Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 814561 times)

GOONIE

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2011, 03:00:43 pm »
Serge,

That is great! In addition to the trend slide shown in the APARTS PDF for scores, I was thinking of a vertical and lateral trend graph like the picture attached below for glideslope trends (fictional data).

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »
Ok, the beta 0.3 is ready, see the top of the thread http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.msg45464#msg45464

Just briefly some new features:

New locus descriptions
The lineup locus (Locus.LU)
Variable number of locus ranges allowed
A commandline option auto for auto termination when FSX quits
Custom aircraft support
VRS SH fuel quantity issue fixed

Happy landings!  8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:03:39 pm by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

ExNusquam

« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2011, 07:59:58 am »
I've been using vLSO over the past few weeks, and It's rather awesome. Really adds to the sense of realism.

The only change I can think of would be to change the call from "A little low" to "Little power". The scant few videos with LSO chatter in them seem to use directive calls more than advisory ones.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2011, 04:53:57 am »
Joeairplane79,

These are actually two different calls. According to NAVAIR 00-80T-104, the You’re (a little) low call is informative, it means that Aircraft is (slightly) below optimum glide-slope and is used to inform pilots of existing situations. The A little power call is imperative, it means that Aircraft is decelerating or settling and is used to direct the pilot to execute a specific control action...

GOONIE

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »
Thanks, Serge for the latest release!  ;D

I looked at the PDF, but still had a couple questions:

Is the "Groove Time" assessment working better in beta 0.3?
Are any vLSO notes added to LSO Logbook for abeam performace (too wide/ too close/ high / low)?
Are any vLSO notes added to the LSO Logbook for Smoking Hot Break?
Finally, I noticed in the PDF, you show the points awarded for various scores (OK = 4 points, etc), do you plan to implement a score card or running average in the vLSO to see if you are above the required 3.0?

Also, does anyone know the correct values for the A-6E Intruder (Razbam)
[Aircraft.1]
ATC_model=A6
Modex=Intruder
Name=A-6E Intruder
Slow=8.2?
Fast=6.2?
AbeamClose=1.0?
AbeamWide=1.25?

-CAPT
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:52:37 pm by capthaltli »

K6952

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2011, 01:01:17 am »
Uh-oh...

I'm getting an error message.

First I get a Range Check Error in a dialog box.
 Then it says
Access Violation at address 0047E1F3 read of address 00000008.
Access Violation at address 004AD208 read of address 00000008.

After that, it comes up, but no pics, log entries and doesn't work.
 I can't close it. It just keeps repeating the same errors.

-Rabbit

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2011, 03:17:11 am »
Capt,

Is the "Groove Time" assessment working better in beta 0.3? - I hope so, the timer starts as soon as your wings are level
Are any vLSO notes added to LSO Logbook for abeam performace (too wide/ too close/ high / low)? - not yet
Are any vLSO notes added to the LSO Logbook for Smoking Hot Break? - not yet
Finally, I noticed in the PDF, you show the points awarded for various scores (OK = 4 points, etc), do you plan to implement a score card or running average in the vLSO to see if you are above the required 3.0? - yes I do, this will be used for trend analysis etc.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2011, 03:19:35 am »
I'm getting an error message.

Access Violation at address 0047E1F3 read of address 00000008.
Access Violation at address 004AD208 read of address 00000008.

This version is not compatible with any previous, so you have to remove the Logbook.dat file. Sorry for the inconvenience...

GOONIE

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »
Thanks, Serge.

The groove time is working better but need to test it out more. Will look forward to the other additions I mentioned. I think the groove time, break, and abeam position/distance could eventually be used for doing a complete vLSO assessment.

One thing I noticed which might need to be tweaked is the OK3 scoring criteria. I noticed you implemented the _OK3_ since I got two of them last night; however, on both of the approaches I had minor errors on speed and g/s which were in the LSO logbook. I think this score should be reserved for only those approaches where no parameters are flagged in the LSO logbook entry, besides just an OK three wire, what do you think?

I like when you catch a three wire (and get the OK3) the LSO in FSX says something like "very nice" or "great job" it is hard to hear, but I did notice it.  8)

Also, is there a way to make the OK3 score in the vLSO completely underlined like OK3, not just underlines to the left and right of the _OK3_ ?

