Author Topic: Addon manager keeps putting flying tips on  (Read 4631 times)

davidv

Addon manager keeps putting flying tips on
« on: April 05, 2008, 03:31:10 pm »
The addon manager module that is installed with the scenery keeps turning FS's internal flying tips on which I find quite annoying. I also have to manually turn off the active gates and everything every time I start up FS9 (I use AES so I don't need them).

Is there any way to disable all of this by default, and also is it possible to not have this module running all the time?

Thanks for the great scenery btw, just hope I can get these little snags figured out.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon manager keeps putting flying tips on
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 04:35:22 pm »
The addon manager module that is installed with the scenery keeps turning FS's internal flying tips

Are you sure you are seeing the FS flying tips ? Those usually appears in a blue bar. The ones appearing in the green bar are not FS flying tips, but Addon Manager messages, and should usually appear when activating gates, but only in sceneries that have our animated gates, not at O'Hare, that has static gates to be animated by AES. Other messages are only appearing when starting or ending the Trial, so they don't appear when the scenery is registered.

I also have to manually turn off the active gates and everything every time I start up FS9 (I use AES so I don't need them)

As I've said, there aren't any active gates at O'Hare, that setting should not matter at all.

I can't see any flying tips, unless I go to a scenery that the Addon Manager supports, and use non-AES Active Gates, like Cloud9 KLAX, for example.

The options for messages in the Addon Manager control the following:

- "Active Gates" Control the Active Gates in non-AES sceneries that uses our Active Gates system, but not the messages. So, in a scenery that has Active Gates, turning this option to On and the "Active Gates Messages" Off, will result in working active gates, but without messages.

- "Active Gate Messages" only controls messages coming from sceneries that use non-AES gate animations, like Cloud9 KLAX, KDCA, EHAM without AES, etc. It doesn't have any effect on O'Hare.  It's possible to check if a scenery use this feature, with the "About" option. If it says "The product uses AI Gates" this means it might generate Active Gate messages if the option is on. If not, it will never generate any messages. Chicago O'Hare doesn't use any Active Gates.

- "Flying Tips" doesn't have anything to do with FS flying tips, it's only relevant to Airplanes handled by the Addon Manager, like the Cloud9 MB339 or F4 Phantom, that option can be used to turn off tips relevant to those airplanes only, it doesn't have any effect on sceneries.

Is there any way to disable all of this by default

Not at this time, we would need to add an option to save in the registry in a future version. However, I think you might have another problem because, at O'Hare, in registered mode, you shouldn't see any messages coming from the Addon Manager.

and also is it possible to not have this module running all the time?

Since the scenery generation is controlled by it, of course it's not. The biggest misunderstanding that we also tried to explain in the FAQ section, is that the Addon Mananger is only needed to purchase the product. That's just one of its functions but in fact it does a lot more than that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:27:06 pm by virtuali »

davidv

Re: Addon manager keeps putting flying tips on
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 04:59:18 pm »
Thank you for the detailed reply. I made the assumption, which its obviously false, that the Addon Manager was the source of my issues since the flying tips kept turning itself on around the same time I installed KORD (which is the only scenery I have so far using this system). I also recently installed some other things so the source likely lies in one of them I guess.

Thank you for completely clearing this up, I wish all support would give such detailed responses so fast.  ;D