Author Topic: Sludge Hornet F/A-18  (Read 37450 times)

Scuddy-25

Sludge Hornet F/A-18
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:22:08 pm »
Any new updates for the Sludge Hornet ???
I have been away and Built new PC lol Need a manual install as Fsx is on separate Hard-drive.

Thanks fellas :D

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge Hornet F/A-18
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:25 pm »
Scuddy...

When I get home today, before I head out for SuperBowl weekend, I'll package up and release a Sludge FX Test Bird. I was talking with Orion last night on Skype and was only gonna release it to a few people for limited testing, but rethought it today and figured I'd rather have more feedback.

Ill post the link to my release when I get it done later this afternoon/early evening.

The list of updates/mods/changes:

1- Updated flight dynamics for PA (powered approach) mode. They are updated to follow the criticisms of Chris (Mike's son) who told us the Hornet (once trimmed up) maintains on-speed with mostly throttle corrections for glideslope. Visually on the HUD, the relationship between the W (watermark, aircraft nose) and the velocity vector (w/E bracket) should remain the same when you add power or pull back power, IF you are trimmed correctly. A good baseline trim is about 8.5 fuel at 7.0 uptrim. Also, used JIMIs AIR file numbers to get the Hornet to be able to go 1.8+ Mach at MAX power.

2- Worked in conjunction with JIMI and MOLLY BADGER ("shut YO mouth, BRaah") to fix the "pee pee" (or bucking bronco) dance on carrier trap. This means that when you trap, no matter the weight, reasonably off-centerline, or how high your RoD at trap.. the MLG will not come off the deck as they did before, nor will the plane do a little dance in place. It may do a little side to side swerving, but thats minimal. THANK GOD we got this one fixed.

3- Landing gear deploy INHIBIT, landing gear damaging speed, and new scrape points. This little gem is all MOLLY BADGER. This fix will prevent the landing gear from deploying til below 250 kts, will cause damage (gear wont fully deploy) at 300 kts, and gives the scrape points more strength so you wont crash/end your FSX flight if you have a simple collision with crash detection/realism enabled.

4- Updated Carrier Trap/IFLOLS gauge. New gauge is visible even when switching views and has updated information on the lower right side INFO BLOCK. Now includes aircraft trim (good idea Brennan). Gear down, flaps full intiates a mimimum 5.0 uptrim. I tested this and at 3.0 fuel, the uptrim required was still about 5.2, so 5.0 will get you in the ball park quickly once you drop gear and full flaps selected. Also, set joystick sensitivity on elevator trim to half or full left. If you set full right sensitivity, its hard to get the exact number dialed in.

One thing, I'm requesting good FULL comments when offering criticism. If its a criticism in the PA mode, please include carrier details (carrier type, heading, carrier moving/non-moving, speed), environmentals (wind speed/direction), and aircraft configuration (gear down, flaps full, etc), joystick (x52, wingman, warthog hotas), and circumstances (flying the ball or ICLS needles). This way I can determine right off the bat if we are flying the same approaches and try to replicate the situation and evaluate the criticism objectively.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:06:37 pm by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:40:42 am »
Fellas...

Here it is, ready for testing.  www.sludgehornet.com/downloads/Sludge_FX_TestBird.zip

For NEW installs: simply download, UNZIP, then COPY/PASTE the contents into the SIMOBJECTS\AIRPLANES folder and you're ready to select in Free Flight. Also, remember to COPY/PASTE the contents of SLUDGE EFFECTS folder into your main FSX\EFFECTS folder if you want to see the effects.

For PRIOR SludgeFX installs: move any previous Sludge_FX in SIMOBJECTS/AIRPLANES somewhere else before you UNZIP and copy/paste this package.

Later
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:38 am »
A new vLSO and a new Hornet plus it's Super Bowl weekend.  My wife is going to kill me.  ;)

Mike

Johan

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:02:46 am »
Fellas...

Here it is, ready for testing.  www.sludgehornet.com/downloads/Sludge_FX_TestBird.zip

For NEW installs: simply download, UNZIP, then COPY/PASTE the contents into the SIMOBJECTS\AIRPLANES folder and you're ready to select in Free Flight. Also, remember to COPY/PASTE the contents of SLUDGE EFFECTS folder into your main FSX\EFFECTS folder if you want to see the effects.

For PRIOR SludgeFX installs: move any previous Sludge_FX in SIMOBJECTS/AIRPLANES somewhere else before you UNZIP and copy/paste this package.

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

You keep amazing the Sim community, especially the F/A-18 lovers....I have to go back to Europe for 10 days, so I won't be able to take a test drive right away, but I will when I return.
Thanks as always,

Johan

Victory103

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »
Double test with both the new Bug and .4b vLSO. I might of missed it Sludge, but do you post a change log? Noticed the change in roll input right off the cat. Autotrim worked great during the stroke, and I was surprised with the additional control input required for my clearing turn, no issue just wasn't ready to "muscle" the bug around in the dirty config. Upper airwork next and noticed more nose movement in roll (just basic aileron rolls). Autotrim disabled? At what airspeed should I starting looking for the roll rate change? I started at 18k, dirty/on speed, and started rolling as I cleaned up and accel'd in burner. Any changes to field t/o trim inputs? I'm still manually holding the stabs up. All flights with real world downloaded.

Long time VRS flyer since FS9, so I somewhat compare the Sludge to that although I realize there are many changes and major code differences between the 2 models. Great feeling to have an OK 3 after 1 hook up pass in the latest Sludge version.

