Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 818437 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:59 am »
TGiesige...

What level of vLSO are you using?

I'd recommend NOT using ATC (auto throttle control) on the 'Bug. Its a known issue (doesn't hold 8.1 AoA) that they may or may NOT fix? So get used to using manual throttle on approach and keep the "E bracket" (HUD AoA) centered on the velocity vector by keeping the nose close to the 5 deg nose up on the Pitch Ladder. There's also an physical AoA indexer for that on the left bracket. I'd also advise working on lineup during your approach, as you start right of F/B (Final Bearing; ICLS needle left), let it "drift" over and then get left of F/B (ICLS needle right), then settle for left touchdown while aiming right. This doesnt help the approach at all and is evident when you land and almost tip over at trap.

Personally, I'd turn of ICLS when its not night/Case III. Its not like civilian cat-III ILS needles that can take you down to the runway. If you fly the needles, you'll always chase them and it wont get you on deck at the right wire. Once you get to the 3/4 mile, fly the ball ONLY.

Also, you are wayyyyy over weight. Look at the listings for "max trap weight" and I'm sure 14k will not even be close. On your FMD (Fuel Mgmt Display), its reading 14k, and thats why you make a pass at 155 kts. Thats far too fast. Not sure about the Super Bug but a CLEAN Legacy Hornet is 8.5k total fuel for MAX trap weight, w/145 kts approach speed.

The "dont settle" call means dont pull off anymore power cause you are going below glideslope. If you look carefully, you can see that you are starting to settle AR because thats what ATC on the Bug will do.

Later
Sludge

ExNusquam

« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2012, 04:23:30 am »
It works perfectly with my VRS. As for your videos:
1st Pass: You were low. That wasn't "On Glideslope". You were a solid ball or two below the "OK" region, and not correcting.
2nd Pass: You got a "Don't Settle" at the ramp because your sink rate was over 1000 fpm. The "Don't Settle" call is used if the AC is on GS, but the current sink rate will take the AC below it. vLSO shouldn't have given you a waveoff over the ramp, but, in real life, a sink rate of 1000 fpm anywhere on the pass would be a recipe for a waveoff or no grade, at best. It's highly unstable.

Also, as Sludge said, you are over max trap weight. Max trap weight for the SH is 44,000 lbs (You can find it on the CHK page), which should give you an onspeed KCAS of 137 kts.

The "dont settle" call means dont pull off anymore power cause you are going below glideslope. If you look carefully, you can see that you are starting to settle AR because thats what ATC on the Bug will do.
As per the LSO NATOPS, a "Don't Settle" is a call for more power, as the current AC sink rate is going to take it below GS. "You're a little low" would be the next call if corrective action is not taken. Also, I'll have to fly an Auto approach, but I've never noticed anything odd about the VRS's ATC. You get crappy FSX ground effect instead of the burble, which is why it pulls power, but I've flown OK3 passes with ATC on.

micro

« Reply #332 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:53 am »
Joeairplane and Sludge pretty much nailed it on the head from what I saw in those vids. Right for line-up and fly a "cresting" ball, not the needles.

P.S.: Joe, I like the sig! BKR!

SUBS17

« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:41 am »
Had my first Bolter today great work this mod is awesome.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2012, 10:23:09 am »
... I'm guessing you'll need to revise your debrief window to read some like this:
600' - AR; 1500' - IC; 2300' - IM; 3100'-3600' - X; 4000' - BC; 5000' - BR
And instead of a solid lines for the start, use dashed lines. This would make the start variable, a window, as it should be for each pass.

Sludge,
Fair enough. However, my suggestion slightly differs:  ;)
600' - AR; (1/4 nm) 1500' - IC; (1/2 nm) 3000' - IM; 4000 - X, BC; (3/4 nm) 4500' - BR
My guess is that the Start is where the pilot starts calling the ball, right? Given the approach speed of 145 kts, we'll have some 16 sec in the groove, and at 130 kts groove time will be exactly 18 sec...  :)
And it's ok to add some randomization, or a window. But currently no dashed lines, sorry  ;D

...Once you pass the IC point you shouldn't get a waveoff for a deviation that falls into the "a little" category, i.e. "(LO) A Little Low", or "(HI) A Little High".  Since the cone has shrunk considerably by the time you get to the IC point, corrections for (LO) or (HI) are easily and safely done with small power adjustments...

