Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 814730 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #915 on: February 21, 2014, 03:46:40 am »
Can I add additional "Marshall" sound files using the same file naming structure? For example would it be 1mile_.wav, or 1mile_1.wav or 1mile1.wav? If I wanted different calls at 1 mile.
No, the program currently uses only 1mile.wav. All others are just renamed alternatives. Should I use the same technique as with LSO calls, i.e. random selection?

I see you added a couple "roger ball Auto" and "wave off foul deck" audio files, is this a place holder or is this working?
'Roger ball auto' is a placeholder (still not decided on how to detect ATC approaches). WOFD will be implemented in one of the nearest betas.

I think you have a great mix of LSO audio files, do they all have triggers with the program? I say this because I have never heard a lot of them as I am reviewing the files, maybe because I fly such great approaches  ::)
Only five or six of them remain unused so you definitely fly great approaches...  ;D
I also plan to work on frequent 'dont settle/dont climb' calls and I'm gonna use that recent Figure 13, posted by syn.

Also I noticed you added Clara lineup to the manual call, can we now call both clara ball and lineup? Or just one at a time.

I guess you can  ;) Just didn't test these two manual calls during the same approach.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #916 on: February 21, 2014, 04:11:54 pm »
Paddles,

Very nice work as usual!  8)

Can I add additional "Marshall" sound files using the same file naming structure? For example would it be 1mile_.wav, or 1mile_1.wav or 1mile1.wav? If I wanted different calls at 1 mile.
No, the program currently uses only 1mile.wav. All others are just renamed alternatives. Should I use the same technique as with LSO calls, i.e. random selection?

Not critical, I was just thinking if you used the same technique as the LSO calls, I could add some "discontinue approach take angles 1.2" calls from the recent PLAT cam footage I have. I could add these files to the Marshall calls folder, and they would be randomly called.

Did a test flight last night in the VRS F/A-18E, couple things to report:

- I mainly use the manual ball and clara call feature, and when I hit the manual ball trigger now I hear the "ball" audio play, and then immediately get a the "roger ball". In the old vLSO implementation you didn't hear the virtual pilot call "ball", and the timing delay allowed for you to say "Rhino ball, 6.9" before vLSO called "roger ball". Is there a way to go back to the old manual ball call feature and timing? I deleted the "ball" calls from the LSO sound folder which solved the audio piece, but the timing is too fast following the manual trigger to make a normal ball call.

- The manual ball call works (vLSO recognizes the trigger) on the first pass, but on every other pass when I hit the manual ball call trigger I get no joy from vLSO. If I hit the manual Clara call on the second or third pass, vLSO recognizes it and then I can hit the manual ball and it works. Not sure what is going on here, but I tried this a few times and had similar results, first pass works on manual ball call, subsequent passes do not work with manual ball call unless clara is hit first.

- Does vLSO give you a WO call if you don't call the ball (when in Manual mode)? Got a WO call and was not sure why, could have been a bad trend in my approach or linked to the manual ball call issue I am having.

- Auto ball calls work fine with the program so far.

- Got a lot of "don't settle" calls, but see that you are working this based on your latest post, thanks!  ;D

- Got a WOP call with a bad approach, very cool!  8)

- After a bolter the vLSO doesn't select random new audio files from the LSO sound folder, is that hard to change?

- If you get the ATC monitor feature to work, another cool feature would be to monitor the state of the aircraft external lights. After you trap at night, if you do not turn off the lights within 3-4 seconds, vLSO could call "lights" or "lights on deck". I have both of these LSO calls.

GOONIE
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:45:18 pm by GOONIE »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

ExNusquam

« Reply #917 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:23 pm »
Goonie, For the VRS rollback issue, you can turn off the VRS brake setting via the VRS Misc. -> Carrier options menu.

I've also noticed the same issue as Goonie in regards to being unable to make a manual ball call unless I call clara first. I haven't tried it with manual ball enabled and manual clara disabled, however. This only happens after the first approach.

