Author Topic: Cross-Bleed start is not possible  (Read 6190 times)

Graziani

Cross-Bleed start is not possible
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:56:48 pm »
I use cross-bleed to start NGX. Many airlines around the world use this procedure due that the APU fuel is very expensive.
Using GSX is not possible due that NGX require that I start APU to have pushback, so, If I need start the APU , I can't do the process to cross-bleed start (We apply this process just to not have to connect the APU !! )  ::)
My suggestion to FSDT team is to create a parameter to assign If you want that GSX control the APU state, doors, etc..
Sorry If I repeat the topic.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cross-Bleed start is not possible
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:20:58 pm »
My suggestion to FSDT team is to create a parameter to assign If you want that GSX control the APU state, doors, etc..

GSX doesn't control anything, it's only reading the status of the airplane, it doesn't control it.

Having an option to ignore the doors status is just wrong: you are citing the cross-bleed APU as an example of realistic operation, yet you would like to add an option that would allow baggage and service persons to enter the airplane with the doors closed ?

In any case, a better solution coule be we can add a check to ignore the APU requirement, if one engine is running already.

Of course, since the GSX pushback menu can't be accessed unless both engines are off, the procedure will be like this:

- With both engines off, connect the Air start unit.

- Use GSX to ask for Pushback, and as soon the truck moves and the voice says "Captain, are you ready for pushback", start one Engine with the Air starter.

- The Pushback will ask to remove the Air starter, just wait until the engine is running, then disconnect it and let the pushback begin.

Graziani

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »
Hello Umberto,
When I told that GSX has a control I mean that GSX doesn't do the requested action untill you follow the warning message (white line and beep).

See below ...

Pushback Sequence of operations
In order to start Pushback, you need to start at the parking place with engines off
and parking brakes on. All ground connections like auxiliary power units, air units,
wheel chocks and similar must be removed too. GSX is able to recognise some of
these features from the most popular 3rd party airplane products, and will not allow
starting push
if any of such ground connections are still attached to the airplane.

GSX will recognize it having a custom-made APU, and will prompt you to start it before Pushing back

We can not have cross-bleed start If the air unit is disconnected and engine is off.

My suggestion is an option in the menu that we can assign If GSX will check the APU is ON and accept the start pushback If one engine is running.
Thanks for this amazing product!
Mauricio Graziani

Guenseli

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
Good point +1 ...

Indeed I can't see why GSX takes care about APU is on or off?
Couldn't the pushback be started despite whatever the captain wants to do?

In the end you could say, it is the captains fault if he hasn't taken care if he wants the APU up or not or whatever ...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:05 pm »
When I told that GSX has a control I mean that GSX doesn't do the requested action untill you follow the warning message (white line and beep).

See below ...

That's exactly what I've say, GSX doesn't have control of the APU, you have, and by acting on the APU, you control GSX. GSX is a passive actor here, which is what the meaning of "control" is. Maybe you wanted to say "create a parameter to assign If you want that GSX *checks* the APU state, doors"

Having a separate menu option it's not possible, because GSX doesn't really know anything about what an APU is, it's far too flexible to work with such specific case. For GSX, there's only the generic concept of a "Pushback constrain", which can be anything, a wheel chock, an air starter, a stewardess figure, etc. and, more important, is nothing hard-coded in GSX itself, which doesn't know anything about such conditions, it's something that is specific to an airplane definition, and can be different for every airplane.

As I've said, the most sensible way would be that GSX will allow pushback with the APU off IF there's at least one engine running, which implies a cross-bleed start.

There's no need to more and more menu options, which means the product will be a nuisance to use (because a set of a menu options might be right for an airplane/airport, but not for another one, it's much better to make the program smarter, without having to touch any menu.

Guenseli

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »
thanks for the reply, Umberto.

What I do not understand is, why GSX ic coupled to any conditions?
Why couldn't there be the freedom of simming that we could pushback like we want?
APU running or not, engine running or not - could be all regardless to GSX ... if a simpilot wants to do pushback with everything unrealistic, why not? (However, GSX could give out notifications/rants to the pilot)

A background here exists:
the B377 from A2A has an aircondition, but this is weak under certain, extreme conditions.
To get 21 degree cabin temperature (to make PAX happy) you have sometimes run engine 3 to have enough power.
And this should be done before and during PAX load - and then the engine is running also durinf pushback.
(However it is not realistic - but what is realism in a simulated world)

All in all, I think, we do not need more parameters for GSX looking for certain conditions; GSX should do it's thing, regardless if it is realistic!
Wouldn't this be the most flexible option for GSX?

many thanks,
Günter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »
What I do not understand is, why GSX ic coupled to any conditions? Why couldn't there be the freedom of simming that we could pushback like we want?

Because those conditions can be anything, not just the APU, but attached air carts, gpu, wheel chocks, air condition units, etc. and it would be highly unrealistic you would be allowed to pushback with all this stuff attached, and many users will blame GSX if it allowed it.

I repeat and confirm this will be improved in the way that, for those airplanes that have a pushback restriction related to an APU, we'll add a check to ignore it if at least one engine is running and this is the best possible solution for an APU, because it will allow cross-bleed start, which was what this thread was about.

Most of the airplanes supported by GSX don't have any pushback restrictions of any kind (all the Level 0 and Level 1 ) and just three of the Level 2 have a check on the APU, the CS757, the Feelthere E-Jets and the PMDG 737, and that's it.