Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 818653 times)

Mower

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #945 on: March 02, 2014, 06:09:23 pm »
Tack Pack intercepts the suggested call ball key Ctl W, is there a better keystroke?  And do I delete said keystroke from FSX?

Cheers.

upilote

« Reply #946 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:38 pm »
Tack Pack intercepts the suggested call ball key Ctl W, is there a better keystroke?  And do I delete said keystroke from FSX?
I use Shift-G (and deactivate gesture in ACM) and I deactivate it in FSX (default TOGGLE_TAILWHEEL_LOCK).

ExNusquam

« Reply #947 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:42 am »
There appears to be a bug in the currency algorithms. I'm not sure if this is intended or a bug.

1) Night FCLP does't count for day currency. The doc's seem to imply that it should, as the only thing that affects currency is night passes.
2) When night currency seems to count currency the same way it counts day currency, where if you lapse for 15 days, it requires an FCLP refresher. It should list me as "not current", but shouldn't require FCLP.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #948 on: March 15, 2014, 02:56:22 pm »
Thanks Joe
That's rather a typo  :) Will be corrected in the next version
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Orion

« Reply #949 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:49 pm »
This is irrelevant to vLSO, but I found it noteworthy that it differs from civil aviation: for a private pilot in the U.S., night landings count towards both day and night currency.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #950 on: March 16, 2014, 01:44:08 am »
Take it from me - if no one else  ;D and yes I can point to many, many quotes / videos online where this 'fact' is stated outright (only USN with some French perhaps do it these days with perhaps some other also rans) - night carrier landings are very difficult. No one seems to be comfortable with them, even after bagging hundreds of night landings (with many more day landings). Day carrier landings are not for the faint hearted; however one becomes comfortable with them, if the weather is reasonable. Night landings are different aboard. There is no reference until very close to the ship (depends on ship/circumstances) unlike a long runway with bright lights everywhere for civilians. At sea the horizon is not there and all around is black - the blackest black you can ever - see without going into space. Black nights over land usually have the odd light somewhere - no lights visible at sea unless 'non mil ships are chugging nearby' - which itself can be a worry. Lights at sea are dimmed so the pilot can see the ball as soon as possible. I could go on and on - carrier landings at night are a special case indeed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:00:54 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #951 on: March 24, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »
Two small questions on beta 0.800 :
1/ LIG
I thought LIG is only for CASE I recoveries but I was able to get ones on CASEII/III traps. Intended ?
By the way, does vLSO take the WOD/APPR SPEED in consideration for the LIG ?
For exemple, optimum WOD being 25kt (aircraft depending?), could a tolerance be applied when current WOD is much higher ?

Fair enough. Will implement in the next beta release. Let's start from this: if WOD > 25kts then LIG tolerance will increase by some 5-8%, or maybe by 1% per each 1.5-2kt of WOD above 25kts...

2/ Manual Ball Call
Is there a angle limitation for vLSO to detect the Manual Ball trigger ?
I mean, could one call the ball as soon as "at 45" or should the plane be in a narrower aspect angle ?
Currently it's a rectangular area 800x500x500 feet (WxHxL) at some 5000' aft. I think that being "at 45" would be well beyond current vLSO linup limits, in other words it would be a waveoff, right? By the way, do they call the ball at 45 in real life?

ExNusquam

« Reply #952 on: March 25, 2014, 11:35:34 am »
IRL, they call the ball whenever they see it, which can be the 45. Based on videos I've seen it seems to called just before they roll out in the groove, something more like 10°-20° before lineup.

upilote

« Reply #953 on: March 27, 2014, 05:40:53 pm »
Fair enough. Will implement in the next beta release. Let's start from this: if WOD > 25kts then LIG tolerance will increase by some 5-8%, or maybe by 1% per each 1.5-2kt of WOD above 25kts...
Great news. Thanks.

I think that being "at 45" would be well beyond current vLSO linup limits, in other words it would be a waveoff, right?
WOP exactly.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #954 on: May 12, 2014, 04:09:14 am »
Ok, guys
The new 0.8.1.0 is here

texxasal

• CVW-2.ORG
« Reply #955 on: May 12, 2014, 12:24:56 pm »
Release 0.8.1.0

Functionality is great, and performs as previous releases.

2 minor "cosmetic" points:

1. The "MARSHAL" call (which gives BRC, Case, Altimeter, etc. and is now computer-generated, addresses each aircraft with the identifier "99", which I would presume is an attempt at realistic presentation of the MODEX/SIDE/FLAP number of the aircraft. This information should be obtainable from the a/c within FSX, and is usually presented as the "Flight Number" field in the ATC NAME.

2. The "Lights on Deck" call is a nice enhancement, but should not be given continuously, as presently programmed. The best thing to do would probably check for the "Strobes ON" variable, rather than exterior lights master on, since other lights (Nav, Form) are often operating while on deck. As a second check, the advisory shouldn't be given when the a/c is "hooked up" to a catapult, preparatory to launch.

Minor stuff to be sure. The product continues to amaze and astound with it's functionality and detail.

Thanks

Al

GOONIE

« Reply #956 on: May 12, 2014, 02:30:05 pm »
Paddles,
Always good stuff, thanks brother for the latest release!  8)

Texxasal,

"99", is used in the navy to refer to all aircraft flying. If you listen to CATCC tapes, you hear them give 99 calls for generic information important to all aircraft in the air (e.g. BRC, altimeter, winds). Specific calls (e.g. 201 turn left heading 260) give side number.

Regarding the lights on deck, since you shouldn't have lights on the deck after trapping, I think the repeat is fine and should remind you to turn your lights off. I think the delay on the cat is adequate. Once you turn on your lights to signal ready to go, I just trigger the CAT launch (within 2-3 seconds) and don't hear the lights on deck call which has a longer delay. If you set the trigger with the hook position, it could miss a call after trapping correct?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:08:03 pm by GOONIE »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Tregarth

« Reply #957 on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:56 pm »
Dear FSXNP,

I have just tried to download v0810.   I simply clicked on the 0810 hyperlink but have not seen a zip file like this before (please see screen grab),  Is it right?

Thank you,

Tregarth

GOONIE

« Reply #958 on: May 12, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »
Tregarth,
Yes that is right, on the upper left hand corner of the Google page, it says 'File', click that to see the dropdown. You will see a 'download' feature at the bottom of that drop down, click that to download the zip file with everything you need.

-GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Tregarth

« Reply #959 on: May 13, 2014, 01:04:33 am »
Thank you very much, I have now downloaded it OK.

If you happen to live near Gatwick Airport (EGKK) I run the Gatwick Flight Simulation Group (www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk).  We meet on the first Sunday in every month. 

You will be very welcome,

Cheers,

Tregarth