Also, on the FCLP page, night FCLP passes are listed by the same Case 3 symbol CV passes are listed with. As this CNTRA PPT states "Night FCLP procedurally are no different" and there is modification to the overhead pattern (60° AOB max). Could you create a night case 1 symbol for FCLP?

As for grading approaches, WOP is great. Got dinged for turning in early a few times...nice that vLSO finally enforces groove length.

Also in grading, I feel like the grades are a bit high; I finished my initial CQ period in .8 with 6 OK passes. A few of them even had comments on them. I feel like OK passes should be exceptional when you get them. I'm not sure if you can do a separate locus for just OK with much tighter restrictions, so that it's only possible to fly it on really, really good days.

GOONIE

« Reply #918 on: February 21, 2014, 06:20:49 pm »
Also in grading, I feel like the grades are a bit high; I finished my initial CQ period in .8 with 6 OK passes. A few of them even had comments on them. I feel like OK passes should be exceptional when you get them. I'm not sure if you can do a separate locus for just OK with much tighter restrictions, so that it's only possible to fly it on really, really good days.

I agree, changing the criteria to make it harder to get an OK would be great. I believe Paddles was looking at ways to monitor emergencies (e.g. engine out), and reserve the OK for those approaches.

My buddy who flies for VFA-37 got a OK on cruise when his HUD failed during a night trap. He did get comments from the LSO, (S.DLAR), so I guess comments are given even for an OK. I think the main thing is it has to be some extenuating circumstance (e.g. an emergency) combined with a solid pass that gets you the highest grade.

GOONIE

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #919 on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:47 pm »
Back in the olden days (1980) April when I think VF-805 were flying A4Gs in RIMPAC 1980 aboard HMAS Melbourne the SP (Senior Pilot = XO) himself an LSO (the first jet LSO in the RAN since the prop days of yore - no LSOs in Sea Venom era) was able to snag a perfect OK pass underlined no comments. BTW 'Stumpf' is LEUT Bob Stumpf USN on exchange, who went on to be a Blue Angels Leader later in the Hornet era [led the team from November 1992 to November 1994]. Top of page on left he gets an OK 4 wire (target). Old Stumpf PBS interview transcript here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/navy/oldnew/stumpf2.html

Bob was exonerated from all charges from TAILHOOK '91: http://articles.latimes.com/1993-10-08/news/mn-43590_1_blue-angels

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:42:37 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

GOONIE

« Reply #920 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »
Spaz,
Didn't know you could get an OK on a T/G. Your picture brings up another point that I noticed when my friend sent me his LSO score, looks like LSO short hand is different then currently implemented in vLSO. Looks like the LSO's grade includes deviations with the approach position all in one blurb, so (HIC), not (H)IC. It also combines several deviation for the same approach position with '.'  , so (H.LULIM), not (HLUL)IM.

Paddles, is it possible to update this shorthand? Not sure if it is even possible.

GOONIE

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #921 on: February 21, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »
Goonie, I'm not an LSO. The logbook is from early 1980 [LSO scribble today is probably different following latest LSO NATOPS] with two different LSOs recording approaches 'Baddams' is an A4G pilot (right hand page) whilst 'Wilson' is likely an S-2 pilot with VS-816 (I do not think he is A4G). The LSOs in the RAN were trained in the USofA at the LSO School. More than that I cannot say because I was out of the RAN FAA by mid 1975, whilst the LSO logbook is held at FAAM (Fleet Air Arm Museum) at NAS Nowra, NSW, Australia it is available in PDF Format here:

SpazSinbad Page Microsoft OneDrive:
FOLDER: FAA A-4G Skyhawk RAN PDFs
File Name: VF-805-LSO-log-Early1980pp81context.PDF (49Mb)
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=cbcd63d6340707e6&sa=822839791#cid=CBCD63D6340707E6&id=CBCD63D6340707E6%21119

SAME PDF on GoogleDrive:
https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0BwBlvCQ7o4F_aDhIQ0szeVJFY0U
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:08:42 pm by SpazSinbad »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #922 on: February 23, 2014, 06:18:05 pm »
Guys, thanks for the good feedback!

