Author Topic: smart assembly error  (Read 19694 times)

jencas

smart assembly error
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
I have a problem after installing GSX. While starting FSX reports "FSX has encountered a problem and needs to close", restarts itself, states a "This feature requires that {smartassembly} is available on this computer" and then ends again with "FSX has encountered a problem and needs to close". After deinstalling GSX FSX starts without any problems. Thereafter I activated GSX and tried it a second time with same result.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: smart assembly error
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »
Sorry, but this error doesn't have anything to do with GSX, it's an common known problem of the Ultimate Traffic 2, see here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/276039-smartassembly/

On Flight1 there are plenty of threads about it:

http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20120201131507&KW=smartassembly

So, it can't possibly be caused by GSX, also because it's a .NET error message, and nothing in GSX or in any of our products uses or interacts in any way with .NET

jencas

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:42:33 pm »
But UT2 works perfect if FSX is not installed. I'll try it with uninstalling UT2, installing and testing GSX. If it works, I'll reinstall UT2 and check if it works. Maybe it's a problem of the order of the tools in the EXE.XML file. Or is there no GSX entry in EXE,XML???
Or maybe I'll better try first to install GSX and reorder the entries of GSX and UT2 in the EXE.XML. Perhaps this does the trick.

I'll be back!

Jens

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:32 pm »
Yes, reordering might be worth trying. I have UT2 too, and sometimes (occasionally) I saw the smartassembly error message, but it usually goes away when restarting UT2.

Note that, I usually don't load UT2 automatically, but I start it on demand when I need it, so I keep it disabled in the EXE.XML, and launch it manually, it's the UT2Services.exe program in the FSX\Flight One Software folder

jencas

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:06 pm »
Uninstalled UT2. The smart assembly message disappeared, the rest remains the same: "FSX has encountered a problem and needs to close", ... After uninstalling GSX, FSX works fine again. Trying to reinstall: the GSX installer reports: "Problem downloading AFD scenery list", later on "Problem downloading Couatl plugin list". What now?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:10:23 pm by jencas »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »
As explained in other threads, those messages are not a problem, it's just saying the first server is down, but the download succeeded on the mirror. In fact, we already updated the installer to give that warning only if *both* servers would become inaccessible.

About FSX crashing on exit, it's surely not caused by GSX but, most likely *another* module that is causing issue. If this is the case, one can find conflicts between modules this way:

- Open you DLL.XML file with a text editor (eg. Notepad is fine), the file is located at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX

- Look for all the <Disabled>False</Disabled> lines, and change them to <Disabled>True</Disabled>

- Do this for ALL the <Launch.Addon> sections, EXCEPT for the Addon Manager one (bglmanx.dll) and the main section at the top of the file (which would disable the whole XML file so, you shouldn't change it)

- Save the file and exit.

- Do the same for the EXE.XML file, located in the same folder, disable all modules EXCEPT for Couatl (fsdreamteam\couatl.exe)

- Save the file and exit

- Launch FSX and see if it works. If it does, re-enable every module, one by one, check if FSX works, enable another module, and so on, until you find the conflicting one.

jencas

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57:06 pm »
Disabled all but couatl.exe in EXE.XML and bglmanx.dll in DLL.XML. Allways "FSX has encountered a problem and needs to close". Next try: cutted all other entries from EXE.XML and DLL.XML, still "FSX has encountered .....". Uninstalled GSX: FSX works. Restored all other DLL.XML entries: FSX works. EXE.XML doesn't need any restore, because couatl.exe is the only entry remaining after deinstalling UT2.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »
Try this, download the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager, and follow this, exactly:

- Turn the antivirus OFF during DOWNLOAD and INSTALLATION

- Before turning it back on, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

Then you can turn it back on and launch FSX normally.

The actual process of how to exclude files from scanning depends on your antivirus so, refer to its documentation how to do it.

jencas

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:02 pm »
Unfortunately again bad luck. I'll try a complete new installation of my FSX partition during the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:20:11 am by jencas »

jencas

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:27 am »
Update:
Seems I'm back in business. Fresh FSX installation, LSZH, LSGG, KJFK & GSX installed as well as UT2, MegaAirport San Francisco and QW 757 box. And all working well. Might take weeks to install the rest  :-\ 

Congratulations for GSX, it's one of the best tools (if not the best!) for FSX I've ever bought. Thx a lot, Umberto!!! Keep up the good work!