Author Topic: Frame rates  (Read 5579 times)

Sammy

Frame rates
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:29:54 am »
I downloaded the demo to check out the scenery but my frame rate is 2-3 with Level d. With other airports I'm getting 15-20. I've read the frame rates are very good with this scenery. Is there an explanation for this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Frame rates
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:39 am »
First, you are not saying which version we are talking about. I assume FSX, but it doesn't hurt being more specific. Also, you don't say anything about your system, so we can't have an idea of it. And, you don't say anything about your settings, and that doesn't help either.

Frame rates, as everyone noticed, should be about the same than FSX default OHare. The single thing that can slow it down the most, it's the only thing that it's not part of the scenery: AI addon packages. If you have something like UT with AI at 100%, since our OHare has all real world parking stands available, it can attract an huge number or AI airplanes and, it those are not made with the utmost care to fps optimization (something that not all AI packages offers), you will have a slowdown, although I still haven't seen anyone reporting as low as 2-3 fps.

Sammy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:41:17 pm »
I am using FSX. I have a good system with almost all the features to the max. I do have AI traffic. However I am only getting these frame rates with this KORD scenery like I said. I have never had 2-3fps before with the settings I use. I normally get 15-20 and will be more if I cut back on my settings. I have other airport addons with parking stands but fps is better. I do see a huge number of planes,but only a little more than other airports so i didn't expect 2-3fps with the talk of really good frame rates. So my question is why do I have to cut back with KORD scenery and not the others?

Dillon

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:40:07 pm »
Even though I'm an FS9 user, the only thing I can figure that would cause these kinds of problems is if you have multiple afcads present for KORD.  Have you installed other scenery for this airport and/or Afcads?  You need to delete any other scenery and afcads for KORD before you use this scenery.  By all accounts FSDreamteam's version of KORD is outstanding on performance.  Nothing else out there can touch it (at least in the FSX world).  So if your having problems with it there must be a conflict somewhere in your setup.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:41:40 pm by Dillon »

Sammy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:33:32 pm »
I did purchase the KORD airport very good detail scenery. My fps with the other airport addons  are the same (5-6fps)but KORD is not better. When I exit FSX I am getting an error message now. Reference memmory cannot be read. Anyone know what this means.

Dillon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:02:59 pm »
I did purchase the KORD airport very good detail scenery. My fps with the other airport addons  are the same (5-6fps)but KORD is not better. When I exit FSX I am getting an error message now. Reference memmory cannot be read. Anyone know what this means.

This goes to show why I still use XP/FS9...  This scenery was built for FSX; you need to understand the headroom for add-ons under FSX is very limited.  If you don't have duplicated afcads that could be causing the problem the only other thing I can tell you is what's been touted since the release of FSX, you need a newer (better) computer.  Most add-ons under FS9 are outstanding but expecting framerates over 5-6 in FSX over cities is overly optimistic to say the least (especially with a detailed add-on airport).  As far as the error goes it could be a number of things especially if your not using the SP2 version of FSX (Vista just got a new patch so you might want to try that).  All in all what your getting in FSX is just about right, I just realized what you were reporting.  5-6fps is about normal over cities with add-on airports in FSX.  At this point you have a few options:

1. Deal with it
2. pay $2000+ for another computer and $800 for another video card
3. Keep your existing machine and pay $17 at Amazon.com for a used copy of FS2004. 

With FS9 I'm averaging 25fps with Level-D's 767 on approach at dusk into KORD.  On takeoff from London (SimWing's Heathrow) I was at 30FPS so it's all in what your willing to put up with... :-\
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:47:30 am by Dillon »