...I could add some "discontinue approach take angles 1.2" calls from the recent PLAT cam footage I have. I could add these files to the Marshall calls folder, and they would be randomly called.
Please more info on why and when do they call those "discontinue approach..." ?

Quote from: GOONIE
...Is there a way to go back to the old manual ball call feature and timing?
Fixed

The manual ball call works (vLSO recognizes the trigger) on the first pass, but on every other pass when I hit the manual ball call trigger I get no joy from vLSO. ...
Fixed

- Does vLSO give you a WO call if you don't call the ball (when in Manual mode)?
Actually it's a WOP, and you can see in the vLSO_log.txt file a 'Waveoff pattern (no pilot response)' record

- Got a lot of "don't settle" calls, but see that you are working this based on your latest post, thanks!  ;D
Keep working on it

- After a bolter the vLSO doesn't select random new audio files from the LSO sound folder, is that hard to change?
Fixed, also added randomization after each FCLP pass

- If you get the ATC monitor feature to work, another cool feature would be to monitor the state of the aircraft external lights. After you trap at night, if you do not turn off the lights within 3-4 seconds, vLSO could call "lights" or "lights on deck". I have both of these LSO calls.
ATC problem still unsolved. I believe it's ok to monitor the AC lights state, but I don't have any info. Could you be more specific on this?..

... "Night FCLP procedurally are no different" and there is modification to the overhead pattern (60° AOB max). Could you create a night case 1 symbol for FCLP?
A yellow 1 on black? Or just a solid black square, w/o CASE number?

Quote from: Joeairplane79
I agree an OK should not be that easy to score grade  ;)

And another grade has been added - OWO (own waveoff). This is for those perhaps rare but still possible occasions when a pilot aborts his landing somewhere near the ramp. Current vLSO would grade such an approach as if it were a successful landing, but w/o wire number.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:20:49 pm by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

jeff64

« Reply #923 on: February 23, 2014, 07:22:27 pm »
I believe it's ok to monitor the AC lights state, but I don't have any info. Could you be more specific on this?..

On night, aircraft on deck turn all lights off.

Lights are turned ON when ready to launch (instead of "salute" on day)
Lights are turned OFF when fully stopped after trap, while raising hook, signaling ready to taxi.
If an aircraft forgot to turn lights OFF after trapping (or any turn on any lights on deck, excepted aircraft on cat) air boss should issue a "lights" or "lights on deck" call.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #924 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »
From 01 May 2009 LSO NATOPS manual (the latest one I have and I think available online) has these notes about symbology:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:47:33 pm by SpazSinbad »

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #925 on: February 23, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »
Hey Paddles, I've been dying to test this all week, only to find that no matter what I do I can't connect vLSO to FSX.  SimConnect light is green but FSX light is always red.  I tried starting vLSO before FSX and after FSX, but no joy.  Anyone else having any problems?

EDIT: I reverted to 0.7.1.2 and it also is unable to connect to FSX, so I'm pretty sure it is something local to my system.  Time to start uninstalling things one by one I guess to see what the problem is  ???

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:26:31 am by pyroperson87 »
Pops

ExNusquam

« Reply #926 on: February 23, 2014, 08:56:12 pm »
If you need to test the simconnect interface, there's a quick program you can use in the SimConnect SDK called "AI Traffic.exe". If it displays "connected to flight simulator" your simconnect is working, and the problem is something else, if it displays otherwise, somethings wrong with your simconnect config.

