Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 814539 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2011, 04:00:17 am »
...  I've installed "carriertracks1and2", which have several compiled traffic .bgl files.  Two files of interest are: trafficNASeast.bgl and trafficNASeast2.bgl ...
Ok, I'll d/l this pack and see how my program handles these traffic carriers. Will report ASAP  :)

Edit.
Looks like you are using Javier's Nimitz_Ike_version2 carriers pack, right?  ;) Well, the program currently 'knows' only CVN68 carrier, whereas your traffic .BGLs use both CVN68 and CVN69. When starting the Pensacola saved flight, for example, take a look at the superstructure and you will see the number 69. That's why my program doesn't work with this carrier. The beta 0.3 will work with both CVN68 and CVN69 carriers.
BTW, the well known AICarriers2 utility allows you to use in free flight other Nimitz-class carriers, namely CVN71, 72, 73 and 76. They are all variations of the Acceleration carrier, not Javier's. Should I add support for these too?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:38:13 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SandPro

• FSXCarrierOps
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2011, 04:29:17 am »
Thanks for the info.  Yes, the file structures are correct.

I know there is a separate Simconnect build tool that uses Visual Studio 2005 or Visual C++. I assume that is how you are making that connection.

That leaves me a little confused on trying to isolate the issue, due to the fact that in the case of AICarrier2... the program uses the simconnect function provided via JAVA. As an example...If, you try to run AiCarrier2 without FSX running.... you will get about 9 Java errors... ie.. java.net.blindException:Cannot assign reqested address:connect and flightsim.simconnect.SimConnect.openNetworkConnection(simConnect.java:283), etc.
That is why I was questioning a possible Java conflict ?

WilliamCall

« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:07 am »

[/quote]
Looks like you are using Javier's Nimitz_Ike_version2 carriers pack, right?  ;) Well, the program currently 'knows' only CVN68 carrier, whereas your traffic .BGLs use both CVN68 and CVN69. When starting the Pensacola saved flight, for example, take a look at the superstructure and you will see the number 69. That's why my program doesn't work with this carrier. The beta 0.3 will work with both CVN68 and CVN69 carriers.
BTW, the well known AICarriers2 utility allows you to use in free flight other Nimitz-class carriers, namely CVN71, 72, 73 and 76. They are all variations of the Acceleration carrier, not Javier's. Should I add support for these too?
[/quote]

Serge,
Thanks so much for looking into this!  Yes, when I start my flights from Oceana, Pensacola, or Key West and land on the carrier, the carrier is indeed the USS Eisenhower (CVN69).  If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see support for CVN71, 72, 73, and 76.  Thanks again!

K6952

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:34 am »
Serge,

Thanks for your detailed input!

Oh, no. Thank *you* for all your hard work!

How do you autostart the vLSO? In a .CMD file or what?

It's an XML file called "Exe.Xml". I don't really understand how all that works, but the computer geek who walked me through it says it's detailed in the SDK.

Right now the abeam altitude is limited by 800'. I agree that this is probably incorrect, but what the upper margin should be? 650' or even more? And, what should be the vLSO's reaction when you fly above that level?..

I would say +/- 100' is easily doable by most pilots if they're paying attention to their scan. Generally the LSO will inform the pilot if he's a little off at the abeam if the pattern's not loaded. "Bullets 203 paddles contact, slightly high and close aboard", that sorta thing.

No problem, what parameters?

I would say any parameters that would be useful to tweak for different aircraft (AoA, abeam distance, eye-to-hook, etc), but others have suggested that *all* variables should be external to the .exe in order to make it more adaptable.

FWIW, I have another idea for the OK trigger: If you get an OK 3 pass with absolutely no additional comments, it upgrades it to OK 3.

Orion

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2011, 07:41:38 am »
It's an XML file called "Exe.Xml". I don't really understand how all that works, but the computer geek who walked me through it says it's detailed in the SDK.
Actually, it's not detailed in the SDK at all (that I recall, anyways).  Fortunately, it's not hard to understand, either.  Whatever you put in a Launch.Addon node (with its appropriate sub-nodes) gets launched when FSX is loading.  Simple as that.

K6952

« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
Actually, it's not detailed in the SDK at all (that I recall, anyways).  Fortunately, it's not hard to understand, either.  Whatever you put in a Launch.Addon node (with its appropriate sub-nodes) gets launched when FSX is loading.  Simple as that.

Thanks for the clarification. The problem here is that doing this successfully launches vLSO, but the sound doesn't work.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:08 pm »
That's because the vLSO can't find its Sound folder. By default the program tries to open the Sound folder in its current folder. In case you launch it via Exe.xml, the current folder is FSX main folder, not the folder where the vLSO is. This will be fixed it the 0.3 beta and the vLSO will no more depend on it.
BTW, the SDK does detail Exe.xml. You can find it here SDK/Core Utilities Kit/SimConnect SDK/SimConnect.htm#TheEXExmlandDLLxmlfiles

Orion

« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2011, 06:28:06 pm »
Ah, thanks Serge.  I've got some reading to do. ;D

And on a side note, by default the exe.xml uses paths relative to FSX, but you can use absolute file paths too.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2011, 03:41:03 am »
Yep, it works  :) Perhaps I'll add a commandline option like /auto or something, so that when FSX quits the vLSO will terminate too.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
Fellas...

Wont take away from this thread's content by posting the video here, but look at the Cool Videos thread, where I'm gonna post VFA-2's cruise video. It shows how much the guy is working the stick and throttles during a pass... almost unreal.

Later
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2011, 08:16:11 am »
Serge,
Did you see my earlier post on the "smoking hot break" trigger, and OK score? Just curious what you thought.

I have had similar discrepancies to those K6952 posted, with wires not being recorded in vLSO after trapping and bolters being counted as traps (this has happened only a few times).

I noticed that the vLSO comes to life (audio) when you watch your approaches from the LSO platform in FSX, very cool!  ;)

Thanks again for all your efforts on this amazing program
-CAPT

FSXNAVYPILOT is now officially a LEGEND.

Caleb

« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2011, 04:44:00 am »
Look forward to using!

davidbuderim

« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2011, 05:41:27 am »
I've just finished my first 50 passes since getting vLSO a few days ago. What a magnificent piece of kit. Many thanks.
I could land the VRS superbug OK before this but it was way too fast. And who knew where I was on glideslope and line up.
Looking forward to the next 50 passes and less wave offs!!

GOONIE

« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:16 pm »
Serge,

Just thought of a good addition to the vLSO. Trend Analysis!

One of the jobs of an LSO, and the reason they are there is to spot and correct bad trends. Right now with the vLSO we have to look at each approach debrief individually (to see our lateral and vertical/speed performance). What if you added a button to the main vLSO that would show every approach in the logbook.dat file on one graph at the same time, so you could see good and bad trends in your glideslope (e.g. you always are little low in the middle) or lateral performance overtime.

What do you and others think?

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10:14 am »
Capt,
No objections, because it is already in my 'to do' list  :) A couple of months ago Spaz has sent me this APARTS PDF http://www.faa.gov/library/online_libraries/aerospace_medicine/sd/media/brictson.pdf... See page 3, I think this idea could be well developed and implemented in the vLSO.