Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 818464 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #855 on: January 18, 2014, 05:54:14 am »
It was burned with some recording software, there is a Video_RM and Video_TS folder. There are several files inside each, looks like the .VOB is a place to start. I was able to get the .VOB files into windows movie maker, so will go from there.
Goonie,
If there's a Video_TS folder with a bunch of VOB files, then it's definitely a DVD. To my knowledge and experience, the whole video sequence is scattered through those VOB files so I'd recommend to use software specifically created for DVD ripping, top 5 of these you can find here.

Spaz,
Great video! Looks like the French use their own shore FLOLS. A rather simplified Mk14, I'd say...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:58:40 am by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
vLSO roll back feature
« Reply #856 on: January 18, 2014, 04:33:55 pm »
Ok, guys
Today I was able, at last, to film and compose a preview of one of the upcoming 0.8 beta's features - a roll back.

Ugly approaches, the quality of video leaves a lot to be desired - wrong aspect ratio, lack of sound...  :( Hey, who cares... Don't look at that, look how the planes roll back  ;)

And here's that Gaussian rule that rules the rollback:

Each value in column A sets the speed (ft/sec) of the aircraft's backward motion.

Generally I'm happy with what I've got. Maybe some minor corrections to this rule would be needed... You will try, see and decide.

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #857 on: January 18, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
 :o

That looked like a stationary boat.  How well does the effect work on a moving carrier?

Regardless, this is going to completely change FSX carrier ops.  Amazing work Paddles!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:10:08 pm by pyroperson87 »
Pops

DigitAL

« Reply #858 on: January 18, 2014, 08:01:59 pm »
Niice!

mjrhealth

« Reply #859 on: January 18, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »
Thanks paddles just keeps gettin better

GOONIE

« Reply #860 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:00 am »
Paddles,

The rollback is looking great!

I just recut some of my old FSX footage to showcase vLSO, with music from the JO VFA-37 Cruise video. I also added some new shots from my home pit, flying pitching deck.

&feature=youtu.be

PLAT video is also now on my computer, but can only upload 15 minutes to youtube, so here is a sample:

GOONIE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:46:32 am by GOONIE »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #861 on: January 19, 2014, 04:34:44 am »
'Goonie' your vLSO segment was especially good. Great work on the video. Thanks for that. (I'll look at that PLAT now.)
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

pyroperson87

« Reply #862 on: January 19, 2014, 07:49:08 am »
Goonie that PLAT footage is a damn POT OF GOLD for vLSO audio clips!  Thanks a lot for posting it.

EDIT: Do you know what the story is with AC300 that traps at about 7:00 and then takes about 5 minutes to clear the LA?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:53:29 am by pyroperson87 »
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #863 on: January 19, 2014, 07:56:44 am »
That looked like a stationary boat.  How well does the effect work on a moving carrier?
Yes, it was a stationary boat because of FSrecorder which doesn't replay moving ships.
Of course, the effect works equally well on both moving and statonary ships.

PLAT video is also now on my computer...
Lovely! Plenty of new LSO and marshal calls. 8) If there's a time limit on Youtube then what about other storages (like Google Disk or something) to upload the whole video sequence, so people would be able to d/l and watch it on their PCs?

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #864 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:02 am »
GoogleDrive was good when I joined with plenty of free space without difficult size restrictions (unlike SkyDrive for example). However it does require registering but that has not been a problem? Don't really know I suppose.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #865 on: January 19, 2014, 02:33:48 pm »
For initial CQ I think it would be great if Dino's T-45 was mandatory for this portion.

For undergraduate CQ, any aircraft would be fine. 
Sorry, I'm not sure that the order of CQs is correct  ;)
According to NATOPS:

Undergraduate CQ
Pilot's first day carrier qualifications prior to designation as a Naval Aviator.

Initial CQ
Pilot's first day or day/night carrier qualification as a designated Naval Aviator.

That means they can only fly Undergraduate CQ in the T-45...

However, since there will be no limit to the number of passes used to obtain your minimum number of day/night traps, a way to still increase the challenge would be to have vLSO reject any passes that were flown with ATC APP enaged (or the equivalent autothrottle modes of other aircraft types).  I'm not sure that this is even physically possible to implement, or that anyone else would be interested in such a feature.  It would be great for realism though as ATC APP is not to be used during any CQ event.
By default, in the Hornet (and in other aircrfat) you can toggle Autopilot airspeed hold mode, which was previously discussed here at the FSDT forums.
I have tested that Ctrl-R and it really worked!  ;D Did a couple of passes with ATC engaged (see the attached images) - it was real fun and I think I'll have to add this feature to the program. (A) for APC/Auto is a standard LSO notation.  8)
Also I will need some 'ball, auto' and 'roger ball, auto' calls to implement it.

Thanks for this great idea, Pyro!

PS. Oh yeah, I had to add the ATC indication to Neutrino's HUD.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:48:16 pm by Paddles »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #866 on: January 19, 2014, 03:14:03 pm »
Anyone knows what's that two-digit number at the lower right corner of PLAT video?

pyroperson87

« Reply #867 on: January 19, 2014, 08:16:27 pm »
Oops!  Didn't even notice that I had those backwards there  :D

In the Rhino it shows as "ATC APP" on the HUD when using ATC in PA mode. Anyone know why they changed it from just "ATC" on the legacies?
Pops

Orion

« Reply #868 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:40 pm »
I've heard that number to be the absolute value of the VSI of the aircraft, truncated to the hundreds/tens digits.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #869 on: January 20, 2014, 12:06:51 am »
'Orion' thanks - it seems the waveoffs show the decreasing rate of descent and I guess the hundreds of feet scale make the changes look rough perhaps.