A yellow 1 on black? Or just a solid black square, w/o CASE number?
A black square with a yellow 1 would be great, I think.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:03:05 pm by Joeairplane79 »

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #927 on: February 24, 2014, 03:03:03 am »
So here is my dilemma.  I do not have the FSX SDK installed because I purchased a digital version of FSX acceleration through the "Games for Windows Live" marketplace.  I have tried everything I can think of, including uninstalling the addons that I have installed since last using 0.7.1.2.  Still the same problem, no matter what the FSX light on VLSO stays red.  While I technically could GET the SDK by completely uninstalling, and reinstalling FSX from the GFWL marketplace, I really would rather NOT have to do that, as it must first download the 10GB installation files, and then install it which takes about 5-6 hours total to download and install, not to mention the hours spent reinstalling my various ORBX sceneries and REX textures.  Any chance I could get someone to send me their three simconnect.dll files JUST TO TEST THEM and see if I'm having issues with simconnect?  It would really suck to reinstall ALL of FSX and then still have the same issue.  :'(
Pops

GOONIE

« Reply #928 on: February 24, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »
Thanks Paddles, look forward to the updates!  ;)

...I could add some "discontinue approach take angles 1.2" calls from the recent PLAT cam footage I have. I could add these files to the Marshall calls folder, and they would be randomly called.
Please more info on why and when do they call those "discontinue approach..." ?

I noticed on the PLAT cam footage when the Hornet got wrapped up in the wires for ~10 minutes, several aircraft on final, <3NM, were told to discontinue approach and take angles 1.2 straight ahead. I know it must be frustrating for the pilots coming down the chute to get this call, but you can't control when the deck is fouled. I thought a good way to simulate this would be to add one or two of these discontinue calls to the Marshall sound folder, and if vLSO randomly selects it, it would simulate a random fouled deck. Not sure if it would work with vLSO, or if you would keep getting the same discontinue call from vLSO if the folder is not randomized for each approach. I also have a couple other sound clips for the mile callouts, which I could add to the folder if it was randomized like the main sound folder.

If you get the ATC monitor feature to work, another cool feature would be to monitor the state of the aircraft external lights. After you trap at night, if you do not turn off the lights within 3-4 seconds, vLSO could call "lights" or "lights on deck". I have both of these LSO calls.
ATC problem still unsolved. I believe it's ok to monitor the AC lights state, but I don't have any info. Could you be more specific on this?..

I think Jeff64 answered this well. I saw this happen on the PLAT cam footage twice, both times the pilot got a little low at the ramp. I presume the pilots were a little shaken up after the low approach and forgot to turn off all lights after trapping, resulting in the "lights" call. I've also done this in FSX, but didn't realize it until I was on the catapult and ready to go. When I went to switch on all lights (pinky switch) to signal ready on the CAT, my lights were already on,  :-[.  I thought it would be cool for vLSO to make the "lights" call during night approaches if you don't turn your lights off after trapping. Basically you would get a friendly reminder as they do in real life. The call should be delayed ~5 seconds, to give the pilot a chance to catch up to the aircraft after trapping.

Spaz,

Thanks for the LSO shorthand, understand the . and - mean something different then what I was thinking. Does it make sense to you what "on" or "to" means? The example the give was "slow on line up in close". Does that mean they took too much time (e.g. slow) to line up the aircraft in close? Or their airspeed was too slow when they were lining up the aircraft in close? Same question for the "to" or -. Thanks.

GOONIE

SpazSinbad

« Reply #929 on: February 25, 2014, 12:53:42 am »
I'm not trained as an LSO 'Goonie'. My guess would be the aircraft is slow (not slow to line up) in the example given. Why? Because it is important compared to how fast/slow one might be to line up - which gets to be irrelevant in close considering the lack of time available to do anything about it - power is more or less instant though to get back on speed. If bad line up further out then probably a wave off is called for, however anyone can get slow all of a sudden - anywhere - by taking off too much power or whatever for too long. Just my guess though.

"High in middle to in close" would mean IMHO that the aircraft is high during that part of the approach as defined (between middle and in close).

This is LSO shorthand which may not obey ordinary rules of English grammar. Not that youse Americans do that much anyway.  ;D So the mixture of shorthand when put 'into a sentence' may appear odd to those wanting to see 'proper Engrish'.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:56:18 am by SpazSinbad »