAD other than the default (which cannot really be deleted, but being bottom of the list gets overruled), find out where it resides and move them out off the way. Once you found the subject file in either ADEX9 or AFX, do yourself a big favor and back it up for safety!!!!!

OK, you have the AFCAD file open, now ‘lock’ the position to FSX. You will find that option in View or whatever it’s called (don’t exactly remember, I use these utilities almost with my eyes closed  ::)), ADEX9/AFX will now be centered on the position of your aircraft in FSX. Go to FSX, go into slew mode ‘Y’ (it may be necessary to temporarily disable your joystick!) and set your NumLock of the numeric keypad to OFF. Now you can slew your plane to the correct position with the numeric arrow keys (2, 4, 8, 6, you stop with 5, 1 and 3 rotate the aircraft in the horizontal plane). Once you’re happy with the position in FSX, switch back to ADEX9/AFX and drag the center of the circle that represents the gate over the center (red cross) of the FSX position. You can rotate the ‘gate circle’ by dragging the dot above it left or right. Do the same with all the gates you want to modify. Double-clicking the ‘gate-circle’ brings up the properties box, which allows you to change radius, gate number, gate type, airline code, the whole works. When you’re happy, save! In AFX you will immediately change the actual AFCAD, in ADEX9 you will save to an intermediate file, that you can then compile into the actual .bgl by clicking File/Compile Airport.

That was easy, wasn’t it?! If you really want to get into AFCAD creation, you’re in for some serious studying. Read the manual(s) and search the web for more info. My favorite spot to start is fsdeveloper, you’ll find most of the gurus there. Lots of info on their Wiki and extremely patient forum members that will help you all the way through.

A piece of advice here, you’re obviously someone that spends a little money on add-ons. Use some of that to get AFX. As explained ADEX9 is extremely powerful and much more than a simple AFCAD-editor. There is a learning curve though and as a beginner you could easily get lost in the thick of the woods and end up completely frustrated and de-motivated. Not the way to go. AFX is easier to get under your belt and build up an appetite. Once you’re hooked you’ll reach the stage where you want/need to go also ADEX9.

Have fun and I hope your misses likes soap operas, that'll keep her off your back when you enjoy  ;D

Hans

Lawgiver

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:26:07 am »
Good Lord.........................maybe I'll start off with a drink first.....    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Looks like I won't be jumping into the deep end of the pool right away, but slowly wading in from the shallow end.  I did head over to Flight one and check out AFX.  I'm hoping you are referring to the US $29.95 version vs the $199.99 commercial version.  Don't know what the differences are between the two.  Flight one was not clear about that other than it's a "commercial" version for devs.  One thing to note, they recommend using XP with the software.  Quoting from the product page "Windows XP Recommended - Although Airport Facilitator X may operate under Vista, Flight One can't make any guarantees that you will not encounter problems when using the software with Vista".  I haven't used XP in years.  I was wondering if you have used this software with Vista or Win 7 and had any issues.  Also, do you have any thoughts on "Airport Studio" from Flight one?  When I searched for AFX on Flight one's homepage, both products were displayed.  Kind of leery about that one.  The old saying "You get what you pay for" was ringing in my ears.   Thanks for your time Hans, I appreciate it. 

Regards,
Rob

hermit53

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »
Hi Rob,
What drink do you have in mind, must be 'Sudden Discomfort'  ;D
You want the $ 29.95 version, the dev version is for people that publish payware!
I run it on Win7 62bit like greased lighting, no worries there! Just make sure you install and run it with administrator rights, so it will actually write to files!!
No need to get Airport Studio, it's a bit of both meat and fish. It works with standard FSX scenery objects and whatever you pick up from Avsim, Flightsim, etc., not really interesting if you want to get as close as possible to real life renderings of your favorite airport. I personally find Flight1 Instant Scenery to be much more useful.
You'll find there are much better utilities to create custom scenery once you get to that point, but that might be a bunch of drinks ahead!

Hans

Lawgiver

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:04:37 am »
Hi Hans,

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.  Picked up AFX from Flight one.  Not as bad as I thought and actually looks interesting.  Definitely a learning curve though.  I am going to take the weekend and see what havoc I can create, and I have plenty of Sam Adams in the fridge.  :D

Regards,
Rob

jvile

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:23 am »
One major difference between ADEX9 and AFX is that the latter allows you do determine the pushback at every specific gate: none for drive-through parking, tail to the left, tail to the right or both. ADEX9 does not let you do that,

Hi Hans

The reason ADE9X does not expose the 4 pushback attributes is because MS never activated them. They have nothing to do with the User Plane and are there for AI Planes (if they had been coded).

Its my understanding that GSX is no longer looking at that data and the pushback turns are now part of the GSX utility and not the SDK.

hope this is helpful

jim

jvile

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:15 am »

Snip-----------

I just want to move the center back a little bit so at least the nose wheel comes close to the parking "T".   Thanks for your time. 

Regards,
Rob

Moving the actual parking spot backwards also moves the Tee the same amount. That means it will not help in setting the nose wheel closer to the Tee.

Using ADE9X there are 4 Tee settings per parking spot. MS gave us 4 different Tee's so we can park different size planes in a parking spot and stop in the correct place (same as real world). The ADE9X Manual has a good section with pictures on how to set the Tee's so the nose wheel of your specific plane will be on the Tee and at the same time center of the parking spot (which GSX requires).

I do not use AFX so Hans will have to tell you if that utility allows the 4 Tee's to be set.

hope this helps

jim

Lawgiver

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:10:19 am »
Hmmmm.....Now I am confused.  What Hans and others are telling me is "visually" you will not see any changes.  It would be the same as re-sizing a parking spot to allow a larger aircraft to park in the position.  Visually, there is plenty of room but the AFCAD is coded for smaller AC.  The actual textures will not be affected ???

Regards,
Rob

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:02:01 am »
Its my understanding that GSX is no longer looking at that data and the pushback turns are now part of the GSX utility and not the SDK.

GSX still looks at the Pushback preference in the AFCAD, but now the user can override it using the parking customization option. We found that values in the default sceneries seems to have been set fairly accurately, so it made sense using them.