Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 814746 times)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1380 on: July 08, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »
Well, you can PM Victory103, perhaps he could restore the Razbam settings?

If you succeed please let me know and I'll add the Razbam aircraft to vLSO.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

retnavycpo

« Reply #1381 on: July 08, 2016, 07:51:40 pm »
Thanks Paddles, will do..... ;D   Pete

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1382 on: July 08, 2016, 08:49:16 pm »
There are a LOT of NATOPS, for different aircraft, located here: https://publicintelligence.net/u-s-navy-f-18-natops-flight-manuals/. That's the F/A-18 page, but if you look a bit lower on the right hand side, the other stuff is listed.
I don't know if that's any help, but I've downloaded a number of NATOPS from there. Kinda handy, really.
Pat☺

retnavycpo

« Reply #1383 on: July 08, 2016, 08:58:48 pm »
Thanks.

I have been trying to add the Simworks Phantom to VLSO.  I do have a F-4B NATOPS.  Entered the information into the settings window, making sure I got the correct info needed from the aircraft.cfg file.  But am still getting the message at top of screen that the aircraft is not supported by VLSO.  Pete

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1384 on: July 11, 2016, 06:27:03 am »
Pete,
That's strange... vLSO reliably detects a custom aircraft provided it's properly configured.
By the way, what's the value of the [General] atc_model parameter of your F4?

retnavycpo

« Reply #1385 on: July 12, 2016, 08:52:06 pm »
Hey Paddles,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  I just got it to work!  Thanks to your post, asking what the ATC model was, I realized I had used the wrong value from the aircraft.cfg file.  Anyway, I successfully got it working.  That is the first aircraft I have added.  Now, if I can just find the info I need to add the Razbam Corsair II and Intruder, I will be content for now :)  Pete

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1386 on: August 05, 2016, 07:10:00 am »
Guys,
This here is a reprint of my recent post on my blog (in case if you can't visit it for some reason)

FSX carriers' inconsistencies

When working on the RFN gauge integration into the next vLSO version I've noticed certain inconsistencies in OLS-wires placement on different carriers, namely on the Acceleration and Javier's CVN68.OLS hereinafter means the Acceleration embedded FLOLS.
Well, I googled a blueprint of the Nimitz and then compared it against the two models:

First thing that you will notice is that the Acceleration model is smaller and loosely reminds the real ship, while Javier's carrier almost perfectly matches the blueprint, which seems to prove that his model is the most accurate. However, the most significant difference (not visible at first glance) is that Javier's OLS and crossdeck pendants are shifted to the stern. Also, you can notice different spacing between wires - the green crossdeck lines above show Acceleration wires and the OLS datum line, the yellow lines show Javier's ones.
This zoomed view displays these differences in more details:

Then I placed an airplane on the deck of these carriers in a position 'on glideslope' to see where it should touch the deck.

'On gideslope' ball as seen from the cockpit

The Acceleration - right on wire #4

Javier's - well past wire #4

Huge disappointment!

Is there a carrier with correct wires-OLS positions, one might ask? Yes, there is. The Team SDB CVN65 in configuration with the default FLOLS. The 'on-glideslope' position on this carrier matches wire #3:

Another comparison screenshot proves that. The green line corresponds to wire #3 of the Big-E.

So, what's the point? What all this means for us? Well, it means that even flying on the ball you shouldn't hope to catch wire #3 on existing Nimitz models. Otherwise you should intentionally fly low at the ramp...

As a workaround you can use the RFN gauge, but in this case you shouldn't take the OLS into account and fly RFN needles exclusively.

The Aerosoft CV63 Kitty Hawk utilizes a RFN gauge (with its inherent precision). You can see that when flying on the ball you should land right in front of wire #3:

Actually, this gauge is kinda MOVLAS, not FLOLS, and the ball corresponds to your position on the glideslope. The RFN gauge controls the ball the same way as a real LSO controls a MOVLAS.

Lion207

Re:
« Reply #1387 on: August 05, 2016, 04:26:17 pm »
Awesome research and explanation, Paddles. Amazing what a big difference a small detail like that can make.

-Matt

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

GOONIE

« Reply #1388 on: August 15, 2016, 03:08:29 pm »
Thanks Paddles, attention to detail always important.

Does this mean all of my (OK) 4 wires should have been OK 3 wires on Javier's carrier???  ;D

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1389 on: August 15, 2016, 08:05:34 pm »
Correctamundo!  8)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1390 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:34 pm »
I'm not able to check the above details in Fsim - this graphic below has been posted years ago now but I post it again - perhaps it will help.

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

ESzczesniak

« Reply #1391 on: September 04, 2016, 08:34:14 pm »
Given all this information about wire placement, H/E distance, and glideslope angles, I was wondering if anyone has had success setting up the RFN FLOLS on the Team SDB Enterprise in P3D v3?  They have a section in their manual detailing the edits, but when I try them for the Enterprise I see nothing on the FLOLS and it blocks out my ILS needles (using the same frequency).  I'd love to use the Big E for the better visual model (than Acceleration) and correct wire placement.  The AS Kittyhawk would be great too, but for some odd reason I can't see the all >0.4NM out (it literally pops on at this distance). 

If I could add the RFN gauge to the FLOLS like the manual discusses, this would be perfect!  Get the right wire placement with the Big E, and then account a more realistic GS and H/E distance adjustments with the RFN gauge.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1392 on: September 04, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »
On an off-note, if I may Paddles: Would it be possible to make a version of vLSO for WWII planes and carriers? The pattern was a bit different, with the long, sweeping, curved approach, and the LSO's waved their paddles (hence the origin of their nickname), to direct the pilots down, giving the cut or go around signs, and all that. All with just their bodies, none of the lights, radio nav-aids and other things that have improved their survival rate so much.
I was chatting with a friend on another forum, and this idea came up. I figured you would be the guy to ask :)
Pat☺

ESzczesniak

« Reply #1393 on: September 04, 2016, 11:31:30 pm »
I've been playing around with the RFN gauge in P3Dv3.  I've finally gotten the FLOLS to work with the Team SDB Enterprise (on the ship, not 2D cockpit).  However, using this seems to kill the ILS needles for the Aerosoft F-14X I've been trying to set it up to use.  I have it set to use NAV2, so I can tune NAV1 to the hard coded frequency the Aerosoft F-14X uses.  The TCN bearing/distance works, but not the ILS needles.  Does anyone who is more familiar with the RFN gauge know why, or can point me to an English language forum where they may be able to help more?  Thanks!

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1394 on: September 05, 2016, 06:58:09 am »
Yes, the Aerosoft F14 HUD has the following hardcoded frequencies to use with the default FLOLS:
109.00 - 27X Kitty Hawk
110.50 - 42X Enterprise
111.00 - 47X Acceleration
112.00 - 57X Nimitz
113.00 - 77X Clemenceau
113.10 - 78X Charles de Gaulle
Once tuned to a relevant frequency you can use the HUD ILS needles.

However, you can't use the RFN custom FLOLS and the F14 HUD at the same time, because they have not only different frequencies but, which is more important, they use different OLS geometry. Why not use the RFN ILS mode with its inherent precison? See the attached image - I'm a bit high and left