Author Topic: Question for fsdt X-plane 10 Demo thoughts ?  (Read 6596 times)

Silverbird

Question for fsdt X-plane 10 Demo thoughts ?
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:53:48 am »
Umberto what are your thoughts regarding the x-plane 10 demo have you been able to try it? the global lighting is very interesting. I just dont know how the new x-plane 10 handles detailed ground work I know in the previous thread you mentioned how hard it was developing scenery for x-plane.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

GrahamH

Re: Question for fsdt X-plane 10 Demo thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:28:33 am »
I would LOVE to see fsdt get into x-plane.  :-X

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:16:49 am »
The issue with X-Plane is it has always been a moving target, with each point release adding new features and possibly breaking old ones, that why you don't see much commercial developers on it.

Another problem for scenery developers is that a certain scenery area has an "all or nothing" approach, instead of a "layered" approach like MS Flight Sim. This means, for example, you couldn't use a photoreal scenery made by developer A, together with an airport made by developer B, if they cover the same area.

This obviously helps a lot with optimization, the less flexible an engine is, the easiest is to make it faster, since you trade ease of expansion with performances.

And, last time I've checked the SDK, many things we deem crucial to replicate what we usually do in FSX, were still missing.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:41:10 am »
But XP10 should be more easy to build scenery in. Aerosoft say so. They will convert FSX scenery to XP10 somehow..

I hope that fsdt will do that to  ;)
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:57:28 am »
But XP10 should be more easy to build scenery in. Aerosoft say so. They will convert FSX scenery to XP10 somehow.. I hope that fsdt will do that to  ;)

The issue is, we don't do "just scenery", our FSX sceneries do lot more than simply displaying graphic objects, and for that we rely heavily on Simconnect, and XPlane still is not up to the par regarding those features.

In a way, going to XPlane would be like going back to FS9. If we are going to abandon FS9 because the platform is too limited, doesn't make much sense to support XPlane.

And, MS Flight is coming...

In any case, just tried the Demo yesterday, and with default graphic settings at "normal" without touching anything, at KSEA, it's FAR slower than FSX at default KSEA on my system. (8 cores MacPro Dual Xeon, 20GB RAM, so much for being "multi-core optimized"...), and the autogen looks very repetitive, I don't see how anyone could think it would ever compete with MSFS, surely not in the initial release. Which means, it would then start the usual developer-nightmare of endless point releases adding new important features...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:25:06 pm by virtuali »

Silverbird

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »
Thank's Umberto I appreciate your point of view on this since you been doing this a long time now and know the technical side of things.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:17:39 am »

"In a way, going to XPlane would be like going back to FS9. If we are going to abandon FS9 because the platform is too limited, doesn't make much sense to support XPlane."  ???

What??? U are so wrong, it's nothing like FS9, however you have your right to say what you want to.  ;D
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:09 am »
What??? U are so wrong, it's nothing like FS9, however you have your right to say what you want to

You haven't understood what I've meant, at all.

It's fairly obvious X-plane is "nothing like FS9", something that I never said of course, but considering the REASONS why we are not very willing to keep supporting FS9, which I've clearly explained as the lack of some crucial features that Xplane still lacks, it wouldn't make much sense supporting X-plane for the same reasons, without this having *anything* to do with saying the two are alike.

Silverbird

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

"In a way, going to XPlane would be like going back to FS9. If we are going to abandon FS9 because the platform is too limited, doesn't make much sense to support XPlane."  ???

What??? U are so wrong, it's nothing like FS9, however you have your right to say what you want to.  ;D

Hi Frank he meant that x-plane is still limited like in fs9 in a sense since fsx offered better options and I dare say more flexibility in adding things to the sim in FS9 due to its age and in x-plane are difficult and more restricted to develop this is all from what I have seen and from what Umberto has posted.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR