Author Topic: UNable to downlad LAX FS9/ virus?  (Read 5202 times)

Hernan1

• Aviation artist
UNable to downlad LAX FS9/ virus?
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:49:47 pm »
Hello,
I attempted to download the LAX scenery for FS9 for the second time from your webpage, and I am unable to do so due to high risk virus. I have Norton Protection software, and after downloading any file, it analyzes any exe. file, and it will remove it if it detects any threats. Unfortunately, it removed the file for the KLAX new scenery for FS9. According to Norton antivirus protection, it shows that file has "WS.Reputation 1". It list details as follows: Unknown community usage, unknown age, medium risk. Furthermore, it describes this virus as:
Updated: May 13, 2010 8:18:54 AM
Type: Other
Risk Impact: High
Systems Affected: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 BehaviorWS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.Antivirus Protection DatesInitial Rapid Release version March 27, 2009
Latest Rapid Release version April 20, 2010 revision 025
Initial Daily Certified version March 27, 2009 revision 005
Latest Daily Certified version April 20, 2010 revision 024
Initial Weekly Certified release date April 1, 2009

Please advise what other choices I have. I don't want to turn off my antivirus to prevent the above results. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:51:45 pm by Hernan1 »
DELTA is my airline

Ben F.

Re: UNable to downlad LAX FS9/ virus?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:06:37 pm »
I have to download/run these with anti virus turned off and have had no issues with any of the FSDT installers.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »
Norton is one of the biggest offenders regarding false positives. We sent the Couatl.exe file to them for analysis to have it whitelisted and sent it to the Vipre team too. The Vipre guys replied in less than 24 hours and whitelisted the file, Norton hasn't even replied...

Other than switching to a more reliable product, like the free MS Security Essentials, which doesn't mistakenly identify our products as threats, the best option is:

- Download and install with the antivirus Turned OFF.

- Before turning it back on, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe

- Then you can turn if back on.

Hernan1

• Aviation artist
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:16:15 am »
Thanks again. I'll follow your advise. I got my credit card ready to purchase LAX, as I done your other sceneries... ;)
DELTA is my airline