Author Topic: FSDT Scenery Updates  (Read 7820 times)

wb2002

FSDT Scenery Updates
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »
Is there already or could you provide a place on web site that indicates latest updates for all FSDT sceneries? This would make it a lot easier than looking through each scenery forum to find out if there are any possible scenery update. Just an idea/suggestion.
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Scenery Updates
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:38:44 pm »
We constantly update the installers, but only to include them all the latest Couatl/Addon Manager files so, getting the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager would be exactly the same, without having to download the scenery installers too.

If there's an important update to a scenery itself, the Addon Manager will automatically tell you with a message "the scenery xxx is outdated" as soon as you launch FSX.

windshear

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 12:40:09 am »
Mine is not saying anything about ORD...
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:55:25 am »

1) Either you already have the newest version of it

OR

2) you you have the old version but it not installed or active in the Scenery Library

OR

3) you chose to disable the Addon Manager updated notifications, when asked.

OR

4) you don't have the current version of the Addon Manager files, which are downloaded each time you run any installer, or if you install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager

As explained many times, the Addon Manager DOES NOT connect to the internet automatically or without your knowledge.

It's always your that decide to install or download something. Which is why, any update notification can't be entirely automatic (that would require something that connects to the internet EACH time you start Flight Sim), but is triggered only after you downloaded and installed something.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:00:23 am by virtuali »

Hernan1

• Aviation artist
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:53:20 am »
I just downloaded the new KORD scenery, which already includes the new update. However, just like in my new KLAXv2 scenery, the AI aircraft are parked just about everywhere in the airfield. I don't know about the KORD if I can adjust parking using AFCADv2.1, or whatever the latest version is, since I didn't have the time to try it yet, but, what bothers me is, why the KLAX scenery doen'st allow me to use the AFCAD tool?. Some suggest to use other programs, such as ADE. I am not familiar with it, even if I have to learn how to use it, why are we then paying FSDT a full price for having to spend additional time of our own in trying to adjust parking assignments?. Don't get me wrong, the sceneries are just terrific, but, I was expecting to use my KLAX scenery fully. I am very familiar with the AFCAD tool, and I don't mind adjusting the parking assignments. I attempted to adjust my KLAX scenery, but, buildings from the default scenery showed up. We are told to use the ADE tool, which I find it difficult to work with. But, why is it only KLAX and PHNL sceneries that are so different?. Why can't FSDT issue an updated AFCAD with the correct parking assignments, or simply, keep all sceneries able to use AFCAD. How about those customers who know nothing about adjusting parking?. A little bit of help will make your good customers, like me (since I have most of your sceneries), happier  :(
DELTA is my airline

wb2002

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:48:38 am »

OR

2) you you have the old version but it not installed or active in the Scenery Library

OR

OR

4) you don't have the current version of the Addon Manager files, which are downloaded each time you run any installer, or if you install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager

As explained many times, the Addon Manager DOES NOT connect to the internet automatically or without your knowledge.

It's always your that decide to install or download something. Which is why, any update notification can't be entirely automatic (that would require something that connects to the internet EACH time you start Flight Sim), but is triggered only after you downloaded and installed something.

I am sorry but I just do not understand what you are saying. I thought perhaps I had an outdated "Addon Manager" so I downloaded and installed the stand alone. It made no difference - I see no place while in FSX and looking at the Addon Manager, I have the option to check for any updates. While in FSX the Addon Manager version is 2.8.1.1. When installing, it says 2.8.0.11 - This is also confusing. I also do not see where I can initiate the Addon Manager to connect to the internet. BTW, the Addon Manager did not inform me of the latest update of recently released KORD when launching FSX. Please help.
wb2002

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:35:49 am »
I am sorry but I just do not understand what you are saying. I thought perhaps I had an outdated "Addon Manager" so I downloaded and installed the stand alone. It made no difference - I see no place while in FSX and looking at the Addon Manager, I have the option to check for any updates

There's no such option in the Addon Manager, you don't explicitly check for updates but, when you run an installer, it will update files that will let the Addon Manager know what the latest versions are, and if a scenery needs an update, will notify you with the "outdated" scenery message.

BTW, the Addon Manager did not inform me of the latest update of recently released KORD when launching FSX. Please help.

That leaves with one of the first 3 possible explanations:

OR

2) you have the old version but it not installed or is not active in the Scenery Library

OR

windshear

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 11:53:53 am »
It's installed and I recently purchased LAX, so I think I have the newest installer.

