Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 814455 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #585 on: January 13, 2013, 11:57:59 pm »
'fsxnp' Yes please. I second 'Tregarth'. Great idea to have vLSO with your FCLP Missions when you are ready. Thanks.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #586 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:49 am »
Yes, the next release will support FCLP. My Coupeville FCLP scenery and missions will be modified a bit to be compatible with the program. So this gonna be a Vol.3 pack, I guess  :) As for El Centro scenery and its missions pack, I don't plan to change anything yet...
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

skimmer

« Reply #587 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:14 am »
Thank you,thank you,and thank you fsxnavypilot.I plan to delete the one folder vLSO and reinstall this new one.Gotta say downloading this was a lot eaiser to. :)

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #588 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:06 am »
Sounds good. If El Centro Missions 1 & 2 are for beginners during the day - they won't be distracted by LSO calls.  ;D

Mission 5 at Coupeville will be something else with vLSO.

jeff64

« Reply #589 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:57 pm »
Hello FSXNP

Installed you 0650 today, and for now, I have the Case label on every start.

But (always a but), the Expected Final Bearing is ALWAYS to Zero (whichever the carrier heading is, or the wind direction).

I use Tacpack so maybe it comes from here.

It does not bother me, but just want to give you this info.

Thank you very much for your great work ;)

Johan

« Reply #590 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:53 am »
Johan,
The default path is actually a racetrack oval 9 nm long, so the tanker banks only when it turns upwind and downwind. Two straight legs take some 2 minutes to go. The path is currently not moving - I just thought that a couple of full circles would be enough to tank. Two circles will take less than 15 minutes and at the speed of, say, 25 knots the boat will advance some 5-6 nm, or just a half of the pattern's lengh.

Serge,

It works perfectly for me, great addition, the tanker even shows as an AI... It would be nice if you could regroup the tanker function on your main board (via a click on, click off) so that you don't need to call on the add-on menu...but it's a small detail.
Thank you,

Johan

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #591 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:09 am »
It would be nice if you could regroup the tanker function on your main board (via a click on, click off) so that you don't need to call on the add-on menu...

Oh, really? I thought it would be more convenient to call the tanker via FSX add-on menu rather than pushing buttons on the vLSO main window.  :) People flying in full screen modes would have to switch to vLSO window first, then click the tanker button and then switch back to FSX... That's why I placed this option in the FSX add-on menu. Besides, I plan to add to this menu some other options like FCLP, quals etc.  8)

Johan

« Reply #592 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:36 am »
Yes you are right, it all depends on the configurations people have. I have a dedicated screen for your board, so it is easy for me to click anywhere on it as I am flying...

Johan

jeff64

« Reply #593 on: January 15, 2013, 10:34:07 am »
Besides, I plan to add to this menu some other options like FCLP, quals etc.  8)

That's great news;)

Victory103

« Reply #594 on: January 15, 2013, 07:14:11 pm »
Anyone figured out a way to get the Iris S-3 buddy store to stay deployed while flying as AI?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #595 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:32 am »
Read this discussion. That Ctrl-W (Toggle Water Rudder) command can be sent to the S-3B, flying as AI, via SimConnect only. A quick programming test proved feasible and my AI Viking deployed/retracted the drogue at my will. However only 'viking' models has the drogue, others like 'shadow', 'viking_clean', 'viking_harp' and 'viking_ferry' don't, because they don't have a refuel pod on the left wing station.

So, technically it's possible to control the Viking's drogue even in AI mode.  :)
For example, if you're approaching closer than, say, 50 ft the Viking tanker will deploy its drogue atomatically. Something like that...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:08:44 am by fsxnavypilot »

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #596 on: January 17, 2013, 05:46:58 am »
Quick question.  I flew a case 3 approach and got an OK 1.  Is that even a grade in RL?  I would imagine a 1 wire, regardless of how pretty the approach would be (OK) at best, but I'm not sure if case 3 grading is more lenient or something.
Pops

SpazSinbad

« Reply #597 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:44 am »
Sadly Neptunus Lex died in a Kfir crash last year but he wrote a lot online about USN NavAv. He was an LSO amongst other things. Here is one brief description of grades:

Landing grades By lex, on September 7th, 2004

http://www.neptunuslex.com/2004/09/07/landing-grades/

"We grade every landing that a pilot performs aboard the aircraft carrier.

