Author Topic: GSX uninstalled - but not really?  (Read 22788 times)

Kosta

GSX uninstalled - but not really?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:17 am »
Even if uninstalled GSX, even when I reinstalled addon manager (my FSDT airports weren't working after GSX uninstall!!) I get now this?:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31158446/GSX%20Uninstall%20Problem.jpg
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX uninstalled - but not really?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:51 pm »
Try to remove the fsdreamteam\GSX folder, if it's still there.

It's normal your other sceneries wouldn't work if you uninstall GSX, you need to either reinstall the sceneries OR the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

Kevin_FS

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:38 pm »
I have the same message about regenerating airport cache although my GSX is installed correctly I assume. I get this message everytime I launch FSX.
Is this supposed to be like that because I couldn't find anything in the manual about this.

Regards,

D'hertefelt Kevin
D'hertefelt Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:17:31 pm »
I have the same message about regenerating airport cache although my GSX is installed correctly I assume. I get this message everytime I launch FSX.

Not normal, and shouldn't happen, it should happen only after you make a change to the Scenery Library.

Kevin_FS

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:47:47 pm »
Found the culprit, just like you said, it's only when changes are applied to the Scenery Library. I was deselecting some airports of AES, so FSX has to regenerate the Scenery Library each time.

Thanks for the help!
D'hertefelt Kevin

Kosta

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:38 pm »
Try to remove the fsdreamteam\GSX folder, if it's still there.

It's normal your other sceneries wouldn't work if you uninstall GSX, you need to either reinstall the sceneries OR the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

Did. Also the one in the couatl folder.
Now I opened my FSX, it said couatl update something, so I let it do it.
While it was doing, I noticed something with an GSX update, and now it's doing the same scenery cache thing...
And GSX is back to it's "working" state.

Why can't I remove the simple program I installed????
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »
Now I opened my FSX, it said couatl update something, so I let it do it.

You could have dismissed the update. The issue is, GSX has now replaced the ParkMe features that was integrated in the sceneries so, if you have the sceneries installed and do the Live update, it will restore GSX, since there's no reason why (being free) one could possibly want to keep the sceneries installed without GSX.

If the reason you uninstalled GSX was just because your sceneries stopped to work, that's not obviously a GSX problem but, something else in your system (antivirus, missing libraries, etc) that prevented the updated Addon Manager/Couatl to run so, removing GSX wouldn't fix that, because if you reinstall the sceneries, they will still download exactly the same version of the Addon Manager/Couatl programs that come with GSX so, the solution shouldn't be uninstalling GSX, but fixing your problem.

A solution to disable GSX and still be able to get updates, is:

- Open the file at %APPDATA%\VIRTUALI\Couatladdons.ini with Notepad

look the section [gsx], there should be several parameters related to timings like refueling time, etc. after the last one, add the following:

Disable=1

And save the modified file back.

Kosta

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:14 pm »
If the reason you uninstalled GSX was just because your sceneries stopped to work

You misunderstood:
1) installed GSX
2) unhappy (jetways)
3) uninstalled GSX from CP
4) KLAX not working (no buildings)
5) reinstalled standalone manager - buildings back
6) GSX updating although completely uninstalled

As I have AES, I hardly need ParkMe or something I think. I think GSX ParkMe is better, but I can't have it over AES if AES is activated on the scenery, right?

something else in your system (antivirus, missing libraries, etc) that prevented the updated Addon Manager/Couatl to run so, removing GSX wouldn't fix that, because if you reinstall the sceneries, they will still download exactly the same version of the Addon Manager/Couatl programs that come with GSX so,

So correct to understand - even without installing GSX, one would get GSX for ParkMe just through the update?
Regards, Kosta

Kosta

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:26 pm »
I just want to have a situation I had BEFORE I installed GSX.
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:36 pm »
As I have AES, I hardly need ParkMe or something I think. I think GSX ParkMe is better, but I can't have it over AES if AES is activated on the scenery, right?

That's not true, you can have different solution to use them together at the same airport (for example disable the GSX marshaller with the parking editor) or just disable just a single airport in GSX, without the need to remove it entirely.

So correct to understand - even without installing GSX, one would get GSX for ParkMe just through the update?

If you have the sceneries installed, or the GSX folder is still there, yes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »
I just want to have a situation I had BEFORE I installed GSX.

As I've said, dismiss the Live Update. OR, after uninstalling GSX, reinstall of the sceneries with the network disconnected, but then you might not get the most current version.

Note that GSX functions replacing the previous ParkMe will come automatically with every scenery, as it was for ParkMe before. The only way to really disable GSX and being able to use the most updated sceneries is as I've explained before with the .INI file.

Kosta

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:51 pm »
OK, I basically understand what you are telling me.

But just one simple question:
Why didn't I have any troubles before installation of GSX?
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:49 pm »
OK, I basically understand what you are telling me

Sorry disregard my latest message, but I've double checked the Couatl updater and no, it updates GSX ONLY if it's already installed. Basically, if there's already a fsdreamteam\Couatl\GSX folder, and it's not empty.

Why didn't I have any troubles before installation of GSX?

As I've said, and I'll repeat it again, GSX is not the cause, the cause is that something in your system (antivirus, system libraries, etc) prevented the updated versions of the Addon Manager or Couatl files to run so, you would have encountered exactly the same problem even without installing GSX, but just reinstalling any scenery.

Kosta

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 11:27:53 pm »
OK, let's play this card:

There is no AV on my system active.
All updates are install, including all .NET and latest updates, and all other usual libraries.
Running this machine as Administrator.

So what can be wrong?
Regards, Kosta

Kosta

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:30:39 pm »
And I tried running COUATL UPDATER from the FSDT folder, with GSX folder deleted, and the first thing it starts download is couatl_GSX.zip.
Regards, Kosta