Author Topic: Addon Manager issue  (Read 3819 times)

gronden

Addon Manager issue
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:10:38 pm »
Hi,

since Ihave installed Zurich and Geneva I'm facing bad issue with the Addon Manager: everytime I reboot the PC FSX does not run unless I uninstall the addon manager and coutl tool.

Reainhg some topics here, I have uninstalled and reinstalled them several times: reinstalling the sceneries, reinstalling the only addon manager, with or without antivirus, but nothing: everything goes fine until I reboot and restart FSX and I have to uninstall and reinstall again and again the addon mamager.

Really frustrating, how can I solve this issue once for all?

Thanks and best regards

Joe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager issue
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »
The issue doesn't have anything to do with the addon manager or couatl, they are not the cause of the problem, but it's something in your system that is *affecting* them.

N.1 likely cause it's the antivirus or a firewall, either it has blocked the download of the updated version, or it's corrupting the file when it's being run.

Of course, it would be easier to diagnose the problem in your system which is affecting the two modules, if you were more precise in your description. What do you mean with "FSX does not run ", exactly ?

Does FSX starts then it quits to desktop without any messages ? If Yes, this is 100% sure an antivirus/firewall problem.

Does FSX starts with an error message ? If yes, which one ?

gronden

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »
Hi,

with 'FSX does not run' I mean that when I launch it, just before to show the start screen (I am able to hear for less than a second the FSX intro music), the system goes back to the desktop without any message and FSX is closed.

Thanks and best regards

gronden

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:30:13 pm »
I forgot to mention that I have already excluded by the real time protection of my antivurus (Avast) the entire directory of FSX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:33:30 pm »
As I've said in my previous message, it's surely caused by your antivirus or firewall.

A quit without messages means there are files of the latest version Addon Manager mixed with files from the old version, which normally can't just happen, because all our installers always download the most current files from the internet.

But, if your antivirus has mistakenly identified some of them as threats, or your firewall is blocking online access to the installers, you could end up with a mixup of version, which will cause a quit to desktop.

The solutions is always the same as explained in many other threads:

- Turn the antivirus entirely OFF during DOWNLOAD and INSTALLATION

- Before turning it back on, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

Then you can turn it back on and launch FSX normally.

The actual process of how to exclude files from scanning depends on your antivirus so, refer to its documentation how to do it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 05:35:02 pm »
I forgot to mention that I have already excluded by the real time protection of my antivurus (Avast) the entire directory of FSX

That's not enough, because even if you excluded the FSX folder, the antivirus will still block the download and the installation, since before the file is copied into the FSX folder, is downloaded in the windows temporary folder.

You need to turn off the antivirus entirely when downloading and installing.