Author Topic: Why Poor Download Speed Following each Scenery Intsall?  (Read 4968 times)

jordanal

Why Poor Download Speed Following each Scenery Intsall?
« on: November 25, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »
Hi all,
After recently performaing a fresh install of all my FSDT sceneries and again today while installing the FSDT Ohare 2.0 update, I noticed the download speed of the Couatl.exe and other miscellanious files immediately following the installation, basically sucks.  This has been observed for a long while and only occurs in this very specific download circumstance.  Why are you crippling the bandwidth used after each scenery installation?  I pay for fast broadband and yet I have to wait after each FSDT scenery installation for these few files to download at usually 20kb/sec transfer rate.  The original FSDT setup installers come down at almost 600kb/sec - so why is the post-install bandwidth so limited?  Again, this only happens in this specific situation and nowhere else on the Internet is this observed.   :-\

Open the valve, man...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:49:20 pm by jordanal »
Regards,
Al

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Why Poor Download Speed Following each Scenery Intsall?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
That's not a problem with the installer, and surely our the bandwidth is not limited by us in any way.

It's just that, because of the sale we are having AND the O'Hare update we released at the same time, more people are downloading installers now, so the bandwidth we have, which we give out entirely, is shared between more people than usual.

In any case, if you need to install multiple sceneries at time, there's no need to self-update the same files multiple times so, you can do the following:

1) Install any scenery with the NETWORK DISCONNECTED. The installer will detect you don't have an internet connection available, and will ask if you want to continue using Local Files instead. Press the Next button and the installer will proceed without going online.

2) Repeat this for all the sceneries you need to install, always with the network disconnected

3) When you are done with all the sceneries, turn the Network back on, then install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager with the network on, so everything will be updated at once.

jordanal

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 05:05:16 pm »
Ah, thanks Umberto, I appreciate the offline-trick, that will certainly help.  But, seriously dude, you really should look into that post-install bandwidth.  In my several years of collecting all the FSDT sceneries, I've never seen anything close to reasonable for the post-install download speed.  I'm telling you, it's crippled somewhere...   ::)
Regards,
Al

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »
Download speeds are quite acceptable here, considering many people are downloading, as you can see from the screenshot. My broadband connection is nothing special, it's a 4MB DSL.

Orion

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »
If it helps any, I recall getting about 30 KB/s downloading the Addon Manager when reviewing FlightBeam's KSFO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
If it helps any, I recall getting about 30 KB/s downloading the Addon Manager when reviewing FlightBeam's KSFO.

You two guys have the same ISP...

jordanal

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »
Comcast here - over 20Mb downstream, 4.5Mb upstream when tested on Speedtest.net; against a continental U.S. server.

Again, what is really screwy about this, is the fact that pulling down the FSDT installers is on-par with many many websites.  If I can assume the the FSDT installers and the post-install downloads are hosted by the same server and/or ISP (in Italy ?), then why the difference in bandwidth?  It's almost as if there is a socket-connection limiter in place - perhaps from specific contries or ISP's?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:11:46 pm by jordanal »
Regards,
Al

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:43:07 pm »
Comcast here - over 20Mb downstream, 4.5Mb upstream when tested on Speedtest.net; against a continental U.S. server.

That's what I've said: you have the same ISP, maybe it has a slow connection with Italy.

pulling down the FSDT installers is on-par with many many websites.  If I can assume the the FSDT installers and the post-install downloads are hosted by the same server and/or ISP (in Italy ?), then why the difference in bandwidth?

No, they aren't.

The main installers are hosted on Mediafire, which is in the US, it's a specialized high-capacity download service, and every installer it's on a separate server. The last step (about 3MB on the total install size, which are usually at least 70-80MB), is hosted on our own server in Italy, the same that hosts this forum, which explains why the large installers are not really affected by how many people are downloading, like when there's a sale or a new release.

It's almost as if there is a socket-connection limiter in place - perhaps from specific contries or ISP's?

I can only repeat and confirm we don't have any bandwidth limit on server. It's possible the opposite, that your ISP has a bad connection with Italy instead.

In any case, this only affects the last 3MB of the download, which are basically less than 5% of the total data needed, and I've already explained how to install offline, in case you need to install multiple sceneries at time.