Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 821035 times)

GOONIE

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #810 on: January 09, 2014, 06:47:21 pm »

PS. A good LSO reading, by the way

Nice find, and a great read.

vLSO is just like a real LSO, no matter how much I complain or argue it doesn't change my landing grade, "Where's your guide dog today, vPaddles?" ;D

Didn't realize LSOs typically get less flying time then other squadron pilots. tough job, but awesome at the same time.

GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #811 on: January 10, 2014, 03:46:58 pm »
Yet another good hot break video from that guy

Just a couple of his comments on YT:

This day only had a few flights, mostly post maintenance check flights so it was easy to work these types of high speed breaks into the pattern. When I'm on final you can see my room mate in his break turn, he was doing 620 kts and won the bet for the day.

Although the 600 kt break looks amazing when compared to a normal break, it really isn't that difficult. You fly through the same reference points, visual sight pictures are pretty much the same, you are just going much faster which requires more G and angle of bank. The FA-18 bleeds almost 65kts per second on the G limiter, you just got to have faith, go for it, and pull hard. Biggest mistake is getting to far abeam.

Anyone tried to HSB in FSX?..  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »
I have tried several SHB's in FSX  8), still waiting for vLSO to announce "very nice!" as I break overhead  ;)

Two things I've noticed during my SHBs, the nose of the jet oscillates a lot in the knife edge turn. What is cool is you can see it happen to the jet's nose in the video you posted. The nice thing in FSX, it doesn't matter if I am at 600kts or 280kts in the break, I only feel 1G. I can tell you from the flying I have done in real life, 6-7Gs does a number on your body. I wonder if that is why the pilot selected ATC (see it selected on the HUD) after the SHB, might have been a little drained after the 7.5Gs. He still does a great job rolling into the groove at 3/4NM.

GOONIE
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:22:29 pm by GOONIE »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2014, 06:11:24 pm »
Cool! Now I know who will be the first beta tester of this SHB feature  ;D

Well, down to business... The new vLSO version, mentioned earlier in this post, will show pilot's currency. A whole lot of information on qualifications and currency requirements could be found in LSO NATOPS (paragraph 6.2, figure 6-1).

I suggest this rather simplified form of that big table:

Initial CQ consists of 12 day (minimum 10 arrested) and 8 night landings (minimum 6 arrested).
A FCLP refresher, or period, is usually consists of 8-10 passes.

So, the program would follow this simple logic and show reminders, or hints, on what you shall do to keep current. The currency info will also be saved in export files for squadrons' LSOs convenience.

What do you think?  :)

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #814 on: January 10, 2014, 07:04:19 pm »
I love shit hot breaks in FSX.  A fun but simple feature for a future vLSO like Goonie said, would be to have some various audio marveling at the beauty of the break.  Could be simply triggered by breaking at over 500 KIAS and pulling at least 5G or something to that effect.

As for the currency, I really love where it's headed, but how exactly will you be implementing it?  Will it be based off of the time in FSX, PC system time, or some form of time keeping within vLSO itself?

Also, any progress on the rollback after trap feature?  A while back I discussed it with Sludge and I think you chimed in as well, just wanted to see if you had come up with anything viable yet.  I still think that the FSX pushback feature (somehow linked to the tailhook position?) could be workable if someone with better programming knowledge than me took a crack at it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:10:47 pm by pyroperson87 »
Pops

GOONIE

« Reply #815 on: January 10, 2014, 07:22:20 pm »
Paddles,

The currency feature will be a nice add to vLSO for sure. Looks like only the arrested landings requirements will be monitored. Is there a reason you removed the soft requirement for T/Gs? Looking at the NATOPS doc, 4 landings (2 arrestments and 2 T/G)s are required for daytime 60 days-6month and 6-12months currency lapse. Not sure it is really necessary to add the T/Gs, or harder to code, but just a thought.

Anything planned for the FCLP side of the house? Will vLSO monitor to see if you've completed the FCLP refresher (8-10 passes) as required for the daytime currency lapse? 

SHBs and rollback sound like great adds for sure.

Any update on the "roger ball" inconsistency with the latest release?

GOONIE

pyroperson87

« Reply #816 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:31 pm »
Another random suggestion, obviously low on the priority list.  It would be epic to have an audio clip that plays once you initially CQ.  There is a clip that plays in the Seven-G demo that says something to the effect of "congrats buddy you're a qual."

We have so many requests and suggestions, I almost feel bad.  Almost.  ;)

Thanks for all your hard work!  I would love to help out any way I can if you ever need it!

Pops

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #817 on: January 11, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »
Ok, guys
Good questions

Quote from: pyroperson87
A fun but simple feature for a future vLSO like Goonie said, would be to have some various audio marveling at the beauty of the break.
Agreed, and I have some good samples already

Will it be based off of the time in FSX, PC system time, or some form of time keeping within vLSO itself?
The logbook records keep your PC system date and FSX time of day (day or night). The same approach will be used for currency.