Mike,
You can adjust the waveoff limits in the [Locus.GS] section of the vLSO.ini file:

[Locus.GS]
; The glideslope locus.
; This is a boundary which represents the locus of points in the vertical plane from which
; the aircraft will reach an on-glideslope condition at the ramp.
; Distances are measured in feet from the touchdown point.
;---    Dist  Up     Down
Pos.0 = 5200, 1.30, -1.60
Pos.1 = 2500, 0.75, -0.77
Pos.2 = 2200, 0.68, -0.72
Pos.3 = 2000, 0.66, -0.71
Pos.4 = 1600, 0.57, -0.60
Pos.5 =  600, 0.45, -0.55

Last two numbers are the glideslope deviations, up and down respectively. Generally, 'a little' area starts from 0.3 degree up to some 0.8 degree...
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »
Serge...

Cool, we will have to see what happens with a 27 kt WoD and starting the pass around 4000'. Hopefully, this will work to keep groove times closer to real world. One thing I always preach and may have overlooked here is that we are using a 4.0 glideslope. This might increase groove times, since it makes you higher... common sense and geometry would suggest that it takes longer to get to a certain point. Food for thought.

There it is, your [Locus.GS] parameters, that I didnt see in this last iteration of the vLSO .INI file. Can you send out the default [Locus.LU] as well? Thanks in advance and always appreciate the explanations and feedback.

Later
Sludge

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »
There it is, your [Locus.GS] parameters, that I didnt see in this last iteration of the vLSO .INI file. Can you send out the default [Locus.LU] as well? Thanks in advance and always appreciate the explanations and feedback.

Sludge,

If you are going to tweak those locus parameters further, will you please share them will all of us.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »
... Can you send out the default [Locus.LU] as well?

[Locus.LU]
; The lineup locus.
; This is a boundary which represents the locus of points in the horizontal plane from which
; the aircraft will reach a lined-up condition at the ramp.
; Distances are measured in feet from the touchdown point.
;---    Dist  Right  Left
Pos.0 = 3100, 3.50, -3.50
Pos.1 = 1500, 2.50, -2.50
Pos.2 =  600, 1.50, -1.50

Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »
Serge...

Much thanks. Just got into work for the day, so I'll incorporate those when I get back and get time.

Mickey...

No problem, when I do some testing, I'll give you the numbers I used and how they worked.

Later
Sludge

Jonathan livingston

« Reply #339 on: April 07, 2012, 06:51:23 pm »
I use vLSO and it works very well with my F18 (VRS).
I also practice aerial refuelling with this aircraft, FS recorder and KC135 (fixed drogue). I wonder if a kind of program like vLSO doesn't exist for aerial refuelling.
That would be really cool. I think the team who developped vLSO should be able to realise an addon for aerial refuelling : lead the pilote till the connexion with voices, a log, a debrief, some statistics, ...

Anyways. Thanks for vLSO.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #340 on: April 07, 2012, 07:31:03 pm »

I also practice aerial refuelling with this aircraft, FS recorder and KC135 (fixed drogue). I wonder if a kind of program like vLSO doesn't exist for aerial refuelling.

Livingstone,

I had seen your post on VRS forums. Based on your suggestion out there, I started a separate thread with just this request (conveyed on your behalf).

You can find the thread at ]http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6374.0#new]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:32:34 pm by Mickey_Techy »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #341 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49:43 pm »
Fellas...

I think the team who developped vLSO should be able to realise an addon for aerial refuelling.

I can't speak for Serge, but please... one thing at a time. There is NO TEAM, its Serge doing this BY HIMSELF and the rest of us give him feedback and inputs. Not saying your idea doesn't have merit but keep in mind that this is still in BETA form and its ONE GUY doing the developing.

I'd advise keeping your idea on the backburner 'til the vLSO is it's FULL RELEASE form, then bring it up again when Serge can decide if he wants to do it.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:53:08 am by Sludge »

SUBS17

« Reply #342 on: April 08, 2012, 08:05:47 am »
VRS Tacpac is going to have a tanker call feature which will allow you to place one anywhere aside that you just have to use FS Recorder or an AI Flight plan.

Jonathan livingston

« Reply #343 on: April 08, 2012, 09:24:41 am »
VRS Tacpac is going to have a tanker call feature which will allow you to place one anywhere aside that you just have to use FS Recorder or an AI Flight plan.

That must be almost what i do currently with the bug and it works fine. Thanks for the info and good news. That means that we'll found the feature with Tacpac.

Razgriz

« Reply #344 on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:39 am »

TacPack isn't out yet?

...lol?