Author Topic: Error loading Couatl after Update  (Read 4145 times)

Airlinephl

Error loading Couatl after Update
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:51:07 am »
The following error occurs when starting FSX.  I get this 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem window...

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1|MICROS~1\FSDREA~1\couatl\couatl.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encounterd an illegal instruction.
CS:123cIP:01bf OP:63 72 6f 3c 2f Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Addon Manager is in the menue bar but not Couatl.   Of course shutting down the application results in no buildings. And Couatl is on the exception list

I'm running FSX SP2 with Acceleration on Vista 32 bit

Trend Micro Anti Virus
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:11:31 am by Airlinephl »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Error loading Couatl after Update
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:50:38 am »
In other cases we had with the NTVDM error, it was caused by the antivirus:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2284.0
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2573.0

It's either that, or you have some a "Compatibility" mode for FSX active. To fix this, you need to right click on the FSX.EXE file, select "Properties", select "Compatibility", and uncheck all the options, which is the default setting anyway.

Another possible explanation, the antivirus has corrupted the file trying to "heal" it, before you excluded it.

Note that, it's not enough to exclude the file from scanning in the FSX folder. Before is installed there, it's downloaded and uncompressed in the Windows temporary folder which means, you have to download and install with the antivirus entirely shut off, otherwise the file might be blocked and/or corrupted before being copied in the FSX folder.

Airlinephl

Re: Error loading Couatl after Update
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »
Thanks for you quick reply. Damm trend micro is sneaky. >:( I Tried to install the manger as prescribed in the fourms, and that didn't work. Thanks to you I've learned for users with trend micro to disable it you must totaly shut the program down, buy right clicking on its icon on the task bar, and selecting exit. When you restart your computer trend micro will automatualy run again. (<From Trend Mirco Support)

All is well again thank you.  ;D ;D