Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 819043 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #360 on: April 10, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »
Fellas..

Had a go with the new numbers last night and it was pretty good. My numbers are alongside Mike's numbers, but give just a touch more waveoff leeway AR (600') to IW (in-the-wires; approx 200').

When I get home, I'll make sure to post the numbers.

A good way to test them will be to fly a solid on-speed and on-G/S approach. About 0.3NM, while holding the the "W" (nose) at 5 deg up, pull off the power til the velocity vector is between the 1-wire and the rundown. As soon as you start sinking, you should get the waveoff. Also, during the debrief screen, you should see the "waveoff balloon" right about the FIRST RED LINE. This seems to me a good place for that to happen, as you can still kick in burner and salvage a waveoff without an IFE (inflight engagement) of the arresting cable.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:32:45 pm by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #361 on: April 10, 2012, 08:53:15 pm »
Serge...

Since my modding will be in concert with carrier ops at this point, I'll try to get you more data on the "Range Error" problem.

I read some of SANDPRO's posts and have encountered some of those problems myself, recently. It might be the effective range of the program as I do alot of "SLEW" approaches for my testing. And yes, I've probly flown on the order of hundreds of traps doing this as anyone who has Skype'd with me can attest... "its sooo pretty". I talk alot of trash during my OK3 passes.

I noticed that when I SLEW'd past 2.0 NM, after my initial straight in pass, I would get the error message, so I'll do some more testing to confirm this. This is a new occurrence for me, as I usually SLEW to 1.5NM and 1500', and start my "test pass" but this time, when I went past 2.0 and noticed I got the "range error". I will also get you the relevant data (aircraft config., distance from carrier, etc.) on any other instances I get the error.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:57:12 pm by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #362 on: April 11, 2012, 07:30:31 am »
Fellas...

Here's my numbers for the LOCUS.GS, test them out and see how they work for ya. Just copy/paste into your vLSO.INI file and let it rip.

[Locus.GS]
; The glideslope locus.
; This is a boundary which represents the locus of points in the vertical plane from which
; the aircraft will reach an on-glideslope condition at the ramp.
; Distances are measured in feet from the touchdown point.
;---    Dist  Up     Down
Pos.0 = 5200, 1.30, -1.60
Pos.1 = 2200, 1.30, -1.60
Pos.2 = 2000, 0.80, -1.20
Pos.3 = 1400, 0.45, -0.85
Pos.4 = 600, 0.45, -0.75
Pos.5 = 250, 0.45, -0.85

Later
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2012, 05:05:57 am »
Just a question to FSXNAVYPILOT, those Qualifications in the menue has anyone completed them and if so what is the result? Unfortunately my Cougars pots are wearing out and it'll be a couple of months before I can get some Hall sensors. So is there a reward for your logbook if you succeed in 6 or 10 traps concecutively? Also is it based on just trapping on the boat like the FSX carrier practice mission or is it based on scoring from vLSO?(so it still counts even if its a wave off)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:46 am »
SUBS17,
The idea was to simulate the real qualification procedure - you fly one or two warmup T/G passes, then make those 6-10 (or whatever) consecutive SUCCESSFUL traps and get LSO's comment 'sure you're qualed'.  :) No additional scoring or logbook marks (are there any in real life?) BTW, what they do in reality in case of a waveoff during quals?
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SUBS17

« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:27 am »
I've had a couple of attempts at it but my Hotas is spiking on the roll axis so they are hairy attempts at best. Some ideas though you could have a reward to go into the pilots logbook to show he has completed the qualification. Also you could do a separate reward for doing the same during CASE III or even worse conditions one. Its a great idea adding that stuff I thought that it would have to be within a mission but forgot that FSX gives rewards for total landings etc. One thing might help is a counter or a comment by the IP 2 down 4 to go etc. You could even add IP comments(T45) if you wanted to add immersion as it is the vLSO is brilliant. 

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2012, 07:13:11 am »
Just be warned - one of the previous betas had FSX CarQual menu items, but no actual implementation. So upgrade your Cougar to Halls with no hurry, there is still time...  ;D

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #367 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:41 am »
fsxnp asked: "...BTW, what they do in reality in case of a waveoff during quals?"

As I recall there was a discussion about this on an earlier thread/page? Anyway a Hornet Pilot USN would have qualified firstly with the T-45C then it is a matter of qualifying on type. I believe these requirements were rewritten or modified for latest version of the LSO Reference Manual or whatever (NATOPS?). Still have not found the 2010 edition of the Refence Manual online yet....

Anyway it all depends what the 'waveoff' is for. If pilot makes own waveoff then it won't count. If for a badder pilot reason :-) [LSO calls waveoff for bad approach] then it may be a problem if pilot in Hornet already attempting to qualify. I have read stories of pilots being sent back to the beach, to either 'face the music' or do more FCLP. Probably in real life most waveoffs are for a foul deck or for practice (to ensure pilot obeys the 'waveoff'). There are waveoffs to get seriously messed up pilots OFF the ramp. Now that would be an interesting LSO debrief to attend. Or not. :-)

ADDITION: One needs to keep in mind that a Hornet pilot will have made many FCLPs ashore to the satisfaction of the LSO that will supervise his / her CarQual. If that pilot is not good enough then they will not go to the carrier. Wasting carrier time by unnecessary pilot waveoffs would be discouraged. I'd expect that all pilots do rather well with some exceptions (read the story about the Night Qual pilot using the needles to touchdown/rampstrike).