Also, any progress on the rollback after trap feature?  A while back I discussed it with Sludge and I think you chimed in as well, just wanted to see if you had come up with anything viable yet.  I still think that the FSX pushback feature (somehow linked to the tailhook position?) could be workable if someone with better programming knowledge than me took a crack at it.
The rollback feature has passed initial ship suitability tests and ready for deployment 8)
An XML gauge using the pushback could be a good solution, however it would require tweaking each aircraft's panel files etc. The way I implement it is free of this limitation and should work with any aircraft known to vLSO. But, it requires vLSO running  ;)

Quote from: GOONIE
Is there a reason you removed the soft requirement for T/Gs? Looking at the NATOPS doc, 4 landings (2 arrestments and 2 T/G)s are required for daytime 60 days-6month and 6-12months currency lapse. Not sure it is really necessary to add the T/Gs, or harder to code, but just a thought.
I think, that only the number of arrested landings should meet the currency requirements and the number of T/Gs is actually unlimited, so you will be free to follow NATOPS or not to follow. Two, four, ten or even zero T/Gs - no matter.

Will vLSO monitor to see if you've completed the FCLP refresher (8-10 passes) as required for the daytime currency lapse?
Yes, indeedy.  :)

Any update on the "roger ball" inconsistency with the latest release?
It's fixed now.

It would be epic to have an audio clip that plays once you initially CQ.  There is a clip that plays in the Seven-G demo that says something to the effect of "congrats buddy you're a qual."
Can I have that clip? By the way, I have a similar audio (see the attachment).

I would love to help out any way I can if you ever need it!
Ok, yet another test pilot on my roster  ;D

And my question is:
What are the criteria of passing Initial CQ? All required landings should be graded no lower than a Fair?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:22:43 pm by Paddles »

pyroperson87

« Reply #818 on: January 11, 2014, 07:40:52 pm »
it requires vLSO running

The real question is, when ISN'T vLSO running  ;D

Can I have that clip?

Unfortunately the demo no longer exists to my knowledge.  I had the demo for it almost 2 or 3 years ago, but I'll do some digging.

What are the criteria of passing Initial CQ?

Firstly, undergraduate CQ is flown in the T-45C and you have to make 14 daytime (there are no night passes during undergrad CQ) passes at the boat (with the hook DOWN), and you must trap on at least 10 of those passes. Prior to the hook down passes there are several T/G's performed, but I don't know how many and if there is any criteria regarding those passes.  I also unfortunately don't know if there are any specific grading requirements for the traps.  I would assume that getting a single No Grade pass would be acceptable, but no more.  I would also assume that if you were to get a Cut Pass you would not qual.  I'll try to find something a little more substantial than my own assumptions  :D

Second, you would head to initial CQ which would be at your FRS in your assigned airframe.  Things get more strict here.  You have to make 12 daytime hook down passes, of which 10 must be traps. Then you have the night portion: 8 hook down passes, 6 must be traps.  Again, I don't know the minimum allowable grades for initial CQ.

However I do know that if you fail undergrad qual you'll be transferred to another aircraft type that is land based (usually the P-3).  If you fail initial CQ, they'll bump you into a different aircraft and let you try to CQ again.  If you fail that you will no longer be a naval aviator and you'll become a line officer in the Navy.  You're 10 year commitment is waived and is dropped down to the commitment determined by your assigned line of duty, usually 6 years.

I'll try to research the various CQ's some more to see if I can find some specifics.

Also, this could be difficult to implement since there are some that simply use vLSO for fun rather than to have to move through the pipeline like a real aviator would.  Maybe an option for a simple vLSO and a vLSO that follows the rigid structure of CQ?  Just a thought.
Pops

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #819 on: January 11, 2014, 09:48:19 pm »
I'm interested in the qualification scenarios also so I'll look to see what can be found. These quals have been talked about before on the forum - perhaps on this very thread (so long now)? And I'm agreeing with 'pyro' on this comment:

"...there are some that simply use vLSO for fun rather than to have to move through the pipeline like a real aviator would.  Maybe an option for a simple vLSO and a vLSO that follows the rigid structure of CQ?  Just a thought."

I'm only an occasional user nowadays of FSX (not even installed at moment) due to other commitments (the 4.4GB PDF amongst other things) so having to go through some rigid structure will be offputting to say the least. A 'simple vLSO' (regarding quals or whatever) would be the one for me.  ;D Thanks.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

ExNusquam

« Reply #820 on: January 11, 2014, 09:58:20 pm »
Paddles, attached is the Seven-G LSO archive, all the LSO calls that were included in the demo. I'd get in contact with the Seven-G devs before I would distribute this with vLSO.

pyroperson87

« Reply #821 on: January 11, 2014, 10:08:33 pm »
Nice work Joe! I finally found the demo on my external HD and was just about to upload that folder with similar comments.

The two sounds files for quals are r35 and r36. The rest are all just standard LSO corrective calls.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:11:49 pm by pyroperson87 »
Pops

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #822 on: January 11, 2014, 10:50:03 pm »
A new USN LSO Reference Manual was produced c. 2011 replacing the much older c.2001 edition. I have not been able to find the new edition online so far.

