Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 820102 times)

GOONIE

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 10:36:25 pm »
Sludge,
My groove times with correct ball call (manual) distance of 3/4 of a mile are ~23 seconds. I have had groove times in the 13 second range but realized this is due to manually calling the ball inside of 3/4 of a mile, more towards the IM range. We may have to adjust either the aircraft carrier speed (decel) or reduce winds to get a faster ground speed and groove time, what do you think?

-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 12:46:36 am »
CAPT...

Yeah, I just dont know what will cut it. I'll re-try some passes at 25 kts WoD, but my last passes were low-20's and the WoD was 25 kts (15 kts ship/10 kts wind down the angle). So I just dont know where the disconnect is...

I'll try some "creative" things to see if we can get WoD at 20 kts total, and then see what happens.

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 03:02:49 am »

has ANYONE been able to get the NATOPS 15-18 sec groove time?

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

My best is around 17sec in the groove, but with WoD=0. All my other passes with WoD>0 are around 22sec.

Johan

SUBS17

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 05:23:43 am »
Is it possible for the LSO to have a specific radio freq and for the LSO chatter to be overheard in MP on radio. And another idea is for a carrier ATC to request landing prior to approach. What is the procedure etc for an approaching aircraft to join the pattern and make an approach?

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 05:31:05 am »
"Charlie Time - Assigned time for carrier aircraft to land, generally meant as the time that an aircraft crosses the RAMP. "Your Signal Charlie" means 'commence approach immediately, and land upon arrival.'"

http://www.hazegray.org/faq/slang1.htm

Carrier/Land briefing will nominate a 'Charlie' time if otherwise the brief states going to carrier perhaps for CarQual when making contact the Carrier might clear aircraft into the day pattern for example.

The carrier will like only to be steaming into wind for the shortest time possible with a ready deck. Being late is reason for a good talking to from the CAG (Air Boss).

Instrument/Night approaches will have aircraft in a stack waiting to be streamed onboard under control.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 05:31:33 am »
SUBS...

Seriously. You trying to give Serge an aneurism? Now you are in big-time Christmas-wishlist land. Let the man fix the basic problems first.

Johan...

So with WoD total = 0, did you have a static carrier? IF so, that sucks, 'cause thats really confusing as to how we can get into the groove for 15-18 secs.

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:50 am »

Johan...

So with WoD total = 0, did you have a static carrier? IF so, that sucks, 'cause thats really confusing as to how we can get into the groove for 15-18 secs.

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

Yes, I did have a static carrier....which helped reduce the time in the groove...I understand the dilemma...
However, I have another pass with WoD=37knots in Serge's configuration where the carrier is moving (attached). I made 17.5 sec but the LSO was screaming at my speed, although he didn't give me a wave off.

Johan

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 08:57:00 am »
OK, so try to call it right as the HUD TCN changes to .7, that way its on the topside of the rounding and closer to your depicted BC zone?

Sludge, excuse me for my miscalculation...

0.70NM * 6076' = 4250' (not 4560' as I wrote)
0.75NM * 6076 = 4560' <--- This number is for .75NM

My auto ball call is set at .757, should I move it closer and set it exactly at .75? The difference is just ~43'..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:13:45 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »
Serge...

Thanks. And I think your existing BALL CALL distance is fine. I think I'm just being nit-picky. I'll fly some more tonight and let you know as I find out.

On CAPT's idea, I would agree, have the ACTIVE vLSO (opposed to the debriefing sheet AFTER the pass) speed calls be a little lenient. I would say base it more on the ALA assembly (as thats what I presume he sees and uses), so if the ALA goes RED, then he says "you're fast". Same for "you're slow". I think you get the meaning.

Later
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:04 pm »
SUBS...

Seriously. You trying to give Serge an aneurism? Now you are in big-time Christmas-wishlist land. Let the man fix the basic problems first.

Johan...

Later
Sludge

It was just a few ideas for later when and if someone feels like adding it and also I am curious on the procedure from launch to landing/pattern entry etc. This is quite an awesome mod I am amazed I landed the VRS SH yesterday very cool seeing the Rhino call.

SUBS17

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »
Okay, think I did this one a little better. :P

&hd=1

Edit: Apparently, for some reason, the vLSO didn't record the wire caught.  As shown in my video, I had the wire trap gauge running, and I got a 3 wire.  The main GUI of the vLSO says I got an OK, but the debrief screen says fair.

Edit 2: Yays~  Got an OK 3 from the vLSO! ;D  Not sure if I actually deserved it, though.  Didn't seem like that good of an approach.  See 2nd debrief screen and video:
&hd=1.

Edit 3: Does OK in parenthesis mean fair?  Anyways, spent way too much time on this for tonight...  I should really be getting some rest.

I'm making a video of the A-10C checkride which you might find interesting regarding this stuff. The BFT checkrides help pilots fly the aircraft the way its supposed to be flown. When the video is finished I'll post it so you can see but the point is if such missions are possible for FSX based on the real F/A-18A/E/T45 pilot check rides. You being the mission maker guru might be interested anyway.

cheers

Subs

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 10:14:59 pm »
Subs17 said: "...also I am curious on the procedure from launch to landing/pattern entry etc..."

Not certain what the question is about. Sludge has given detailed FSX Hornet Carrier Circuit explanations with details and FSX Videos. Otherwise there are plenty of NATOPS diagrams in threads. Is this what you are after?

GOONIE

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 11:32:34 pm »

On CAPT's idea, I would agree, have the ACTIVE vLSO (opposed to the debriefing sheet AFTER the pass) speed calls be a little lenient. I would say base it more on the ALA assembly (as thats what I presume he sees and uses), so if the ALA goes RED, then he says "you're fast". Same for "you're slow". I think you get the meaning.

Too add to this speed discussion, I think it would make sense to have the vLSO look for a duration of time the ALA goes red or green, before a call is made, or log is made in the vLSO book. What I mean is you would have to trend fast or slow for at least one or two seconds before you got a call "you're fast" or "you're slow", or got a grade as little fast or little slow. I thought the LSO is there to catch bad trends, not to give "sugar" calls for every little deviation (unless a nugget). So you might go fast or slow on AoA for a brief second when making corrections, but as long as you are not trending slow or fast, and get on speed (correct AoA) promptly you do not need input from the LSO. What do you think?

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SUBS17

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 12:10:59 am »
Subs17 said: "...also I am curious on the procedure from launch to landing/pattern entry etc..."

Not certain what the question is about. Sludge has given detailed FSX Hornet Carrier Circuit explanations with details and FSX Videos. Otherwise there are plenty of NATOPS diagrams in threads. Is this what you are after?

Immersive mission creation based on real life procedures, coms and check rides. I'll chek out the rest of that stuff when I get a chance.

cheers

Subs

SpazSinbad

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 02:06:32 am »
capthaltli makes a great suggestion about LSO radio calls it would seem. Nothing worse than an LSO 'gabbing' (talking) a lot. In fact their aim is to say as little as possible and for the pilot to obey 'WaveOff' calls without question - otherwise - the CHOP (disqualification).  ;D