Author Topic: Taxiway overpasses causing crashes  (Read 3605 times)

Highiron

Taxiway overpasses causing crashes
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:22:46 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I've been spending some time lately at LAX in Prepar3D and have been encountering problems on the taxiways. While taxing on Alpha and Charlie I am encountering "boulder" like mounds poking though the ground which when hit cause the aircraft to crash. I think this also relates to a post just below mine regarding "taxiway A". I don't recall the intersection on Alpha, but it was at an overpass toward the west end. On taxiway Charlie, it is located between Charlie 6 (C6) and Charlie 5 (C5) and also over an overpass. The aircraft jumps, the engines shut down and the simulation ends due to a crash. I'm under the impression that the problems are related to the missing ground under the taxiways. I have my terrain mesh complexity settings to the maximum 1 meter resolution and all other sliders are full right.

Also on a seperate subject, after installing GSX, I have no approach lighting and no PAPI/VASI approach slope indicators at KLAX. The hold short lighting is functioning though.
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Taxiway overpasses causing crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:26:16 pm »
About the bumps, have you set the terrain resolution as suggested in the manual ?

About the PAPI, we'll check this.

Highiron

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:03:52 am »
Hi Umberto,

I changed the resolution to 5m/pixel and it solved the problem at the overpasses and the boulder mounds. I hope lowering the resolution has no effect on Orbx scenery. I seem to recall some airports required the maximum setting to avoid mounds on their taxiways, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

Also checked in regards to the PAPI's. They all do work. I was approaching runways 25L and 25R which have no PAPI's by the looks of it. It would exlpain why I did not see them. Sorry for the false alarm.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:49:29 am by Highiron »
Cheers,
Cpt. Thad Wheeler

caffman263

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35:47 am »
That's correct to RW as I remember, the 25's don't have PAPIs but the 24's do. I believe this is because the 24's are older.