Author Topic: Aerosoft AES Compatibility  (Read 10523 times)

fbass

Aerosoft AES Compatibility
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:26:59 pm »
I read that someone ask about compatibility between GSX and products using Durk ground modules.  How about AES compatibility.  Is there something with that product that causes problems with GSX?

Thanks

Frank

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: Aerosoft AES Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:56:32 pm »
Nothing about AES causes problems because GSX does nothing until you request services.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

fbass

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:17:32 pm »
OK, so is there an issue if I request GSX services.  Are my airport vehicles stacked on top of each other or the textures go berserk.  Just asking.  8)

Frank

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:22:37 pm »
OK, so is there an issue if I request GSX services.  Are my airport vehicles stacked on top of each other or the textures go berserk. 

I don't understand what you are asking.

We were discussing just the fact that, when GSX and AES are installed together, while AES prepares a parking as soon as you select its own hotkey even without doing anything else, GSX will do it only after you asked one of its services, that's why it's AES that should be modified to allow a better interaction between the two, so you could choose which one to use depending on service.

fbass

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:31 pm »
Let me see what everyone is saying here.  GSX does nothing unless you request a service.  There are no "airport clutter" items on the airport until you request a service.

AES does nothing unless you request a service with a hot key.  There are no clutter items until you want them - via a request.

HUH?  It was my understanding that both AES and GSX modify FSX default textures and provide additional airport vehicle models to enhance the scenery.

I'm sorry but I don't get what people are saying because I don't know what is happening "behind the scenes" with these two products.  What airport vehicles/services are supported, what FSX default textures are modified by both products, and how do these two products interact with FSX?  If AES modifies default FSX textures and then you install GSX, won't the AES modification be overwritten.  If that is the case, it seems that a user must decide which product to use and uninstall any other products providing full or limited functionality for this requirement.

Frank

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:17:30 pm »
GSX does nothing unless you request a service.  There are no "airport clutter" items on the airport until you request a service.

That's correct.

AES does nothing unless you request a service with a hot key.  There are no clutter items until you want them - via a request.

Not quite, there's a difference:

BOTH programs have an Hotkey that will open a menu, and from that you then select services and operation. The difference is that GSX will not do anything until AFTER you select the wanted operation from the menu so, if you just open and then close its menu, nothing will appear, AES prepares a parking with objects as soon as you press its Hotkey to open its menu.

HUH?  It was my understanding that both AES and GSX modify FSX default textures and provide additional airport vehicle models to enhance the scenery.

None of them does anything like that. Both programs comes with their own set of objects, using their own textures, and no default object or texture is ever touched.

The only thing that GSX does to the default objects, is to disable the default Pushback vehicle, by patching a default .BGL, after having made a backup of it, to be restored in case you uninstall GSX.

vadriver

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:17:53 am »
umberto

AES does not - in my experience - need an hotkey to "start".

when you load an FS situation, it "automatically" extends the jetway & sends the baggage loaders & similarly when you arrive at the gate after providing marshalling direction as appropriate.

so i am guessing & as i want to use GSX at FSDT airports (with animated jetways), somehow I need to stop AES thereat !!

however for example, at flightbeam's KSFO, i would need to use AES for the animated jetways (but GSX won't interfere if I don't use its hotkey).

thus, a mix & match scenario for me

your advice please
cheers
john

deetee

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:26 am »
Hi folks,

Neither AES or GSX will do anything until you activate their services via their respective hotkey-activated menus.

However to me it would also make sense to exclude any AES activated airports from GSX using the "Couatladdons.ini" file as explained in the manual, by adding their ICAOs to the "disable_on_airports" line.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:51 am »
Neither AES or GSX will do anything until you activate their services via their respective hotkey-activated menus.

Not really, in GSX, if you press its hotkey while parked, nothing will happen until you select an actual operation (Boarding, Deboarding, Pushback) from the menu. Pressing the hotkey again, to let the menu disappear, it's the same as having changed your mind without doing nothing. No objects will ever be created on the parking if you just open and then close its menu.

In AES, as soon as you are on a parking with engines off and activate the parking brakes, the parking is prepared with ground objects and stairs automatically approach the airplane even before you open its menu with the hotkey.

This difference is what prevents a better mix of both products because, if AES did the same as GSX, and created or at least started to move objects towards the airplane only after you selected one of its operations, you could do something like letting AES operating the jetway, Deboarding baggage with GSX, ask AES for lavatory/water vehicles, ask for GSX catering, and maybe being Pushed back by AES.

There might be some clashing between ground objects starting positions, but we can tweak that easily, it wouldn't be a great issue if you had both AES and GSX vehicles together at the same parking standing still, as long they aren't really on top of each other.

However to me it would also make sense to exclude any AES activated airports from GSX using the "Couatladdons.ini" file as explained in the manual, by adding their ICAOs to the "disable_on_airports" line.

We added that option for the only reason to give a temporary working solution to AES users wanting to use AES on an airport they purchased credits for.

fbass

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:54:15 am »
Ah, the light comes on.  The discussion has revealed that there may be some conflicts between the two products but the user can use techniques and configurations to solve them.  This is what I was looking for - and thanks to every one who responded.

It also appears that there is some work to be done by the user if both products are to be used at the same time.  I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to concern myself about particular airports and whether or not I can use this product or that one when I fly to or from them.  I don't want to worry about that - in other words if it's not automatic don't use it.

I haven't seen a reasonable case made for which product is better - functionality, textures, operation, etc.  So, unless Aerosoft makes their product compatible with the FSDreamTeam software, I'm going with FSDT.

Thanks for the insight.

Frank