Author Topic: Runways and parking stands  (Read 6872 times)

petakas

Runways and parking stands
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »
I see two AFCAD BGLs for FS9 JFK.

..\FSdreamteam\JFK\scenery\appr_KJFK.BGL
and
..\FSdreamteam\JFK\scenery\AF2_KJFK.bgl
By just opening them with AFCAD I see they are in same layer 230.

I open FSNavigator to see the gates but none is shown, nothing, not even ILSs.
If I open AF2_KJFK.bgl with AFCAD I see them all perfectly but not in FS !
So I guess the existence of the appr BGL in same folder overrides the AF2_KJFK.BGL and (I guess) this is why it is not shown in FSNavigator.
Is there a way to have the gates displayed in FSNavigator ?
I have installed AES for JFK (just in case it matters).

Also another issue : Runways seem to be like ground pictures layed on the ground which show up only on very short final.
I cannot see runways at daytime from anything farther than 1~2 miles final.
Here's an example of 31R

Any solutions ?

Regards,
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:33:34 am by petakas »
Kyprianos Biris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Runways and parking stands
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:05:03 pm »
First, having the two AFCAD in this way is perfectly normal and allowed by Flight sim. The appr_KJFK.bgl contains only approaches, and the AF2_KJFK.bgl contains all parkings, this is absolutely 100% correct.

The problem it's just FS Navigator that, apparently, only enables one AFCAD per folder, but Flight sim can handle this normally.

The reason for having splitted the airport from the approaches, was to allow users to edit the main AFCAD freely with any tool including the old AFCAD program without worrying about losing approaches because, when JFK was released, there weren't tools that allowed to edit an AFCAD and save it back without losing the approaches.

And, because you can switch between the two provided approach sets for 13L, one with the ILS and the other with the visual Canarsie procedure.

So, the problem is really FS Navigator, that should be improved to allow that is absolutely normal and possible in Flight sim, two layered AFCAD for the same airport that are doing different things.

About your problem of texture resolution, that's not obviously a problem of the scenery, but your video settings: your overall image quality is very bad, because you are not using the Anisotropic filter in your video settings.

To get the best image quality, use these settings:

- MipMap size in FS9 at 5

- Global Max texture size in FS9 at the highest setting.

- Anisotropic filter setting in your video card control panel set to override the application setting, at 8x or 16x.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:07:19 pm by virtuali »

petakas

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:08 am »
Thanks Umberto !

Problem Fixed.
I have an ATI Radeon HD 4800 but somehow my Catalyst Control Center had all stuff disabled.

I disabled the appr ... BGL since I only fly on line at VATSIM network and don't care about AI traffic and now FSNavigator displays properly the gates by using only the AF2_KJFK.BGL

Kyprianos Biris

petakas

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:52:51 am »
I did a couple of flights in Fs9 with the new settings of the catalyst control center for the ATI Radeon HD 4800
Anti-Alising: 8X
Adaptive Anti-Alising: Quality
Anisotropic Filtering: 16X
Mipmap Detail Level: Quality

FS9 Display settings
Mip Mapping quality: 5
Global Max texture size: Massive
Filtering: Trilinear
Render To Texture, Transform and Lighting and Antialising: Checked

The only drawback I have now is that the PMDG PFD and ND displays have more blurry lines in their in screen graphics. All other (outside PFD & ND) panel graphics remain crisp.

Any suggestions to balance the panel problem in combination with the scenery display issue of this thread ?

I posted this question also in the PMDG forum.
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/359438-fs9-display-settings-for-best-pfd-nd-display/

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:10:52 am by petakas »
Kyprianos Biris