Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 818433 times)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #570 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:28 am »
Serge,

I was hoping to add the Captain Sim Delta Hornet to the custom aircraft definitions.  I want to use the same parameters that are used for the Sludge Hornet, but noticed that they must be hard coded into the program since they aren't in the vLSO config file.  Any chance you could post those values, or point me to where they might be found?  I quickly searched this thread but didn't see anything.

Thanks!

Pyro
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #571 on: January 09, 2013, 07:55:37 am »
No problem, here's the F18A Hornet specs:

ATC_model := 'F18';
  Type := 'Hornet';
  Name := 'F/A-18A Hornet';
  AbeamClose := 1.25;
  AbeamWide := 1.50;
  Fast := 6.9;
  Slow := 9.3;

Tell me what's the ATC_model of the Delta Hornet and I'll add it to the program
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:58:16 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

pyroperson87

« Reply #572 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:16 am »
No problem, here's the F18A Hornet specs:

ATC_model := 'F18';
  Type := 'Hornet';
  Name := 'F/A-18A Hornet';
  AbeamClose := 1.25;
  AbeamWide := 1.50;
  Fast := 6.9;
  Slow := 9.3;

Thanks!
Pops

pyroperson87

« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2013, 08:09:42 am »
Serge,

Another question.  If two aircraft have the same ATC_Model, vLSO should work for both of them, correct?  I.e. the Sludge Hornet model is F18 and the CS F-18D model is F18, so it would read those as one and the same aircraft in the logbook?
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2013, 09:07:40 am »
Good question  :)
If two aircraft have the same ATC_Model, vLSO will load both of them. But the last one will be set as current (and logged in the logbook).

This allows you to override the default settings if needed
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:27:57 am by fsxnavypilot »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #575 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:43 pm »
Relevant to the 'Kenan' question about 'vLSO waveoff using needles' on previous page....

The complete article about NOT using the 'needles' as a substitute meatball is here:
Night carrier landings with ENBSeries/Shade
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5024.0

Otherwise relevant excerpt below:

Naval Aviation News Winter 2011 ‘The Backup Meatball’ NOT!

http://nanarchive.omnitecinc.com/20102012.aspx

“...caused the Hornet to strike the flight deck rounddown at the point where the tailhook is attached to the aircraft.... The pilot ejected and landed on the flight deck, sustaining major injuries; the aircraft was lost.... ...the pilot stated that his carrier landing technique was to use his Automated Carrier Landing System (ACLS) needles as his primary reference & use the Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System, or meatball, as a backup for glide slope information.

Grampaw Pettibone says: “…And our intrepid aviator? Well, Ol’ Gramps knows that every pilot has his way to do stuff, but using the ACLS needles in close instead of flying the ball is about as dumb as skinny dippin’ with snapping turtles. Gouge is great, but it’s no substitute for knowing the right way to do things and stickin’ to what’s worked for a long, long time. Gramps knows that none of this fella’s LSOs taught him that ACLS technique—he should have stuck with what he’d learned."....”
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:28:57 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Victory103

« Reply #576 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:22 am »
Got a chance to do some Case 3 stuff with the latest version and like that the audio was added from what seems like a popular Utube audio link, any thoughts to add the rest of that audio for background chatter during the approach? Case 3 recoveries as you can hear in the full version are pretty busy on the radios and would add to the immersion factor. Of course if you are doing the CV-1 to an empty Nimitz model like I was, I guess it doesn't matter.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #577 on: January 11, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »
Some WIP screenshots to tease people...  ;D
This beta 0.6.5.0 will allow you organic tanking. Easy to arrange, but tough to fly  :o Really challenging task...
Here I am hanging behind the S3 tanker:

My hands still shaking... Oh, boy  ;D

Victory103

« Reply #578 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
Nice shots, would be good if we can get the hose deployed, I know it's tied to the model file and not the animations, so FSR will not use it.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

SUBS17

« Reply #579 on: January 12, 2013, 08:28:58 am »
That looks awesome.

pyroperson87

« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
I'm not sure if this is even possible, but would there be a way to get the trap gauge info (touchdown RoD, AoA, airspeed) into the debrief in a future release?  Obviously not overly important but it would be nice to see it again after the fact.

Pyro
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2013, 09:13:39 am »
I'm not sure if this is even possible, but would there be a way to get the trap gauge info (touchdown RoD, AoA, airspeed) into the debrief in a future release?  

I will do some feasibility studies  ;)

PS. The 0.6.5.0 beta is ready to test. See the first message or visit my blog for d/l links.
I highly recommend to use as a tanker a freeware FSX S-3B. It flies very smooth patterns.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:04:13 am by fsxnavypilot »

Johan

« Reply #582 on: January 12, 2013, 04:42:57 pm »
Great new feature fsxnvp, thank you. I see on your blog the air tanker is following a circular path above the AC. Is this path moving as the AC is sailing as well?

Johan

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #583 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:45 pm »
Johan,
The default path is actually a racetrack oval 9 nm long, so the tanker banks only when it turns upwind and downwind. Two straight legs take some 2 minutes to go. The path is currently not moving - I just thought that a couple of full circles would be enough to tank. Two circles will take less than 15 minutes and at the speed of, say, 25 knots the boat will advance some 5-6 nm, or just a half of the pattern's lengh.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:03:16 pm by fsxnavypilot »

Tregarth

« Reply #584 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:43 pm »
Dear FSXNP,

A (long) while ago you said you would produce a version of vLSO which would be compatible with Field Carrier Landing Practice (El Centro).  In all of the updates you have released is one of them compatible with the FCLP?  If so which one, please?

I enjoy using FCLP and would be grateful if I can add vLSO to it.

Thank you,

Tregarth.