Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 820184 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2011, 02:18:32 pm »
K6952, attached is my reading of the second F-4B Phantom NATOPS 'Approach Airspeed' Chart which I take as showing the 'Optimum Angle of Attack' Airspeed for a given landing weight. However the AoA Indexer should show the correct indication with this chart being only a cross reference check airspeed (not used for approach). Chart shows Approach Weight of 30,400lbs giving an ideal Approach KIAS of 130 knots (Optimum Angle of Attack - Approach Indexer Indication). [Red Vertical & Horizontal lines]

The NATOPS Carrier Circuit Diagram shows Approach Weight of 31,000 lbs giving an ideal approach airspeed of 132 Knots. [Purple Vertical & Horizontal lines]

Next is text straight out of RF-4B NATOPS (same as in the two NATOPS PDF extracts available on this thread). I'll look for more information tomorrow.

"...LANDING TECHNIQUE [FCLP] (NATOPS RF-4B)
For a normal field landing with a gross weight of approximately 31,000 pounds, fly the pattern as illustrated in figure 3-4, Enter the pattern as local course rules dictate, utilizing the throttles and speed brakes, as necessary, to maintain pattern altitude and airspeed. At the break, reduce thrust and extend the speed brakes (if required), As the airspeed decreases through 250 knots lAS, lower the landing gear and extend the wing flaps. Retract the speed brakes to decrease buffet, however, some buffet and noise will come from the nose wheel well as the landing gear extends. This noise and buffet will disappear as approach speeds are reached, Continue to decelerate to, and maintain, 150 Knots IAS. After the gear and flaps have been checked and reported, roll into the base leg and establish a mild rate of descent, maintaining an "on speed" angle of attack indexer light (140 to 150 knots lAS). Use the angle-of-attack indexer and maintain the "ON speed" indication except that 125 knots will be the minimum final approach speed, When on final approach, utilize a power setting of 84 to 86% rpm, This will provide an "on speed" angle of attack indexer light with a 2 1/2° to 30 glide slope and a rate of descent of approximately 700 fpm. Attempt to land within the first 1000 feet of runway whenever possible, however, do not chop power prior to crossing the end of the runway. The sudden loss of boundary layer control air will cause the airplane to settle immediately. At touchdown, retard the throttles to IDLE and deploy the drag chute,..."

...CARRIER LANDING PATTERN
The carrier pattern (figure 3-6) starts with the break at 600 feet, 250-300 knots IAS maximum on the starboard bow of the ship. The break interval will be one-half of the desired ramp interval time. Radio procedures will be in accordance with ship procedures. Fly the pattern at 600 feet above mean sea level. The 180 turn is commenced when abeam the LSO platform, On rollout to final, slightly overshoot the ships wake.

GLIDE SLOPE
The technique of flying the glide slope is the same as FCLP except that more power may be required and line-up will be much harder to maintain. With rough seas and subsequent pitching decks, some erratic meatball movements may be encountered. If this is the case, average out the "bouncing ball" to maintain a smooth and safe rate of descent. In no case overcorrect if the ball moves to a high indication...."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:39:03 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

K6952

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »
Spaz,
 Yeah, I hear ya... but as I said the IRIS Phantom doesn't fly like an actual Phantom. I'll have to work out the numbers for what has been modeled rather than the actual aircraft.

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
K6952, I hear you also but cannot comment on what you suggest, as I do not have the IRIS Phantom nor will I have it. Is there a trialware version?

The NATOPS specs are more for general interest and especially for fsxnp work on the vLSO parameters. fsxnp has to have some kind of baseline to work with I gather.

Letourn

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2011, 12:02:53 am »
Spaz,

you can find the Virtavia freeware 3 packs at flightsim

Not sure about the Iris just saw some texture only

texxasal

• CVW-2.ORG
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2011, 12:22:39 am »
I have a question regarding the abeam and ball calls. I am flying the VRS F/A-18E Superbug which seems to cause an erroneous display of fuel weight during those calls. I have attached 4 different images of various parts of a session I just ran using vLSO 0.2b with Javier's Nimitz and the "bug".

I believe the fuel quantities that FSX "thinks" it has are different from those actually in the Superbug, but perhaps the VRS guys can better explain. I know we can't "fuel" the aircraft from the FSX option, but must use the fueling capabilities of the "bug" (either ACM, Tanking, or SHF+F).

