Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 820505 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #315 on: March 26, 2012, 06:51:12 am »
Tregarth,

A while ago you said you were working on a version of vLSO for El Centro and Coupeville; can you please tell me if you have finished them or what has happened to them?

There will be support for FCLP, be sure, and I hope it won't be limited to the above mentioned locations.  :)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SUBS17

« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2012, 01:30:18 am »
v0.6b works good on my PC nice work FSXNAVYPILOT.

tgiesige

« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:44 am »
Well, here is what I am getting with VLSO flying the VRS Superbug FA-18E. I recieve transmissions from LSO when approaching the carrier, and upon calling the ball, the LSO is always calling me high with the wave-off. Even the debrief shows me high. But if I follow the lSO commands and stay lower, it puts me below the deck just so he don't call me high at which there is no way I can land. I'll run into the back of the carrier way below deck every time. Is there a parameter I am needing tweaked, or is it just me? :'(
Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:04 am »
Oh my..  :o
A few questions, please?
- What carrier are you attempting to land on?
- Any changes to the vLSO.ini file, like adding a custom SH definition to the Aircraft.* section?
- May I have a copy of your Logbook.dat file (via email)?

Thanks

tgiesige

« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »
Using the carrier, CVN 68-69 nimitz by Jav, have not altered anything in VLSO. Yes I could send ya my log book if you point me as to how!

tgiesige

« Reply #320 on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:54 am »

tgiesige

« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:51 am »
Think I figured out the problem. Had to toggle key command mode in the bug so I could reset altitude. I was showing deck height of 200ft. Now I display correct deck height at 60ft.
LMAO, now getting called too Low, Ha go figure! Been telling me to high all this time because of my mistake. Now like re-learn all over ! Great program, and some what tough !

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2012, 04:26:19 am »
Cool!  ;D
BTW, both your approaches were in fact too low as the waveoff lights were flashing, which means you're well below the glidepath.

Victory103

« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2012, 12:05:35 pm »
"Right for lineup". If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Jonathan livingston

« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtL9oSxVAVU&list=UUxlmGXU_dRI_81oJuyVC97g&index=1&feature=plcp
Two short approach's showing VLSO callouts

It seems to me that the waveoff is caused by the lineup (too left). I suggest to look at your debrief and use ILS.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:41:02 pm by Jonathan livingston »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #325 on: March 29, 2012, 04:32:32 am »
No, the waveoff lights on FSX carriers are triggered only if you're beyond the limits of the 4.0 glidepath (too high or too low). No lineup deviations whatsoever. It's a feature of FSX FLOLS, not a bug  ;D

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #326 on: March 31, 2012, 07:50:57 am »
Serge...

I would recommend making "groove time" start approx. 3500' regardless of ball call range, IF the ball call has been made beforehand. I would also re-designate your LSO debrief page to have a BR (Ball Request; case I/II/III) as the starting (rightmost) designation at 5000' vice 5200'. This will coincide with the 0.8 TCN that the IFLOLS flashes for Case I. Then have the pilot "ball call" (auto) at 4400', as this gives the pilot time to respond. Then the LSO responds at 3900', finishing at 3500', and thats when the pass starts (X) when grading is based upon.

** Notice on my pic: I flew a really solid pass and only got a fair. If I fly the same pass and the ball call is made closer to the BC area, I get an OK.

This is the real world video I'm basing this on... and I've flown the numbers and they seem to work well for ball call and groove time.
(the LSO finishes w/"roger ball, hornet, 38 knots port" at 3:27 and the Hornet hits the deck at 3:45 for an 18 sec approach... which conforms to most videos I've seen.)

Whether we are missing some real world piece of the puzzle to make FSX match the real world "groove time", I think this is a good FSX fix 'til we have an exact answer.

Also, what distance do you have setup for proper abeam? I keep getting "too close abeam" when I'm at 1.3 TCN on JRs "Realistic HUD". Now, I remember you said we shouldnt use that, but if we don't, what do we use in FSX? Only the VRS SuperBug can use the "HSI wingtip on the boat at 10 NM expansion" method... we (Sludge fliers, Combat Hornet, JR/Printz HUD users) have to rely on the HUD TCN, so what TCN distance will get us at the right distance abeam?

Later
Sludge

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:07:48 am by Sludge »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #327 on: March 31, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »
Serge...

Since I got a good night's rest, I'm revising my request. Instead of always starting the groove at 3500', I'd say start the "groove time" counter once the pilot has rolls wings level within 5-10 deg of final bearing IF they have already called the ball (manual or auto). I'll fly some passes and find out what HUD TCNs correllate (for FSX fliers) and their approximate display on your debrief screen in feet (so you can build a window). Tonight, I'll fly passes, saving an FSX screen shot and the accompanied vLSO debrief window for each pass. Then we can work out a "groove time" 15-19 secs that will ALLOW for the user to get an OK pass if they roll wings level onto final bearing in that 15-19 sec window.

Once that "groove window" gets figured out, I'm guessing you'll need to revise your debrief window to read some like this:
600' - AR; 1500' - IC; 2300' - IM; 3100'-3600' - X; 4000' - BC; 5000' - BR
And instead of a solid lines for the start, use dashed lines. This would make the start variable, a window, as it should be for each pass.

Here's another video that adds to what I'm saying:
(you see just after 5000', Paddles gives a BR (ball request)... pilot answers at 4000' and LSO final reply finishes at 34-3300'.. and thats and 0:10 secs... he hits the ramp at 0:27)

(granted this video and the video I used before are CASE III approaches, but they show when the LSO goes out for a BR, when the pilot responds, LSO final reply and the start of grading. So transposing, Case I, ZIP LIP, the vLSO BC should be around 4400' and the grading should start ["roger, ball"] when the pilot rolls wings level and approximately on final bearing.)

I'd also add, if you don't already have it (I think you do)... if the pilot rolls wings level onto final bearing and doesnt have a ball (too high/too low to be visible), they get a "waveoff, pattern". As well, once all this "groove time" stuff is worked out, you can add "waveoff, pattern" (Case I) if the pilot doesnt roll wings level inside that "groove window".

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:43:05 pm by Sludge »

MikeB54

« Reply #328 on: April 01, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »
There is one thing I would like to see incorporated in the program.  This is something that Chris mentioned to me when he flew with vLSO.  Once you pass the IC point you shouldn't get a waveoff for a deviation that falls into the "a little" category, i.e. "(LO) A Little Low", or "(HI) A Little High".  Since the cone has shrunk considerably by the time you get to the IC point, corrections for (LO) or (HI) are easily and safely done with small power adjustments.  The attached image is a perfect example.

Mike

tgiesige

« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2012, 12:04:20 am »
Well, here is some more short clips flying VRS Super Hornet using the latest VLSO link "FSXNavyPilot". Not working well with the Bug, Now the exact opposite, getting called high when in fact right on the glide slope and in the groove as per debrief window. Constant "Don't Settle" from LSO ! Why? Is there some sort of parameters that needs to be tweaked by me in order to get the call right? watch the altimeter in the HUD on the approaches as you can see I am on the glide slope but getting called high.
I would really like to get this to work with the VRS Superbug. I am also using auto throttle control on approaches. At any rate not sure how to tweak or what to do to the configuration settings file.  ??? Thanks for your time, I am such a tard at times LOL.
VC97g&index=1&feature=plcp