Author Topic: Problem with XP compatibility mode.  (Read 7266 times)

rasonchia

Problem with XP compatibility mode.
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:41:07 am »
I have the Airbus X by Aerosoft and I need to run FSX on compatibility Mode(Windows XP service Pack 2) for the plane to work properly, After I installed GSX, I ran it on compatibility mode and and error of "bglmanx.dll is third party addon,......." If I click yes to run, I get a CRASH TO DESTOP, If I click NO, GSX will just not work in FSX but I still can start flying.   ???

I tried turning off compatibility mode and GSX works perfectly but my Airbus X does not work properly.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit
Intel i3, 8 gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series :'(

PLS HELP !!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:27:08 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX-GSX problem(bglmanx.dll)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:41 am »
I have the Airbus X by Aerosoft and I need to run FSX on compatibility Mode(Windows XP service Pack 2) for the plane to work properly

That's really shouldn't be needed, XP Compatibility mode has lots of other side effects, like problems with disappearing objects and even performance problems.

The Aerosoft Airbus works without setting the XP Compatibility mode without any problems: the reasons why they advice to run in XP Compatibility mode, it's likely because the product tries to write into FSX folder (or the FSX\Gauges folder or any other folder inside FSX), and this is by default forbidden under Vista/Windows 7, since proper Vista/Windows7 apps should only write into the %APPDATA% folder, like all our products correctly do, for example.

The issue is, FSX is by default installed into C:\Program Files, which is why some developers requires either you run FSX As Administrator (which might be one solution) or using the XP Compatibility mode, which is probably the worse possible solution, because of all the other side-effects and compatibility problems with other proper Vista/Windows 7 apps that are run at the same time.

A much better solution would be changing permissions for your FSX folder (and subfolders too), and give your user account write permissions to it, you can do this by right clicking on the FSX root folder, select the "Security" tab,  click on the "Edit.." button, then "Add" your user account with "Full Control" permissions.

Or, look here for a more detailed explanation:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/

This is the same as installing FSX into a custom folder, which is usually a smart thing to do, to deal with non Vista-compliant addons that needs to write in the FSX folder, but in this case you don't have to reinstall FSX.

rasonchia

Re: Problem with XP compatibility mode.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:10 pm »
Thanks for ur advice , I will test it out and see if it works :D

rasonchia

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:00:05 am »
OK, I have tried all the things to mentioned, putting the folder and fsx itself as full control but I still cannot run airbus x properly, it keeps crashing but with compatibility mode on, it does not crash at all !!! ???

mseiwald

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:17 am »
Hm you must have a problem somewhere. I'm also running Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit but i don't need to run FSX in compatibility mode for the Airbus X to work properly.

rasonchia

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:15 am »
Does yrs work with muiltiplayer and it does not crash, it works fine in single player but just crashes each time i try to load it in a gamespy session. If i have compatibility mode on, it would not crash and just work properly .... I am not sure wat the problem is though, i have reinstalled airbus x several times. and it still coming up with the same problems

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:27:43 pm »
OK, I have tried all the things to mentioned, putting the folder and fsx itself as full control but I still cannot run airbus x properly, it keeps crashing but with compatibility mode on, it does not crash at all !!! ???

Try running FSX As Administrator and/or turn off UAC (User Account Control)

rasonchia

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:21 am »
I always had my UAC turned off, but i tried running fsx with the option "run as admin" , I still get the crashes, it did not fix the problem

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »
You might try to reinstall the Aerosoft Airbus with the changed permissions, UAC off and As Administrator, it's possible some settings that were made at install time need to be redone with the XP Compatibility off, because the XP Compatibility mode also redirects all calls to the registry.