Could this erroneous fuel input into the vLSO cause him to give what seem to be "a little off" with his speed calls?  Just wondering.

This software is great, and I don't mean to "nit pick".

Thanks for all your efforts

SpazSinbad

« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:07 am »

GOONIE

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2011, 02:01:38 am »
Looking forward to the Greenie Board!

CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Letourn

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2011, 02:07:11 am »
spaz if you are using FSX i suggest to go to flightsim.com do search file "phantom Chicilo" you will find tree packs update for fsx then run another search for "phantom Bodenstedt" for some fix files.

There is also some gauges update here
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=4466&catid=117
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=4486&catid=117

to tell you the truth its been awhile since i install that F-4 but i do remember installing the three pack fist then some gauges fixe after that.

Letourn

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2011, 02:10:42 am »
CAPT you cheated right? ;)

Now its sure that i will never post one of my pattern here.

Great flying CAPT

K6952

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:26 am »

CAPT

Holy crap! O_o

SpazSinbad

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2011, 04:47:18 am »
Thanks again for Phantom for FSX info Letourn. Not sure if I'll have time to check it out though. Others may find them useful however.

IMHO from long experience with all 'supposedly' Naval aircraft until FSX came along with the Hornet - these older aircraft were not worth much in that regard. The SLUDGE (with various helpers) Hornet fix and the T-45C from Dino Cattaneo + HUD helpesr are terrific, with all the improvements made in FSX by various people all posting here. Of course there may be other 'naval' payware/freeware FSX aircraft by now but I'm very happy with the two mentioned. Many thanks to all concerned again as well as to 'fsxnp' and the 'terrifying' Mission 5 FCLP!  ;D ::)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2011, 05:59:04 am »
CAPT...

CAPT

You are ready to snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper. :D Haha. Seriously, great pass. ;D I see that you are still in the low 20s for groove time but I've given up on that, as I'm still working (and succeeding, thanks much to our in-house genius Serge) of re-writing the XMLs.

Once I get that and a few other things done for the Sludge v1.2 Delta, I'll start working patterns feverishly again to try to figure out the disconnect between REAL WORLD and FSX in this regard. I'll let you know as soon as I figure something out.

Later
Sludge

K6952

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2011, 01:19:44 pm »
CAPT...

CAPT

You are ready to snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper. :D Haha. Seriously, great pass. ;D I see that you are still in the low 20s for groove time but I've given up on that, as I'm still working (and succeeding, thanks much to our in-house genius Serge) of re-writing the XMLs.

Once I get that and a few other things done for the Sludge v1.2 Delta, I'll start working patterns feverishly again to try to figure out the disconnect between REAL WORLD and FSX in this regard. I'll let you know as soon as I figure something out.

Later
Sludge

That was the other thing I wanted to mention. Time in the groove doesn't actually start at the ball call, but rather when the aircraft is within lineup limits and wings level.

GOONIE

« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2011, 05:46:23 pm »
Serge,

I thought of a cool trigger for your "very nice" sound file (.wav), it would trigger for a smoking hot CV break. What do you and others think about adding a voice trigger to the vLSO, similar to the abeam trigger "paddles copies" .wav, that would trigger when flying over the carrier at 800ft agl (+- 50ft) at 300KTS or greater (or should it be faster)? Maybe also add a note to the LSO debrief line, for SHB  ;) Two videos of smoking hot CV breaks!  8)

Also, I know OK are typically reserved for emergencies, but do you think you could add criteria to the vLSO to make getting this grade possible if the approach is flown almost perfectly? Not sure what that means, but my first guess would be -+0.1 deg G/S and lateral tracking on speed entire approach.

CAPT

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:14:40 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

K6952

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2011, 12:47:43 am »
Not sure why, but the Alpha A-3 Skywarrior still works.
OMG... Does it really work with the 0.2 beta???? Could you tell me what's the value of its atc_model parameter under [General] section of its Aircraft.cfg, please?

Nothing listed there for ATC_ID or Model. That's probably why it still works.
 After reviewing the list of aircraft that I had in mind, it's probably a better idea to add a function that allows the user to make new profiles rather than trying to work them all out myself.