Author Topic: Runways 7L and 7R  (Read 5504 times)

johndrago

Runways 7L and 7R
« on: December 03, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I just purchased KLAS, and love it.  I have a question.  When the winds are calm, or favor the east, ATC calls for runways 7L or 7R to land.   However, I don't think 7L and 7R are used in RW operations for landing due to the mountains.  Is this correct.  If I close landing at 7L and 7R via AFX, will it screw up the way your AFCAD works?

I love the crosswind landings that are occuring at runway 1L and 1R, and that's excellent.

Thanks,

John

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Runways 7L and 7R
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »
I don't think you'll have any issues by closing the 7 runways.

johndrago

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:21:07 am »
I don't think you'll have any issues by closing the 7 runways.

Hi Umberto,

Ok, here is something strange that just happened.  I closed the "7" runways with AFX.  I did a test flight KBUR to KLAS (SWA877).   Per ATIS, winds were 224/08.  When ATC gave me the landing runway, they gave me an option of 19L or 19R ONLY.  I continued landing on 25L anyway, and after landing, as I was taxing to the gate, I heard ATC giving takeoff runways of 25R.

So, why wouldn't ATC give me 25L or 25R as an option for landing, when the winds were favoring that direction?  ATC allowed takeoffs on the "25s", but no landings on those runways.  Is it because I closed the "7s"?

I'm just trying to understand how it all works.

Thanks again,

John

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:45:02 am »
So, why wouldn't ATC give me 25L or 25R as an option for landing, when the winds were favoring that direction?  ATC allowed takeoffs on the "25s", but no landings on those runways.  Is it because I closed the "7s"?

I assume you closed them for takeoff ?

In any case, the default FSX ATC in not so straightforward, I suggest to go on fsdeveloper.com to ask about this or search for threads, there are plenty and it's best you read them carefully, because it's not simple as it seems.

johndrago

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:22:36 pm »

I assume you closed them for takeoff ?

In any case, the default FSX ATC in not so straightforward, I suggest to go on fsdeveloper.com to ask about this or search for threads, there are plenty and it's best you read them carefully, because it's not simple as it seems.

Hi Umberto,

No, I closed 7L and 7R for landing only, not takeoff.  All other runways are open.  That's why it was strange that even though the winds were favoring 25L and 25R, I was not given the option for landing at those.  They were being used for takeoff, but not landing.  19L and 19R were being used for both.

Thanks,

John

data63

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:02 pm »
Hi!

as far as I remember that topic FS only realizes a Runway as open or closed on both sides (all or nothing) closing down only one side isn't a "no go" for that direction of the runway but just affects the "scoring" of the engine that makes the "runway decicions" - as Umberto suggested: have a look around at fsdeveloper - there are some articles describing the "scoring mechanics" of FS in great detail.
In my opninion it's (to a certain degree) possible to lure FS to single direction runway use - but it's a hell of tweaking the runways (length, thesholds, enable/disable, .....) - and not 100% sure in all cases :-(

Happy landings

Juergen

bradl

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:40:44 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I just purchased KLAS, and love it.  I have a question.  When the winds are calm, or favor the east, ATC calls for runways 7L or 7R to land.   However, I don't think 7L and 7R are used in RW operations for landing due to the mountains.  Is this correct.  If I close landing at 7L and 7R via AFX, will it screw up the way your AFCAD works?

I love the crosswind landings that are occuring at runway 1L and 1R, and that's excellent.

Thanks,

John

They are used, but primarily in the summer, or when the winds favour that way. There are 5 (technically 6) different configurations used at LAS in RW ops:
  • Config 1: Land 25L, 19L, 19R. Depart 25R, 19R, 19L. *this is the calm wind configuration*
  • Config 2: Land 1L and 1R. Depart 7L at A8 for IFR aircraft, 1L at W for VFR aircraft. Winds for this are in the 040 - 080 range, no more than 10kts.
  • Config 3: Land 1L, 1R, 25L. Depart 1L, 1R. Winds for this in the 300 - 040 range, no more than 15kts.
  • Config 4: Land 7R, Depart 7L. (rarely used)
  • Config 5: Reserved
  • Config 6: Land 7R, 19L, 19R. Depart 7L at A8 or full length. Winds for this are in the 080 - 150 range, 10kts or greater.
These are not taking into account anything with density altitude. Config 6 is used in the summer, especially during monsoon season. Just yesterday, within a 3 hour period, they went from Config 1 to Config 2, to Config 3, because of the winds changing and picking up. As far as the arrivals to the 7s go, what they will do is make their base turn no more than 8 miles west of the field, to not conflict with the Red Rock VFR Departure corridor, or continue them downwind until they are abeam the Stratosphere tower, then have them turn base there for the 19s.

All of this is from their RW SOP.

BL.