CAPT
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:20:05 pm by capthaltli »

candy

« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2011, 10:30:41 pm »
After launching vLSO the abeam call only sound off once and never again till you re-launch the program

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2011, 04:31:47 am »
One thing I noticed which might need to be tweaked is the OK3 scoring criteria. I noticed you implemented the _OK3_ since I got two of them last night; however, on both of the approaches I had minor errors on speed and g/s which were in the LSO logbook. I think this score should be reserved for only those approaches where no parameters are flagged in the LSO logbook entry, besides just an OK three wire, what do you think?
Yes, the scoring system currently is just basic and primitive and really needs to be tweaked. I will concentrate on this in the next betas.

Quote from: capthaltli
I like when you catch a three wire (and get the OK3) the LSO in FSX says something like "very nice" or "great job" it is hard to hear, but I did notice it.  8)
The vLSO says something like that, too. Didn't you hear it?  ;)

Quote from: capthaltli
Also, is there a way to make the OK3 score in the vLSO completely underlined like OK3, not just underlines to the left and right of the _OK3_ ?
Yes, it's easy. Fixed in beta 0.4

Quote from: candy
After launching vLSO the abeam call only sound off once and never again till you re-launch the program
Oops... That's my fault. Fixed in beta 0.4  :)

GOONIE

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:20 pm »
The vLSO says something like that, too. Didn't you hear it?  ;)

Just got it, "beauty" for an OK3

-CAPT

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »
CAPT...

Got that "beauty" for an OK, 3 pass last night. I usually fly at Fleet level but havent tried CAG level yet. Thatll wait for a few nights this weekend.

Serge...

I'm having problems with the Abeam distance call, still get "TOO CLOSE ABEAM" at 1.3 NM on the HUD. I'll try to get more passes, and give you a more comprehensive data set to work with. Obviously flying the Sludge, and doing the standard pattern. Not sure why I'm getting that but I do have a request for the next release. Can you make all the aircraft parameters (name/type/call abeam and [locus] info) selectable like you do with the "custom aircraft"? That way we can customize it.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »
I'm having problems with the Abeam distance call, still get "TOO CLOSE ABEAM" at 1.3 NM on the HUD.

Sludge,
Remember this discussion http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3093.msg30177#msg30177? Look how this work with the vLSO...
The HUD shows the slant distance from your aircraft to the TACAN antenna, located at 205' AMSL. The vLSO computes the horizontal distance from the glideslope origin. Because of that this origin is some 280' afore, the slant distance between these reference points is about 350' (that's just for your information).

So, if you are at 1.24 nm abeam the GS origin (i.e. TCA for the Hornet), it will give us 7534' of horiz distance. However if your altitude at this position is 600', this equals to 7717' of slant distance, which is 1.27 nm, or 1.3 TCN on the HUD. And the higher altitude, the longer the slant distance...

Finally, the slant distance for 1.25 nm abeam at 600' AMSL should be 7777', or 1.28 nm, which is the same 1.3 TCN on the HUD. Bummer!...  ;D
That's why you shouldn't rely solely on TCN readings when flying abeam.

FYI. The HUD rounds TCN distances this way: 1.20 is 1.2, but 1.21 is 1.3 and 1.29 is 1.3 too....
Hope this helps...  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:56:10 pm by fsxnavypilot »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »
Serge...

Remember this discussion http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3093.msg30177#msg30177? Look how this work with the vLSO...

O yeah, I remember that discussion and I see what you're saying.

Finally, the slant distance for 1.25 nm abeam at 600' AMSL should be 7777', or 1.28 nm, which is the same 1.3 TCN on the HUD.
Bummer!...  That's why you shouldn't rely solely on TCN readings when flying abeam.

So I think we can just use 1.4 NM? The reason I'm asking is that what else do we use? We dont have an HSI readout (HSI w/TCN filter set @ 10 NM range setting;left wing of AC symbol on the carrier TCN) to help us get the correct starting abeam. I'm guessing 1.4 HUD TCN will be a good starting point and then go from there.

As JJ says: these are "training wheel" numbers. For me, these will help us non-real world naval aviator wannabe's get a good starting abeam position, so we can see the correct outside visuals (at the 90, crossing wake at 45; in FSX) that will let us fly good patterns once we get the feel of it.

Later
Sludge