Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 820418 times)

syn

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #900 on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:33 pm »
My only issue with the new version(s) is that, with the T-45, when rolling out for a 15-18 second groove, my ball call is not getting registered as it seems to be done too close for vLSO. Thus I cannot see the ball call in the debrief nor the groove time (it says 0.0) I normally also get a "work on your lineup" call when I'm about to finish rolling out.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #901 on: January 30, 2014, 12:41:29 am »
Thanks Goonie for info on that mysterious number!
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #902 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:46 am »
Another thing LSOs do besides grade approaches, is report trends. Could vLSO do this for a given period?
Yeah, I have this feature on my to-do list (though on its bottom part). This gonna be an APARTS-like trend analysis table.

EDIT. Something like the Figure 2 of the attached PDF (thanks Spaz again for this info)

Also wanted to share that I found out what the number in the lower right corner of the PLAT cam is, it’s rate of descent in ft/sec. You need to multiply by 60 or just 6 to get the ft/min.
Roger that  8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:35:12 am by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #903 on: January 30, 2014, 05:36:15 pm »
Paddles,
Figure 2 and 3 from the APARTS document is exactly what I am talking about, great find BTW!

Just please don't require us to use a HP 9845 to view trends, with its whopping 2.3MB of storage and 187KB read/write memory  ;D :o

GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #904 on: February 01, 2014, 05:04:16 am »
Cannot remember if this PDF was sent to 'Paddles'/'FSXnavyPilot some time ago - so here it is again anyways plus added to the file attachments below:

Automated Trend Analysis for Navy-Carrier Landing Attempts
Neil C. Rowe | U.S. Naval Postgraduate School | Dec 2012
ABSTRACT
"A replacement system IPARTS is being built for the current U.S. Navy APARTS handheld data-entry device that records evaluations of landings of pilots on aircraft carriers. Navy aircraft are difficult to land and costly to repair, and extensive training and performance monitoring is important. Part of this task includes summarizing older data on landing attempts for comparison of pilot performances. We built tools for analyzing trends exhibited by pilots, pilot groups, aircraft, and evaluators in regard to grades, landing details, and verbal comments. Results are shown on a sample of 85,571 passes representing about 20% of the current Navy records, a significantly larger study than has ever been conducted. These results enabled building several kinds of predictive models of pilot performance which help identify particular pilot problems, and this should help in designing training programs.

Fairness of grading of pilots was also assessed by comparisons between military units, aircraft, and graders. The most novel part of the research was understanding and computing statistics on the comments, which are in a telegraphic format using a unique language; a 2433-rule standardization routine and a parser were built to interpret them. Comments were essential in understanding the context of grades. The comment counts were also especially helpful in designing a user interface for a replacement grading device we designed and tested. This work should provide new insights into the performance of military pilots."
http://faculty.nps.edu/ncrowe/rowe_itsec12_paper12247.htm

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #905 on: February 01, 2014, 06:25:09 am »
Yes, you have already sent this doc to me  :)

However 'Landing problem profile' shown on Figure 2 of the former PDF is what I'm going to implement. It is pretty much informative and easy to read.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #906 on: February 01, 2014, 09:40:50 am »
Here it is:

syn

« Reply #907 on: February 02, 2014, 01:41:00 pm »
Just some wishful thinking.

In most of the public (aka youtube) PLAT videos I have seen the most common LSO call by far is "power" or similar... However I barely hear that one with vLSO.

On the other hand, I get plenty of "don't settle" advisories, that actually prompt me to add power (unless I am fast).

So what about increasing the number of "power" calls against "don't settle" when the AOA is within the E (or maybe within the slow side but still within the E) and going below the GS?

Aside from that. I would like to extend on what I reported on my previous post about vLSO not recording my ball call when I turn inside the ball call range hardcoded.

