Author Topic: No Add-on Manager and Couatl Engine - FSX Crashes  (Read 13378 times)

andreas

No Add-on Manager and Couatl Engine - FSX Crashes
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:57:18 pm »
Hey

After having the troubles with ParkMe in Geneva, I now have a bigger problem. After pressing "fly Now" and the scenery and aircraft loads, but after loading ca. 93% fsx crashes and I get a message: "Failed to read from file", clicking OK (the only opportunity) FSX restarts. This happens in all my add-ons and most of the default airports, Inly Friday Harbour works perfect. I found out that in the FSX menu under Add-on, there is no Couatl Engine or Add-on Manager, despite I got both Zurich and Geneve. I downloaded the latest version of Add-on Manager but with no result. I think maybe it is the missing add-on manager and couatl engine that is causing FSX to crash.

Hope you will help me, because it is pretty annoying

From Andreas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No Add-on Manager and Couatl Engine - FSX Crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »
but after loading ca. 93% fsx crashes and I get a message: "Failed to read from file", clicking OK (the only opportunity) FSX restarts

. I downloaded the latest version of Add-on Manager but with no result. I think maybe it is the missing add-on manager and couatl engine that is causing FSX to crash.

That's exactly the opposite: missing Addon Manager/Couatl can't obviously crash FSX. If you don't see their menus, it means they haven't been loaded by FSX, so they can't possibly make it crash.

You are probably getting it backward: it's your FSX crash, which is caused by something entirely different, which is *causing* the Addon Manager/Couatl not loading.

If you Google "fsx crash failed to read from file", you can see there are multiple reasons for this, none of them of course being related in any way to the Addon Manager, it's your FSX install that is surely missing something and/or has corrupted files.

Since just a few days ago, you said:

Did what you said, and it works fine now, both airports

It's fairly obvious that the Addon Manager works on your system, but something ELSE happened in the meantime, that is has AFFECTED it, so is not loading anymore and it also causing FSX to crash.

I repeat and confirm: if you don't see the Addon Manager/Couatl menus, they haven't been loaded by FSX so, obviously, they can't be the cause of the crash, they are the victims instead...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:21:44 pm by virtuali »

andreas

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:34:21 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer

I see your point, that the Addon Manager is the victim. I just thought, that since they where missing, they might be the problem. The only things I have done since the Geneva-installation, is downloading a texture, which I deleted again and an update to Paderborn Airport. And then it is obviously not your problem. 

From Andreas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »
I just thought, that since they where missing, they might be the problem.

Don't worry about this, if they are missing, the only effect is that all our scenery will not show, but FSX itself will never have a problem because of this.

andreas

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »
Found the solution, I just set traffic sliders to minimal :)

But, there is still no Add-on Manager and Couatl Engine in the menu, therefore no buildings in Zurich and Geneva, I have installed the Addon Manger, but with no luck, so what can I do to get the buildings back?

From Andreas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:17 pm »
I have installed the Addon Manger, but with no luck, so what can I do to get the buildings back?

This means your Windows installation is likely missing some System files. Try to download this file here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

Then reinstall the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

andreas

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
Now it works :)

Thank you for your help, and very nice scerenys, both Geneva and Zurich :)

From Andreas