Author Topic: Hold Short Markings incorrect  (Read 11619 times)

emsgoof

Hold Short Markings incorrect
« on: April 02, 2008, 05:28:19 pm »
Great scenery, I love it  ;D
Only 1 issue I've had so far.  The hold short lines on M1 at Runway 10 are backwards.

_Dre_

Re: Hold Short Markings incorrect
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:38:36 am »
I've been fine tuning and modifying my afcad (Harpsi's "X" afcad) and was unsure of which side of the hold short lines is to be facing the runway (the solid or dashed lines). Help please.
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.

emsgoof

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:51:10 am »
Absolutely!
All runway markings (in the US at least!) follow the same rules.  Think of the following when you're looking at airport markings:
-As you approach the markings, are the lines across dashed or solid?
-If they're dashed, you can cross with no problem
-If they're solid, you need to stop, or at least make sure you're allowed to pass over them before proceeding.

A note printed on the older ones:
"ATC permission is ALWAYS required to cross from the solid side to the dashed side"

There's a pilot guide the FAA has available (I got mine from my first flight instructor).  A picture of both sides:

Here's a good web site that has all of the airport markings and a demonstration of each:
http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/communication/taxiway_markings.htm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:53:07 am by emsgoof »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:04:52 am »
Just note one thing, there are two types of ground markings:

- The "visible" ones, the actual drawing that can bee seen in the scenery

- The "logical" ones, that only the AI engine uses, to know were to stop AI planes for holding short

If a scenery is done entirely with SDK techniques, and using AFCAD also for the visual parts, the two are the same, since the AFCAD will provide both AI logic AND visual appearance. You move the hold short zones in AFCAD, the AI will change their hold short position and the drawing will move as well.

But in our sceneries, as with most of the 3rd party addons, which use custom ground textures, the thing that one can adjust in AFCAD is only the logic part that drives the AI movements, the visual part is provided by the custom ground layers, and can't really be fixed so easily by the user: we'll have to do that.

_Dre_

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:33:34 am »
Thanks Emsgoof, I found the info I needed in the link you provided. Dashed lines are always runway side for anyone curious.
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.

M-Sauce

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 02:14:04 pm »
A good way to think of it is that you can cross the dashed part without a clearance, ie, exiting the active after landing. But to cross the solid portion, you need a clearance, as in when you are cleared into position and hold (Line up and wait for you non-americans  ;))

Mariano