Weather conditions can make the carqual more difficult but allowances would be made for that to some extent. Otherwise some really good pilots go out there ready to qualify and not mess about.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:56:34 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #368 on: April 13, 2012, 05:19:31 pm »
One needs to keep in mind that a Hornet pilot will have made many FCLPs ashore to the satisfaction of the LSO that will supervise his / her CarQual. If that pilot is not good enough then they will not go to the carrier. Wasting carrier time by unnecessary pilot waveoffs would be discouraged.

Exactly! But in this sim no one could guarantee that a pilot has completed at least a half-dozen FCLP periods prior to carquals. No one could prevent a casual flyer from trying to qualify. We'd better leave it up to that poor chap  ;D

SUBS17

« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2012, 07:52:55 am »
You could add that, the BFT Campaign is similar to the FSX lessons missions where you have to pass specific flights to get a particular qualification. eg Private Pilots, Student Pilots in FSX require a series of trainning missions followed by a check ride after which the pilot recieves a certificate that they can actually print on the printer. ;) (which the die hards can hang on the wall)So you could expand to a more realistic scenario where there is similar trainning missions requiring FCLP after completion the pilot gets a certificate and you could even go as far as passing FSXNAVYPILOTS check ride. ;D Then move onto Carrier Quals. FSX BTW does allow for pilot coaching for things such as circuits so you could even make use of that although unlike the FSX trainning missions the lane boundarys somehow have to move with the carrier like the carriers ILS. ;) (you could even go as far as a signature as a reward etc)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2012, 06:53:17 am »
SUBS....

You could add that, the BFT Campaign is similar to the FSX lessons missions where you have to pass specific flights to get a particular qualification

WTF?! What is BFT? Does it pertain to FSX? Can we even do that?

Later
Sludge

micro

« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2012, 06:55:30 am »

Later
Sludge

Double ditto

SUBS17

« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »
SUBS....

You could add that, the BFT Campaign is similar to the FSX lessons missions where you have to pass specific flights to get a particular qualification

Later
Sludge

The answer to that is yes you can do this in FSX as the Learning Centre/Lessons use a similar type of method of trainning. BFT is the series of missions for the Flight Qualifications Campaign which allows players to be trainned to fly. Its quite good at the moment its just for DCS A-10C but FSX already has some missions which cover some of this stuff. Carrier Quals is a trainning type enviroment and fits right in for this type of instruction.

(check out the last minute in this video)

Heres a After Action Report on the campaign.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3544403/DCS_A_10C_Maple_Flag_Basic_Fli.html#Post3544403

So for FSX it might be a mission which involves starting up, taxi, take off, fly to the carrier, enter the circuit, carryout 6 or 10 traps then fly back to base or park up and shut down on the carrier. FSXs carrier tutorial featured a moving carrier and the voice from the instructor was triggered as the player flew over ships that were in specific areas in the circuit such as down wind/base leg. Eventually when such missions are used on the next generation of sims once qualified it'll probably be logged and rewarded and regarded as a sim Qual. 8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:12:44 pm by SUBS17 »

SUBS17

« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
A-10C Basic Flight Training Qualification

A 12 Mission Campaign that covers Basic Flight Training Qualification in the A-10C Warthog.

The A-10C Pilot Qualification Course has the following phases:

Phase 1: Academic Classes and Pre-Flight Training
 Phase 2: Basic Flight Training Qualification Campaign
 Phase 3: Advanced Aircraft Training Fighter / Bomber Track Qualification Campaign

Hopefully you have completed Phase 1 and are familiar with the A-10C aircraft systems and instruments. If not, please read the DCS A-10C Flight Manual before continuing.

The goal of the A-10C Pilot Qualification Course is to prepare Cadets for combat operations flying the A-10C in a number of mission roles. Commanders require pilots with the skills and training necessary to be successful on the battlefield.

Each Phase of training will contain individual Performance Objectives (POs) that must be met to pass the course. Performance Checks (PCs) will be used to determine if you have met the requirements of the PO.

Following each flight (known as a Check Ride) your Flight Examiner (FE) will rate you using one of the following proficiency levels as directed in A/OA-10 – Aircrew Evaluation Criteria: AFI11-2A-OA-10V2:
 Qualified (Q): Performance is correct. Quickly recognizes and corrects errors.

Qualified Minus (Q-): Performance is safe, but indicates limited proficiency. Makes errors of omission or commission.

Unqualified (U): Performance is unsafe or indicates lack of knowledge or ability.

In addition for any flight missions:

Qualified (Q): Altitude +/- 200 feet, Airspeed +/- 5%, Course +/- 5 degrees / 3 NM (whichever is greater)

Qualified Minus (Q-): Altitude +/- 300 feet, Airspeed +/- 10%, Course +/- 10 degrees / 5 NM (whichever is greater)

Unqualified (U): Exceeded Q- limits

Basic Flight Training Qualification has the following objectives:

Contact Stage (VFR):
 1. Perform Ground Handling
2. Perform Take-Off and EFATO
3. Fly Traffic Pattern
4. Perform Approach and Landing
5. Perform Basic Maneuvers
6. Perform Advanced Handling
7. Perform Aerobatics
8. Respond to Emergencies

Instrument / Navigation Stage (IFR):
 9. Instrument Approach (Landing)
10. Instrument Flight Plan Navigation

Formation Stage:
 11. Fly 2 Ship as Wingman

Low-Level Stage
 12. Fly Low-Level Flight Plan

Good luck Cadet.  You are going to need it!

Although this is a payware campaign for DCS A-10C its actually very good for pilot trainning.

micro

« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09:37 am »
I've been taking a vacation from FSX but had the urge to make a mini-vid tonight. It's not "pitching deck", but it sure is fun. Give it a try.