I am downloading the new ORD and I will install it then check the addon manager to see if I have update alerts activated.
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »
It's installed and I recently purchased LAX, so I think I have the newest installer.

You might have the latest installer for KLAX but that's not relevant at all to this problem, the files that allow the Addon Manager to notify you of an outdated scenery, in this case KORD, have been online only after the release of KORD V2 so, unless you reinstalled KLAX AFTER KORD V2 was released, you don't have the latest version of the files.

Since the update is not constantly checking the internet, the only time you can get updated files (and the notifications that comes with them) is when you run an INSTALLER (any installer), otherwise you'll miss the notification.

To have realtime update notifications, we would need some kind of service that either starts with Windows or check the internet every time Flight sim start, but most of the people would deem it as "intrusive".

big-mike

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:06:53 pm »
Hello Umberto,
today i purchased---thank you very much for the discount!!!----
KLAX,KDFW,Hawaii 1+2.
I dl the KLAX trial version last week and activated it today.
KDFW,Hawaii 1+2 i dl today and installed them.
Are all new downloads up to date?
I ask this because i cannot find any dl version number.
Thank you for the amzing airports.
Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 09:14:18 pm »
Are all new downloads up to date? I ask this because i cannot find any dl version number.

The download on the website are *always* the latest version we have. The version you have installed is listed in the Windows Control Panel in the Add/Remove Programs. The version of the installer is shown when the installer starts.

As I've said, if a scenery update is required, you WILL see a notification from the Addon Manager saying the scenery is outdated and you need to download the scenery. If, instead, it's the Addon Manager that needs to be updated, you'll see a message saying that instead.

There's no need to re-download a scenery installer if you don't have messages. If you have other problems like missing buildings, etc, but not "outdated scenery" messages, the first thing to do is always download and install the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager, which is a much smaller download, and can update everything that needs to be updated that doesn't relate to the scenery itself.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:29:51 pm by virtuali »

big-mike

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:16:00 pm »
Thank you very much for this clarification.
Michael

wb2002

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »
I am sorry but I just do not understand what you are saying. I thought perhaps I had an outdated "Addon Manager" so I downloaded and installed the stand alone. It made no difference - I see no place while in FSX and looking at the Addon Manager, I have the option to check for any updates

There's no such option in the Addon Manager, you don't explicitly check for updates but, when you run an installer, it will update files that will let the Addon Manager know what the latest versions are, and if a scenery needs an update, will notify you with the "outdated" scenery message.

BTW, the Addon Manager did not inform me of the latest update of recently released KORD when launching FSX. Please help.

That leaves with one of the first 3 possible explanations:

OR

2) you have the old version but it not installed or is not active in the Scenery Library

OR

Again, thanks for explaining however, I am still having a problem understanding. Could you possibly post a picture of where the Addon Manager ask "updated notifications" - I do not remember ever seeing this.  Also, If I am understanding you at all, when I just recently purchased and installed PHNL, KLAS, and KFLL, I would automatically be informed if my KJFK, KORD, KDFW, KLAX and ZurichX contained any outdated files? Please understand I am not complaining - still just trying to understand.

wb2002

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:16:58 pm »
Again, thanks for explaining however, I am still having a problem understanding. Could you possibly post a picture of where the Addon Manager ask "updated notifications"

As soon after you launched any FSDT installer, the Addon Manager got its latest files, which includes data about all the product. If a scenery needed to be updated AND the old version is found in your system, you'll see a warning like "your xxxx scenery is outdated, please download the current version". You'll also be asked if you want further notifications for that scenery so, if you reply No, that message will not come anymore for that specific scenery.

I do not remember ever seeing this.

It simply means you were careful to keep your sceneries updated, without waiting for the Addon Manager to notify you.

Also, If I am understanding you at all, when I just recently purchased and installed PHNL, KLAS, and KFLL, I would automatically be informed if my KJFK, KORD, KDFW, KLAX and ZurichX contained any outdated files?

The act of purchasing doesn't really matter. What triggers the possible update notification is launching an installer, even an old one. It doesn't make any difference which installer you are launching, since they all get the same Addon Manager files.

What's make the difference in getting the notification or not, is if you are launching an installer after the date a scenery you have installed is updated AND we setup an "old scenery" notification for it, because we decided that update was significant enough to alert users about it.

As I've said, it's the next best possible solution rather than having something resident in Windows or something that access the internet at each Flight sim start. We would have more precise update notifications in that case, but some users might be scared of the Addon Manager "calling home" in some way...