Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 821295 times)

GOONIE

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #870 on: January 20, 2014, 02:38:34 am »
Thanks Spaz, glad you liked the video. Your input is always valued

EDIT: Do you know what the story is with AC300 that traps at about 7:00 and then takes about 5 minutes to clear the LA?

My buddy said he just got wrapped up in the wire, needed a tow to help get him out. Said it is common. Stinks for all the guys who had to discontinue their approaches, one guy was pretty low on fuel, thought I heard 4.5.

What surprised me is how little is said by the LSOs, I guess the pilots are pretty good, they are over half way through cruise, and "sugar calls" are distracting.

Paddles, the ATC feature would also affect the LSO calls, attitude vs power for ATC vs manual respectfully. There is a decent amount of Auto calls in the plat cam footage I posted, so it could be added "roger ball auto", if vLSO detects ATC engaged.

Orion, is the VSI in feet per minute? Seems like the values are too high, I would expect to see 600-700 fpm for a 3.5 degree glideslope. Maybe they were running a higher g/s? Or my math is off.

I'll try to post more footage.

Goonie

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

« Reply #871 on: January 20, 2014, 03:16:46 am »
I don't know, but that's what I recall hearing from Sludge.  I thought the values were a bit high for feet per minute myself.  Before I heard from Sludge, I think J.R. might have said it has to do with wind speed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:20:19 am by Orion »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #872 on: January 20, 2014, 07:52:02 am »
The USN needs an "ASK Naval Aviation Questions" [which can be answered] web page!  ;D
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #873 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:08 am »
This is what I've found in Neutrino's PLAT_camera XML gauge for this value: 'ACLS time to touchdown'.
But looking closely at the video I'm thinking that this number is for something else, it's neither VSI nor time to touchdown. At the wires, when an aircraft has landed and decelerates, this number still reads 15 or something.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #874 on: January 20, 2014, 03:06:32 pm »
My buddy said he just got wrapped up in the wire

I didn't know that even happened.  Interesting to see it unfold.

Maybe they were running a higher g/s?

Even running at the max IFLOLS glideslope of 4.0 I don't think you would see descent rates of -1500FPM.  That's nearly a 6 degree descent I believe.

Pops

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #875 on: January 20, 2014, 09:11:44 pm »
Probably I have not viewed enough ILARTS / PLAT footage to take notice of the lower right corner number. My other guess would be WOD? Bearing in mind that wind over the sea can be variable to some extent but not turbulent as seen over land/obstacles/etc.

Next question: Does a CVN keep a constant speed during long night carrier ops (probably not worthwhile changing speed during breaks in day ops intervals) when flight ops start for example - or stop/starting - as we see in the video.

My assumption being that slowing the CVN can reduce the need for navigation changes later. Then CVN speeds up before aircraft is in the groove to have required minimum WOD (seen in first part of video - I think 10 which increases to 15 or thereabouts). Yes there is an ideal WOD however due sea conditions on this night the CVN may be slower but still within safe minimums?

Just spitballin' (guessing). Will be nice to know what that number is.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:14:06 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Victory103

« Reply #876 on: January 21, 2014, 05:00:24 am »
It's been well over 10 yrs since I've been on the boat, but I was always told the bottom numbers were from the ACLS feed. Trying to research it as well.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #877 on: January 22, 2014, 04:13:12 am »
Ok,
Here are my latest changes to the CQ definitions:

Undergraduate CQ
Pilot’s first day carrier qualifications prior to designation as a Naval Aviator.
14 day landings, 10 of which shall be arrested.

Initial CQ
Pilot’s first day or day/night carrier qualification as a designated Naval Aviator.
10 day arrested landings and 6 night arrested landings.

Requalification CQ
Pilot’s day/night currency exceeds 365 days but less than four years.
6 day arrested landings and 4 night arrested landings.

A FCLP refresher (or period) consists of 6 night passes, which are mandatory, and shall be completed within 7 days. Day passes are optional and the number of these passes is unlimited.

No longer than 7 days shall elapse between the last FCLP period and the first carrier landing.

Carrier qualification of any type shall be completed within a 7-day period.

Question to VRS SuperHornet drivers:
During a carrier approach, are you able to toggle the autothrottle function using the default Ctrl-R? Or you have to push/turn/switch something in the cockpit?

pyroperson87

« Reply #878 on: January 22, 2014, 05:31:13 am »
Paddles the new CQ requirements look great, particularly the FCLP refresher.

As for the VRS, the Aircraft Config Manager (ACM) has it's own set of user changeable keystrokes that override FSX keystrokes.  That being said, the DEFAULT VRS autothrottle keystroke in the ACM is indeed Ctrl-R (the autothrottle control in the F-18 is on the back of the left engine throttle, so there's no way you could toggle it in the VC). It could easily be changed to something else.  I think that since VRS uses it's own key mappings you might have a hard time getting vLSO to recognize if ATC APP is being used or not for users of the Superbug since the keystrokes are so heavily modified.  The ACM does provide a way to disable many of the keystroke overrides, so perhaps you could just put a note in the manual stating that for vLSO to recognize the VRS ATC APP being toggled, you must first disable it in the ACM and use the default FSX Ctrl-R.

That was a really long post just to basically say "Yes the Superbug uses Ctrl-R"  ::)

If you need any more info about the Superbug let me know.
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #879 on: January 22, 2014, 06:17:46 am »
Roger.
Actually vLSO doesn't catch keystrokes but simulation events and variables like 'AUTOPILOT AIRSPEED HOLD', so I think it's possibly will work with the SH. Should ask VRS devs...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:20:49 am by Paddles »

pyroperson87

« Reply #880 on: January 22, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »
Duh, I should have known that...

I posted on the VRS forums about it, I'll let you know what they say.
Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #881 on: January 22, 2014, 03:40:51 pm »
Already got their response - no chance, they're not using FSX auto throttle, it's in their own code...

GOONIE

« Reply #882 on: January 22, 2014, 03:44:43 pm »
could you monitor an LVar or offset for VRS's ATC?
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #883 on: January 22, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
Not yet...  :( Those LVars are real pain in FSX world... Keep reading devs' forums and will try to get to these vars from my program.

pyroperson87

« Reply #884 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »
Hey Goonie, I noticed the you took down the PLAT footage.  Any chance of getting that back up or was having it up on youtube a no-no?
Pops