Author Topic: Framerates  (Read 8152 times)

bkircher

• Beta tester
Framerates
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:16:16 am »
Hi there

Its me again. I have a question. I recently took off from Mexico City (mmmx) which is one of the biggest cities in the world, and at their airport, i averaged 10-15fps. With ORD parked at the gate, I am getting 3fps.

My comp is no slouch
Amd dual core 4600 2.4ghz x2
nvidia 8800gts 640 mb
4gigs ram
320gig hd

fsx sp2 settings:
target frames 35
LOD-large
Mesh complexity-100
Mesh resolution- 38m
texture resolution- 1m
water 2x high
scenery complexity-extremely dense
autogen-normal(with tweaks)
special effects-high
no ground shadows
air traffic-100%
cars-20%
airport cars 100%
FEX
GEX
UTX
and a few tweaks
latest nvidia drivers
no sp2 preview

any ideas? Like i said i took off in Mexico MMMX with the same settings with nearly triple frames. WIth these settings the sim runs smooth at most other US airports, still averaging around 10fps

Help is always good
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:18:05 am by bkircher »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Framerates
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »
With ORD parked at the gate, I am getting 3fps.

air traffic-100%
UTX

any ideas?

THIS is the problem. You are trying to use a traffic package that was designed for FS9, that wasn't even very fps friendly in FS9. Even if you used FS9, I would suggest replacing the models with something better, like those WOAI, Aiardwark, EvolveAI, etc.

With a real world schedule and a full AFCAD with all parking stands available, there's no PC in the world that can handle that load.

The only thing you can do, is to:

- Lower your AI %

- Use a traffic package with native FSX models, possibly highly optimized for fps. UTX is probably the worse choice today. It's nice for schedules and options, but the models aren't very good.

Like i said i took off in Mexico MMMX with the same settings with nearly triple frames. WIth these settings the sim runs smooth at most other US airports, still averaging around 10fps

Triple of 3 fps is still very bad. Of course, using a default airport, AFCAD parking stands are much less than reality, that's the *only* reason why you are getting better fps, there aren't as many AI.

Try BOTH sceneries at 0% AI, and see what's happening.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:03:22 pm by virtuali »

bkircher

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:10:01 pm »
Ok

not ultimate traffic, ultimate terrain x

also i only use modeles from evai, woai, tfs, aia, etc

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:48 pm »
not ultimate traffic, ultimate terrain x

Doesn't matter, if you have busy/real world schedules, the quantity would be as high as Ultimate Traffic

also i only use modeles from evai, woai, tfs, aia, etc

Doesn't matter, since there are no FSX native version for these models. These were good choices in FS9. Or, better yet, these were *mandatory* choices in FS9, for an airport THIS size, especially with a real world schedule, and KORD is one of the busiest airports in the world.

In FSX, you really can't expect a performance level from these FS9 models, both because of the sheer *number* of AI you can see at KORD with 100% density, and BOTH because you are trying to use FS9 models in FSX and anything done for FS9 IS slower in FSX, because is using a different rendering path for the backward compatibility.

Or, better yet, try the KORD AFCAD over the *default* KORD scenery with AI at 100%. You will probably have similarly bad fps. You really can't expect an addon scenery to auto-magically speed up the rendering of 300+ AI airplanes, something that no PC can really do, even when there's no scenery.

With such number, just the AI textures alone (without even start counting the scenery, the landclass, weather, clouds, the user airplane, the VC textures, etc) will be able to fill up your VRAM. Once textures don't fit in VRAM anymore, performance will dramatically drop.

I repeat and confirm: your 3 fps figure is entirely due to the AI. As I've said, try with AI at 0%, and see what's happening.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:32:27 pm by virtuali »

bkircher

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:48:20 am »
fps without ai is around 12-13

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:00:09 am »
fps without ai is around 12-13

Still very bad, for your config. I have about 28-30 fps with 15% AI, at default, with a Core Duo 2 2.66 mhz, and 8800 GTX, not *really* much more powerful than yours.

Try lowering Airport vehicles density. We don't have much of those at O'Hare, but maybe another nearby airport might interfering. Also, try scenery complexity at Dense, this might draw less skyscrapers in downtown Chicago that are still visible from KORD. Scenery range at "Large" with Ultimate Terrain X might be too much, try it at "Middle" setting.

Also, try setting the fps to "unlimited". Setting at 35 doesn't make any sense, you would normally want to put it on an integer divider of your monitor refresh frequency so, setting it at 35 (unless you have a CRT monitor at 70 hz) doesn't help with anything. You might be better served either with setting it at 20, or to "Unlimited"

Also, since you are running DX9, be sure you don't use Light Bloom, that alone might kill half of your frame rate.

And, putting Water Effects to "2.0 Mid" or "2.0 Low" result in a *very* similar quality, with *much* better fps.

Try all of these together...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:08:42 am by virtuali »

bkircher

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:58:15 am »
fps are still about the same with the settings that u gave me to try. i lowerd the scenery compleixity, and the LOD. I feel that with what i have experimented the water when i change it doesnt seem to affect my fps that much. it seems the biggest jump that i got when adjusting the setting was when i changed the fps to unlimited. but it is really frustrating to me that no matter what change i make the fps stay the same. as for the ai traffic i am to leave that untouched i like seeing my airports jam packed like n real life.

any tweaks or setting changes that u recommend?

bkircher

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:59 pm »
any other tweaks that u recommend? I changed the complexity to what u recommended but then realiexed that it took away some of the jetways at airports, and i want those so i changed it back.