Anything major you need tested?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

GOONIE

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:28 pm »
Sludge,

I will be in OKC for work this week meeting with FAA, so I will be unable to test fly until I get home Friday. Thanks for the latest update brother!

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:46 pm »
Victory...

I might of missed it Sludge, but do you post a change log?

Usually I post something in here in reference to what I've done, but Ill work on getting one out now that I'm back in town.

Autotrim worked great during the stroke, and I was surprised with the additional control input required for my clearing turn, no issue just wasn't ready to "muscle" the bug around in the dirty config.

This was done to facilitate a "semi-real world" reaction to a full stick deflection, whereas before a low/slow/dirty Hornet would do aileron rolls with no drop in altitude. Now you definately CANNOT fly low/slow/dirty and do a full stick roll. You'll go into the drink. In FSX "control axis" do you have your aileron and elevator responses set full right?

Upper airwork next and noticed more nose movement in roll (just basic aileron rolls). Autotrim disabled?

Yes, more movement in the nose in rolls. The reason is not from the autotrim disabling, it occurs because I had to give the Hornet its original CG/weights. I did that to give the Hornet a more realistic PA (powered approach) mode, where the nose and velocity vector rise/fall in unison w/power changes when trimmed... but that in turn makes the Hornet less balanced in ALL flight regimes. Hence, less uniform (unbalanced) aileron rolls.

Any changes to field t/o trim inputs? I'm still manually holding the stabs up.

Actually, I nulled out the FIELD UP trim. How did the CARRIER T/O up elevator work for you? The BaseFCS XML sets T/O UP ELEVATOR in addition to the regular dirty configuration UP trim. This is an FSX workaround that simulates a "hands off" cat shot.  To test, after a standard trap pass, taxi over to the cat and leave the trim as it is... once you hook up the launch bar and arm (tension), go to MAX power (afterburner) to set auto-retract for the launch bar, and throttle back to 80% N2. Dont move the stick, pull up the CHKLST DDI page so you can see trim and elevator position. Now, you'll see UP elevator and UP trim. Launch and dont touch the stick til your velocity vector gets 5 deg nose up. Grab the stick and turn to BRC (ships course) and maintain v/vector at 5 deg and fly the pattern. Tell me your results.

Anything major you need tested?

Let me know what you think of BFM (dogfighting) handling at 10k-20k-30k. I used JIMIs afterburner/mach no. tweak to get the Hornet up to speed at altitude, so it would perform better up in those regimes without re-tweaking the whole 1500 series tables in the AIR file.

That's about it. Thanks for the inputs.

Later
Sludge

Scuddy-25

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:41:42 pm »
Hey,
Sludge :)

Thank you very much for the reply. Thank you for the download works a treat. Just got to get back into the hornet :P
I am a little rusty as usual but with the Lovers of the Sludge Hornet I know i will get the best of help.
ATM . . . . I am not to sure what Trim i should have or Waite of the Aircraft ??? I normal fly on 5.6 as a starter point.

This is my channel I will be uploading more when i get it right :) Thanks for the support guys.
eature=guide

"Scuddy-25"

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »
Scuddy...

Thanks for the good words. I set a minimum of 5.0 on the trim but if you are at MAX TRAP fuel (approx. 8.5) you should start around 7.0 on the up trim and work from there.

Since we cant "trim to feel" like real world, the best way to get an FSX "feel" is to practice getting on-speed to where the W is close to the 5 deg up and the v/vector is about 3-4 deg down, then trim to where the aircraft will hold glideslope and on-speed (amber donut, "e-bracket" centered on the v/vector) with a steady throttle setting. When you get that down, you'll know you're trimmed up correctly. Practice that with a full load of aircraft fuel states from 8.5 all the way down to 3.0 (lowest realistic trap fuel).

Later
Sludge

Scuddy-25

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »
Hey Sludge :)

Ah Right I will right this down and work on it :) I am trying to work the VLSO as well should help allot.
haven't been able to do much as work is taking over my life with 10 hour days lol but its always something to look forward to after the social life lol.
once again thanks for the help bro :P

"Scuddy"

MikeB54

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:21:50 am »
Sludge,

This version is great around the boat.   :)  It responds to throttle the same way I remember the simulator. I think Chris would like this one.  I know I do.  I got my first OK 3 last night.   ;D

I'm having a little problem with trim at cruise speed at altitude, though, which is making formation flying a bit of a challenge.  I add backpressure to climb a few feet and when I release the backpressure there is a significant drop in the nose.

Mike

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:33:29 pm »
Mike...

Much thanks. Those fixes were due to both your son's and your direct input on the PA mode handling. Glad you like it around the boat, and other than the trim tolerance at cruise (I'll try to get that auto-trim tolerance tightened up), I'm hoping you like it in dogfight handling too.

BTW, heads up, I'm gonna PM you with a request sometime this weekend.

Later
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:32:52 pm »
made 1st few flights, no special report yet but a few comments

I do notice that the Bug catches a wire and comes to a stop ever so nicely, wonderful work looks realistic
"2- Worked in conjunction with JIMI and MOLLY BADGER ("shut YO mouth, BRaah") to fix the "pee pee" (or bucking bronco) dance on carrier trap."

Flight control seems much better.
-----------------------------------------
It may be on my end I may have missed something quite likely,
The parking brake red indicator in the bottom left corner of the screen flashes while the VC handle rotates as well.  This is continous but doesn't seem to affect anything.  I can set the parking brake as I start engines but when the brake is released it flashes and move.

I'll guess my end has the problem.  Any insight is welcome.

SUBS17

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:11:52 am »
I've found a structural bug if you pull high G at 600kts it causes a crash from structual damage.