U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Landing Sgnal Officer Manual [Kindle Edition]

Today I find this: http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Carrier-Landing-Officer-Manual-ebook/dp/B00FNRT1RI

Does anyone have this? Does anyone know if 'Kindle e-books' (PDFs I presume?) can be read by Adobe Reader/Acrobat. I would guess they can but so far I have not bought any e-books and do not have a Kindle.

Thanks in advance for any feedback please. The 'e-book' may just be an LSO NATOPS Manual - these are free PDFs available in a few places. I can check the index with whatever LSO pubs I have to see if there is a correlation:

"Publication Date: 04 Aug 2013
In the past, most of what a Landing Signal Officer (LSO) learned was through direct experience; the longer the LSO "hung around", the more "sea stories" he had heard, the more "lessons learned" he had seen, the more he filed away for later use and as a future reference. Any technical knowledge or information he gained was usually passed by word of mouth, and only after time did the LSO become knowledgeable and proficient in his job.

Today's LSO may not gain as much experience as in the past; however, the demand on LSO proficiency is ever increasing. With pilot flight time decreasing, the procurement of replacement aircraft below requirements, and the cost of per aircraft increasing, the onus on the LSO is now greater. More than ever it is mandatory that the LSO must be able to wave a safe and expeditious recovery every time.

The LSO Reference Manual is intended to categorize and briefly explain LSO related technical references, establish a training outline for the LSO, and provide a basic document for self study. This guide is not intended to provide all the answers or to replace references which the LSO must know intimately, such as LSO NATOPS, CVNATOPS, Aircraft Recovery Bulletins, Commander Naval Air, Atlantic (AIRLANT), Commander Naval Air, Pacific, (AIRPAC), or Commander Naval Air, Training (CNATRA) instructions/SOP, etc. if used as guide, it should provide answers to many questions and point fledgling LSOs in the right direction for accurate information. As an additional caveat, the LSO Reference Manual is not intended to be used as a technical source document. [What? I don't get that.?]

Appropriate Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) publications should be consulted for the most current information regarding system design, configurations, etc.

CONTENTS:
SECTION I
Equipment
Chapter 1 Optical Landing Systems
Chapter 2 Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (IFLOLS)
Chapter 3 Manually Operated Visual Landing Aid System (MOVLAS)
Chapter 4 Integrated Launch and Recovery Television Surveillance System (ILARTS)
Chapter 5 LSO Workstation / Equipment
Chapter 6 CV(N) Lighting and Markings
Chapter 7 Electronic Landing Aids
Chapter 8 Laser Range Line-up System (to be added)
Chapter 9 Shipboard Arresting Gear
Chapter 10 Steam Catapults
Chapter 11 Shorebased Visual Landing Aids
Chapter 12 Shorebased / Field Arresting Gear

SECTION II
Operations
Chapter 13 Shipboard Organization
Chapter 14 Carrier Air Traffic Control Center (CATCC)
Chapter 15 The Air Plane
Chapter 16 Aircraft Lighting
Chapter 17 Environmental Factors
Chapter 18 Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) and Carrier Qualification (CQ)
Chapter 19 Debriefing
Chapter 20 Waving Concepts
Chapter 21 Aircraft Data
Chapter 22 Carrier And Field Service Units

SECTION III
Administration
Chapter 23 LSO Publications Ordering Information
Chapter 24 LSO Qualifications Correspondence
Chapter 25 LSO Additional Qualification Designator (AQDs)
Chapter 26 Marine Corps LSO Program
Chapter 27 Sample LSO Mishap Statement
Chapter 28 Sample LSO ADMAT Guide
Chapter 29 LSO Personal Equipment
Chapter 30 LSO Points-of-Contact

SECTION IV
Aircraft Recovery/Launching Bulletins
Chapter 31 Aircraft Recovery Bulletins
Chapter 32 Aircraft Launching Bulletins"

SpazSinbad

« Reply #823 on: January 11, 2014, 11:07:48 pm »
OOPs! I did not see that there is a preview of this 'LSO Kindle e-Book' at the URL. It is the 1999 Rev.B edition of the LSO REFERENCE MANUAL which WAS available online at many places but it seems no longer. So this is one way to get the OLD edition. Sorry about that.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #824 on: January 12, 2014, 08:23:52 am »
Joe, thanks for the samples, will try to contanct Seven-G guys and ask their permisson.

There's a 2009 version of LSO NATOPS still publicly available and which I somehow missed, to my shame.
The qualifying procedures and currency requirements now described in a more easy to understand, and to follow, form. For example, no more night T/Gs as a currency option. So, my table has been changed a little bit:

Note that I intentionally made the day and night parts symmetrical (two lines 1-7 and 8-14 days instead of one line 1-14 days for day currency) - this is just to simplify the program's logic implementation.

I totally agree with Pyro and Spaz that not all casual players (of which I am one myself) want to follow all the qual procedures required. All they usually want is to fly around a carrier and do some traps, as time permits. And a vLSO checkbox option saying 'Follow CQ procedures' (or something to that effect) would be their choice.
Virtual squadrons would definitely require this option be checked on.  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:27:53 am by Paddles »