Author Topic: General Aviation Airports?  (Read 9440 times)

Aviationsim4862

General Aviation Airports?
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:18:44 am »
During this week, I spent my days interning at a the local airport. It's really incredible what makes everything tick. At these airports, you do not have jetways, or baggage carts. Will GSX include Marshallers, Ground Power Units, and Tow Trucks that these airports are composed of? With the logo's of the FBO's that they are at? No Jetways, no car stairs, none of that stuff you see in major airports. What will the general aviation local small airport be like with GSX?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:52:23 am by Aviationsim4862 »

skimmer

Re: General Aviation Airports?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:02:16 am »
As I understood , GSX will only serve the major airports . I dont think it gets into all the GA airports in MFS. That would be something  great though, so great  question . :) Read more of the GSX post.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:34:51 am »
GSX itself doesn't make any difference between major or minor airports, vehicles are chosen depending on your own airplane specs.

For example, the kind of pushback tow truck is selected depending on your airplane weight, the stairs are selected depending on the doors height, below a certain threshold there will be no stairs, etc.

Aviationsim4862

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:14:28 pm »
Nice! It sounds great, but my only problem is with your last sentence, "the kind of pushback tow truck is selected depending on your airplane weight, the stairs are selected depending on the doors height, below a certain threshold there will be no stairs, etc."

Usually, I don't see tow trucks pushing back aircraft for taxi, like I do at major airports. Can you choose if you wouldl like a toe truck or not? Also, can you choose if you would like stairs or not? For example, the Legacy or BBJ are both big planes. I would assume the GSX stairs would service these planes, but what if you dont want them there? The plane already have stairs built in that it uses. Yes, it is probably above the threshold, but the plane is alraedy equipt with one.

-thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:57:28 am »
Usually, I don't see tow trucks pushing back aircraft for taxi, like I do at major airports. Can you choose if you wouldl like a toe truck or not?

Obviously yes, the tow truck it's a service you have to call in order to use it, it will never act automatically.

if the plane already have stairs built in that it uses. Yes, it is probably above the threshold, but the plane is alraedy equipt with one.

Assuming the airplane doors in the aircraft.cfg file are above the threshold for that specific stair type, if the airplane developer made an AES intelliscene.cfg file, it's likely he would already put the doors below the threshold to get rid of stairs, and GSX will read it and will give preference to that one over the data read from the aircraft.cfg. Or, you could create an intelliscene.cfg file yourself, if the airplane doesn't come with one. Or, you can use AES itself to edit doors, since there's no need to buy credits to edit airplane doors.

We are planning to create an easy to use airplane editor anyway to create configuration files, but not in the first release.

Aviationsim4862

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »
Sorry, but one more question. In addition to all of the cars, will there also be a GPU that you can program to hook up somewhere on the plane?

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
Can you choose if you wouldl like a toe truck or not?

Watch your toes around the tow truck  ;D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »
Sorry, but one more question. In addition to all of the cars, will there also be a GPU that you can program to hook up somewhere on the plane?

We already modeled a GPU and even wrote support for it but, it will not probably available in the initial release, because we wanted to take a bit of time to do it right, not just an animation, but also really giving you power. This might possibly require writing an API for developers, since many 3rd party airplanes have different ways to simulate ground power.

The same is for the de-icers, might not be released on day 1, but will come shortly after as a free upgrade, since we want them to work, actually deicing the airplane, not just moving around it doing nothing.

theshack440

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 03:28:14 pm »
For the GPU at larger (fsdt) airports, will the wire/plug come from the jetway like it does in real life?
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:53 pm »
Are you sure that wire from the jetway is power and not ground?   ;D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:05:58 pm »
For the GPU at larger (fsdt) airports, will the wire/plug come from the jetway like it does in real life?

It would be trivial to add ground power to jetways too, once we'll have some mechanism to communicate the ground power activation between the program and the airplane. It's not something that we can do entirely on our own, it would require some interaction with the airplane developers, since there's no standard way in FSX to represent ground power.

Aviationsim4862

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:08 am »
That would be great, but i'm talking just eye candy. Not to do anything to the plane yet, but just so you can have it drive up to the plane and look good, and somehow have the dynamic people connect it to a predetermined spot on the plane.