There’s a board in every ready room, displaying the color-coded grades. Everyone in that highly competitive environment knows exactly where he fits in the hierarchy of the one thing which separates every Navy pilot from his terrestrial, mortal counterparts: Landing aboard the ship. You could have an outstanding mission, replete with shacked targets, dead bandits and superior airborne leadership. But if you came back and landed on the “ace,” the one-wire, it was a bad hop.

It’s not only what wire you catch (although that is important) – it’s how you get there. While it’s pretty hard to get a good grade on the one-wire, and impossible if you bolter, there are nearly as many 4.0 two-wires as there are three-wires.

Smooth, predictable and controlled. Or at least making it look that way.

Because we’re all about appearances.

Actually, the reason why we grade landings is part of a continuous process improvement plan – we work hard to do it well when it’s easy, so that we can do it at all when it’s hard. And it does get hard. Chinese algebra hard, when the deck is moving, and the weather rolls in, and the moon is a distant memory of a time when it didn’t suck, quite so bad.

So the grades:

OK – An “Oh-kay.” A 4.0 grade, pretty much the best that you can do – above average, in other words. There’s also the OK (Oh-kay, underline) – reserved for outstanding landings with significant complicating factors – an engine out, for example. You don’t count on OK.

Next is a (OK), or “fair” pass. Fleet average. The parentheses are used in LSO shorthand to indicate “a little.” So a (OK) is a little OK. A 3.0 grade.

Next is a bolter, indicated by a “B.” A bolter is a 2.5 grade – better than the worst normal pass, the “No-grade” (2.0), defined as “below average.” A No-grade is ugly, but safely ugly. Nevertheless, you don’t want to make a habit of being safely ugly. You’re not getting paid for that.

Next down the list is a “wave-off,” a 1.0 grade, defined as “unsettled dynamics, potentially unsafe.” The “eat at Joe’s” lights come on, you add full power, and are asked to try again. Harder.

Finally comes the worst grade, the “Cut.” A 0.0 grade, defined as “unsafe deviations inside the wave-off window.” The wave-off window is that moment in space and time where no matter what the LSO tells you to do, you’re going to land. Somewhere. You definitely don’t want to get many of those. They’re career enders.

Anyone who maintains a GPA above 3.0 is professionally safe. Anyone who’s GPA starts with a 2-point-anything had better start working harder.

The LSO’s use shorthand to grade a pass – something written down as: (OK) OC NEP-BC /IM (NEP-CDIC) SDAR LOBDRIW 2, would translate into, “Fair pass: over-controlled a little not enough power on the ball call, fly through up in the middle, a little not enough power on the come-down in close, settle/decel at the ramp, low, flat, drift right in the wires. Two-wire.” As a pilot, you’d like to hear as few comments as possible, since comment quantity has an inverse relationship to landing quality.

At the end of every line period (anywhere from three weeks to three months, depending on what the carrier has been doing), the air wing will gather in the ship’s forecastle (pronounced foc’s'l) for an awards ceremony. There are songs, and skits and much buffoonery before awarding those pilots who have passed a milestone (100, 200, 300 traps, etc) and finally the “Top Ten” in landing grades. It’s a lot of fun, especially if you’re in the Top Ten. More especially still if you’re the number one guy, the “Top Hook.”

Because landing aboard the ship at all hours, and in all conditions, is what we do. I mean, anyone can merely fly a fighter. Right?"

http://www.amazon.com/wiki/Landing_Signal_Officer

"...Example Grade
It is a common misconception that pilots are graded based on the wire their tailhook catches on the pass. LSOs don't look at where the plane landed, they look at how it got there. It is possible for a pilot to fly a safe pass and land on a 1 wire, it is also possible that a plane catches a 3 wire and the landing is unsafe. Under normal circumstances, on Nimitz class carriers the targeted hook touchdown point is halfway between the two wire and the three wire...."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:24:45 pm by SpazSinbad »

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #598 on: January 17, 2013, 07:38:48 pm »
That was a good read.  I knew that the grade wasn't solely based on the wires, but I just didn't think a 4.0 1 wire was possible since you would have to be at a minimum (LO)AR or have some serious decel.  But this has certainly given me a new goal: OK 1 wire  :o :o :o
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #599 on: January 18, 2013, 03:15:03 am »
No chance, mate  ;D With vLSO you can only have an Ok 3.