Author Topic: Coutia Key mapper  (Read 6796 times)

bradrcfii

Coutia Key mapper
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »
I have a Coutia program showing in my FSX Options menu.  What is it and how can I un-install?

Thanks,

Brad

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: Coutia Key mapper
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:54:12 pm »
FSDT sceneries need Couatl to run properly.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »
I have a Coutia program showing in my FSX Options menu.  What is it and how can I un-install?

First, you can't uninstall it, since it's required by all our products.

The key mapper it's just a feature that allows you to remap the default hotkeys some of our products use for our functions, in case it might conflict with another 3rd party product that has its own keystrokes.

Most of the developers that do products a bit less trivial that average (PMDG, Aerosoft, Level-D, Flight sim Labs, etc) , have their own key mapping utilities which usually appear on the FSX menu bar too.

bradrcfii

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »
Thank yu for your time.

My problem is that during flight, my FSX screen goes blank with a window asking something about quick keys?  It is disruptive.

Do you know what is going on?

Brad

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:44:30 pm »
My problem is that during flight, my FSX screen goes blank with a window asking something about quick keys?  It is disruptive.

Nothing related to any of our products in any way, that menu will never come up, until you call it.

bradrcfii

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:53 pm »
Why is this service necessary?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »
Why is this service necessary?

A lots of things in our sceneries are written in Phyton language, not in .BGL format.

Couatl is the interpreter that process these scripts, that do basically every special feature we have in the scenery, from ParkMe, YouControl, dynamic objects reacting to time of day, season, weather, docking system, custom PAPIs, custom runway lights, custom RWLS/THL lights, the whole XPOI program is written in Python, and the whole GSX program is written in Python too.

Since it's a separate .EXE, and it's multi-threading too, it will automatically be scheduled by the OS to use free CPU cycles, and with multi-core systems there are plenty of them available (since FSX it's not heavily multi-threaded), this means that the logic that drives all these things can be very complex, without causing any performance impact to FSX itself, since it's not running in the same thread and not even on the same CPU cores, which is ANOTHER reason (other than lots of optimizations when modeling) why all our sceneries are usually faster than any other scenery of comparable size, without renouncing to visual quality and features like movable jetways.

I repeat and confirm this program is not the cause of the problem you are seeing, that's is surely related to something acting on the keyboard, but it's NOT Couatl, there are no dialogs related to hotkey assignments that pops out while flying.

And, in any case, the whole discussion is academic, the module is required by all our sceneries, so you simply can't remove it, otherwise no scenery of ours will work. Just like sceneries from Aerosoft requires their Vimacore.dll module, sceneries from Orbx have a *different* module for *each* scenery, and almost any advance airplane product comes with its own modules too.

bradrcfii

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:12:39 am »
As a test, I deac tived all FSDream sceneries yes the Coultia process is still running.  How sdo I eliminate this process?  Delete the COULTA folder?

Thanks,

Brad
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:31:41 am by bradrcfii »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:47:02 am »
As a test, I deac tived all FSDream sceneries yes the Coultia process is still running.  How sdo I eliminate this process?  Delete the COULTA folder?

All our sceneries comes with a proper uninstaller, which will also ASK if you want to remove the Couatl and the Addon Manager modules, alerting that if you do that, no product from any developer that use them will work anymore (which means all FSDT, Cloud9 and Flightbeam KSFO sceneries, plust the QW757 airplane and Aerosoft Florence).

That's the correct way of removing it, if you want to have all your FSDT sceneries disabled, and the Couatl removed too, so you can have PROOF the problem you are having with the hotkeys, is NOT related to it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:49:50 am by virtuali »

bradrcfii

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:47 am »
I have not been able to lcoate the uninstaller.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:02:01 am »
I have not been able to lcoate the uninstaller.

The uninstaller is located in the Windows Control Panel, under the Add/Remove program section, which is the standard location for an uninstaller, for all Windows programs that have one. Each scenery has its own, so you'll find an entry for every FSDT scenery you installed.

bradrcfii

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:10:30 pm »
No that is interesting has I had not one single entry in the program list for an uninstall.  I went thru the addon manager, deactivated all sceneries and ran the uninstall for the QW757 which removed the addon manager.

I am fluent with windows and looked hard at this list as well as other folders for uninstall programs.  Maybe I had a bad install?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »
No that is interesting has I had not one single entry in the program list for an uninstall.

This simply means you already uninstalled the sceneries using the uninstaller, and forgot about it. Or, you removed the uninstaller manually ( Uninsxxx.exe in the FSX root ), so the Windows Control panel cleaned up the entry automatically.

I can only confirm that, after installing an FSDT scenery, you'll see its entry on the Control Panel, named as "Fsdreamteam xxxxx v.yyy".

bradrcfii

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:31:16 pm »
I must have had a bad install.  It seems elements were still running even though I could not locate the uninstaller.

I will re-install tonight.

bradrcfii

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 02:31:13 am »
I wanted you to know I determined what the "key" problem was, it was sticky keys, a windows fucntion I was not aware of.

Got everything installed and running beutifully now.

Thanks,