Author Topic: Aircraft bouncing  (Read 24209 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Aircraft bouncing
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 06:36:49 pm »
Hey Sean!

For a novice like me, can u please explain how you solved this issue...i.e what folder i need to go into and what i need to alter/delete.

Regards

Chris Howard

Hi Chris,

You will need to go into the FSX/FSDreamteam/LSGG/Scenery folder and find the file called AFX_LSGG.BGL and open it using a freeeware tool lke ADEX or any other AFCAD editor. Once you have it open you will notice that a lot if not all the Taxiway Paths are listed as Macadam. You can tell this by hovering the cursor pointer over a taxiway path ad it will tell you the material the path is made from, ie. asphalt, concrete, maadam, grass, etc. Then you would need to edit each taxiway path from macadam to concrete and recompile the ADE file making sure to name it AFX_LSGG.BGL otherwise GSX wont recognize it.

Or, if you have an older LSGG ADE file in the same sceneru folder with a .bak extension you could try using the older AFCAD since it already the taxiways listed as Concrete. It will be rather time consuming to rename all the paths from macadam to concrete just so you know and I haven't even done mine yet.

Hopefully Umberto will pop into this thread and say if he can post an updated ADE file with these fixes since all users will need an AFCAD like this to prevent the bouncing on the taxiways. If he does that then we wont need to spend the time doing it ourselves. Personally, I would like to avoid it since its pretty time consuming to have to change all those.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:15 pm »
Sean,

Thank's for taking the time to explain this to me, it's appreciated.

I thought i was the only one this was happening to, i reformated my PC and everything to get rid of this problem to no avail!

Regards

Chris

Chris Howard

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »
Sean,

Thank's for taking the time to explain this to me, it's appreciated.

I thought i was the only one this was happening to, i reformated my PC and everything to get rid of this problem to no avail!

Regards

Chris

No problem Chris. It's too bad that you reformatted your PC just for this one thing. I've been lucky that my FSX rig is still on its original FSX install from April '08 and I haven't had to reformat or reinstall FSX due to issues.

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »
Wow! That's good going mate!

I've had 3 P.C'S and reformated this current one 3 time's since!

I noticed in you're sig at Avsim you're PC is set up with FSGS...Maybe i should have done the same.
Chris Howard

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:30 pm »
Wow! That's good going mate!

I've had 3 P.C'S and reformated this current one 3 time's since!

I noticed in you're sig at Avsim you're PC is set up with FSGS...Maybe i should have done the same.

Yeah the few bucks spent having Michael at FS-GS was REALLY worth saving all the time tweaking and messing around. Beside's he taught me a lot about inner FSX workings and has save me probably hours of work trying to get a solid set up. When I read all the posts on Avsim with people wondering why they have all kinds of problems and then all the advice you see posted can really lead to more problems. The problem with all the "experts" who suggest trying this and that, probably have no clue on what all the various tweaks really do. Then on top of that I read posts from people who have much newer and better rigs than mine and still suffer from low FPS and problems. But you know in the end, some people like to tinker and tweak more than fly and enjoy the sim, plus some people are too proud to seek the help and advice from a person who's job is basically setting up sims like FSX/FS9.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 07:41:53 pm »
Chris,

I may have to take back what I said about editing the ADE files.

For some reason some of the taxiway paths that are listed as macadam don't give me the option to change the materials. I was going to fix a few of the taxiways at KFLL that bounce and were listed as macadam but for whatever reason it will let me change some of them but not all of them. There maybe some way to work around this, maybe by saving the whole airport as an xml file, editing the spots, then reloading the xmp file into ADE and recompiling?

One of us may need to ask Umberto if he or his guys can look into this. I know he is busy with GSX right now, so I hate to say anything, but now that we know what the problem is it would be neat if they could redo the LSGG and FSDT ADE file where the taxi paths are macadam and make them concrete.

data63

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 10:00:10 pm »
Hi!

maybe saving with the "XML-file option" and editing the XML-file?

looks as an option for me - i tried that and now all taxiways are CONCRETE

Happy landings

Juergen

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 07:29:30 am »
Hi!

maybe saving with the "XML-file option" and editing the XML-file?

looks as an option for me - i tried that and now all taxiways are CONCRETE

Happy landings

Juergen

Yep, worked for me to. Had a feeling it would have to be done thru the xml, although I have never edited an ADE file in that fashion. Thank god for the replace button or that would have taken a while to cut and paste each entry.

Guess I will work on the KFLL ADE that has some bouncy macadam taxiways and get those fixed once and for all as well.

data63

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:20 pm »
having a backup in the pocket I tend to take such risks  ;)

...not much you can brake

Happy landings

Juergen

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 02:29:03 am »
having a backup in the pocket I tend to take such risks  ;)

...not much you can brake

Happy landings

Juergen

:D :D yeah me to, I dont ever alter anything in the sim without making a backup and even a backup of the backup just in case I mis-place the original backup, lol. Did KFLL last night as well, looks like the bouncy taxiways are a thing of the past. :-)

data63

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 11:01:52 pm »
a bit off topic

...today I started to convert my AI-aircraft textures to DDS - seems to have no negative consequences - but the textures are 'bout 40% smaller - may have  some memory impact on large airports like EGLL, LAX, or JFK.

FSX is kinda my "model railway"  ;)

...also having the BMP's as backup

Happy landings

Juergen

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:51 am »
a bit off topic

...today I started to convert my AI-aircraft textures to DDS - seems to have no negative consequences - but the textures are 'bout 40% smaller - may have  some memory impact on large airports like EGLL, LAX, or JFK.

Your saving them as DXT1 rather than DXT3? I tried batching some of mine a long time ago to 1/2 the file size by changing them to DXT1 from DXT3 but it had some weird consequences on my rig where the AI would stay white until I got real close to them, so I put them back to DXT3. I wish there was a way to save them as DXT3 and keep the same 1024 texture sheet size buit yet cut the file size in half, that would be worth it for me.

data63

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 08:54:34 am »

Your saving them as DXT1 rather than DXT3? I tried batching some of mine a long time ago to 1/2 the file size by changing them to DXT1 from DXT3 but it had some weird consequences on my rig where the AI would stay white until I got real close to them, so I put them back to DXT3. I wish there was a way to save them as DXT3 and keep the same 1024 texture sheet size buit yet cut the file size in half, that would be worth it for me.

right - the textures are DXT1 now - there seems in fact to be a short lapse loading the textures if changing to a new airport or doing rapid view changes - but nothing drastic (spaeking for me) - on the other side I'm running UK2000 EGLL with 95% UT2 traffic (and many custum repaints) with only 1,7 GBof FSX memory - plenty of room for a complex airliner  ;)

Happy Landings

Juergen

P.S. I suppose we'll have to stop THIS discussion here, 'couse it's a bit off topic for genevas bouncing aircraft

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 10:04:05 am »
No problem lads, im just waiting (and wishing) that Umberto comes up with an easier fix for this problem for novices like myself!
Chris Howard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:02 am »
The fix is already on the Live update, run the Stand-Alone Addon Manager (a recent version, published after GSX, if not sure, download it again), and it will get the corrected AFCAD