As you can see the WOD and TIG don't get recorded, the "ball" audio doesn't play either. This is with Dino's T-45 and, although I didn't time, I am pretty sure it was 15+ seconds in the groove
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:07:21 pm by syn »

ExNusquam

« Reply #908 on: February 02, 2014, 05:30:00 pm »
WOD and TIG are only recorded if you actually called the ball. If you are going to turn in tight, you need to use manual ball call, which will work.

GOONIE

« Reply #909 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:08 pm »
Syn I agree with your observations. I get a lot of don't settle calls too.

I think the three most common calls in the RW ops are: little power, easy with it, and right for line up. It would be great to have vLSO mimic these, or give these more often, but will have to hear how Paddles implemented it, maybe we are settling too much. Can't argue with paddles in real life or virtual paddles in fsx :-X.

Paddles, I was thinking with your new export feature, to parse the data in the .csv file by groove position, lineup, glideslope, speed, repeat. For example:

X, LuL, 0, 0, IM, 0, (HI), 0, IC, 0, HI, 0, AR, 0, (HI), 0

Then one could import into excel and make a pivot table to recreate figure 2 from the APARTS doc to monitor trends.

Goonie

mjrhealth

« Reply #910 on: February 09, 2014, 08:00:52 pm »
HI,

Where does one get the slow fast numbers for in teh aircraft settings. Is this a trial and error thing. I also noticed the A4 and Tomcat where missing from the last release

Ta

SpazSinbad

« Reply #911 on: February 13, 2014, 12:17:26 am »
VFA-213 Black Lions Greenie Board Screen Shot right at the end of this two minute movie as described:

All hands on deck By Katie Perdaris

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/Features/2014/01/bds_carrier_01_28_14.page

“Crew members in Flight Deck Control alter the Ouija board, a waist-high replica of the flight deck at 1/16 scale, showing the status of the deck in real time.

In December a group of Boeing employees visited the USS George H.W. Bush at sea to get a feel for what life is like aboard an aircraft carrier, and to see F/A-18 Hornets and Super Hornets in action and meet the sailors who fly and maintain them. The ship’s crew of 5,000 worked together seamlessly to keep the ship operating around the clock.

Capt. Dan Cheever, Commander Carrier Air Wing 8, said communication and teamwork is essential. “It’s much like a football team or any other team. You have to work together, you have to communicate and you have to have mutual respect and demand the performance out of your team.”

Watch the video to hear more from the crew about teamwork and life aboard.”

VIDEO: http://bcove.me/9o8b4n6y

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #912 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:55 pm »
Ok guys
The new 0.8 beta is here

Don't worry about the new logbook format - the program will automatically convert your logbook to the new format, the LDF, provided the logbook was created by vLSO of the 0.7 series. The original DAT file will be renamed to Logbook.old.

Also, I'd suggest to move (not just copy) the Sound folder to a safe place and replace it with a new one from the package.

Well... Download, unzip, read that manual and have a good weekend flying with the new program!

GOONIE

« Reply #913 on: February 20, 2014, 08:17:38 pm »
Very Nice Paddles,

Can I add additional "Marshall" sound files using the same file naming structure? For example would it be 1mile_.wav, or 1mile_1.wav or 1mile1.wav? If I wanted different calls at 1 mile.

I see you added a couple "roger ball Auto" and "wave off foul deck" audio files, is this a place holder or is this working?

I think you have a great mix of LSO audio files, do they all have triggers with the program? I say this because I have never heard a lot of them as I am reviewing the files, maybe because I fly such great approaches  ::)

Also I noticed you added Clara lineup to the manual call, can we now call both clara ball and lineup? Or just one at a time.

Anyways, thanks for all the hard work brother!

GOONIE
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:49:55 pm by GOONIE »

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #914 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »
maybe because I fly such great approaches

I guess I do too since I haven't heard most of them either  ;)

Thanks for the hard work Paddles.  Really REALLY excited to fly with this tonight after work.
Pops