Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 821753 times)

GOONIE

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #390 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:36 pm »
Thanks, Spaz.

I noticed in one of the documents you posted that the FCLP runway lighting includes a light that marks the abeam position (red light should be visible from the 180, faces the downwind). It is located a few lights up on the centerline, not sure if this is possible to do in FSX, but thought is was a cool idea.

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #391 on: May 08, 2012, 08:06:41 pm »
FSXNP has the abeam light in Missions 4 (dusk) and 5 (night) at NOLF Coupeville. It is visible in the video. I'll try to get a screenshot. However most likely less visible once the very high quality video made by FRAPS (which I no longer have) is crunched down it is probably less visible. Anyhoo.... This 'enhanced' screenshot from what is now a low quality video online does not show it [abeam light] but the carrier deck lights have been 'highlighted'. FSXNP spent a lot of time getting the 'abeam light' visible correctly. Thankfully on a dark night the lights are visible from the correct distance including the carrier deck lights as seen from the deliberate left side approach. On my computer with the final setup the ball was visible beyond 1.5NM as I recall. Each mission is setup to be what it is with the WX and whatever Glideslope.

As mentioned in LSO NATOPS having too flat an approach at night makes the lights less visible amongst other effects in light wind. So having the mission with higher than normal perhaps G/S and strong wind down runway no turbulence increases the carrier deck visibility from higher start etc. A good thing at night. FCLP is never going to be the same as an actual carrier landing and this is always acknowledged. The purpose of FCLP is to get the pilot to concentrate on 'meatball, lineup and airspeed (Opt AoA)' without distractions of daytime visibility or night time lights at a main airfield for example. Hence everything is BLACK for night FCLP with a higher circuit height etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:42:50 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

GOONIE

« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2012, 10:15:12 pm »
Thanks, Spaz. I don't see it in the picture, but I will look for it next time I fly some FCLPs in Serge's mission.

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »
When you are within the 'abeam' parameters you should hear an abeam call if I remember correctly? I don't have FSX installed at moment to check.

GOONIE

« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2012, 02:10:50 am »
I think this is it right? (white arrow pointing to the red light/abeam light)

CAPT

SUBS17

« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2012, 02:16:02 am »
A couple of ideas how about the LSO voice remaining to one character per each approach or is there more than one in each landing IRL? (could have randomised selection for the LSO voice or a cycled character for each approach eg voice 1 approach 1, 2 for approach 2 etc)I've checked out all the audio files and the Tanker calls sound cool it will be great when a tanker is added.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2012, 05:34:22 am »
'capthaltli' thanks, nice screenshot. Attached is my modified .GIF version of your screenshot to better display the 'carrier deck' lights for FCLP with the 'abeam light'.

bentwing

« Reply #397 on: May 10, 2012, 06:07:02 pm »
Hello Folks:

First of all, I'm new to carrier ops in FSX, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm learning and was quite excited to discover vLSO a few days ago. Great stuff!

Unfortunately, vLSO has me beat! Its not working. I've been scouring the forums both here and VRS, reading and rereading to figure out what I'm missing. No luck.

In a nutshell, I'm having the exact same problem robertorizzo was struggling with in posts# 283, 286, 291. I'm running Win 7-64, FSX Accel, aircarriers, Nimitz-EisenhowerV2, and the most recent versionn of vLSO.  vLSO starts up fine and recognizes the carrier (green message bar in upper left providing data from carrier tower) and I hear the marshalling distance calls at night and in bad weather, but thats it. I hear no LSO calls, get no landing grades, and no log file is generated in the vLSO. I beleive I've  tried everthing suggested in the forums (make sure the right options buttons are pushed, gear down, run as admin, etc.) except for testing an earlier version of vLSO (0.3 or 0.4), which seem to work for some folks.

And so. . . hat and hand I'm in search of help. What am I doing wrong? Where could I find an earlier version of vLSO to try?

Thanks in advance!

Bentwing

GOONIE

« Reply #398 on: May 10, 2012, 07:11:27 pm »
Bentwing, sorry for the issues.

Are you in manual ball call or auto in vLSO?

CAPT

bentwing

« Reply #399 on: May 10, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »
Yes, this has me baffled!

I've tried both modes with no luck.

Bentwing

SUBS17

« Reply #400 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:00 am »
Check that you have the audio files as there was a version which had them missing which is why it did not work for some people. Try the latest vLSO 0.6b from the start of this thread and also if its giving you a CASE 1 or III call then its working. If its not detecting you at 3/4 of a mile then you must be outside the parameters for it to detect you so try checking ILS bars and also meatball is centre and not red might help.

bentwing

« Reply #401 on: May 11, 2012, 04:34:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm using version 0.6B, and the sound files are present. Based on ILS and meatball I believe I've been within the parameters at 3/4 of a mile.

I'll try again, and double check. Maybe I am just that bad!

Thanks,
Bentwing

SUBS17

« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2012, 02:59:05 am »
Are you approaching the right carrier? ;D

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2012, 04:38:24 am »
Guys,
I slightly modified the program so now you can have a log file (vLSO_log.txt), where the program registers some crucial events. Just run the program with the log command line option, i.e. vLSO.exe log for example, and the program will create (or append) the vLSO_log.txt file in its main folder.

Note a new version numbering scheme - 0.6.3.7 beta  :)

Get it from http://www.gamefront.com/files/21686848/vLSO_0637_zip

In case of problems with the gamefront try this http://www.filedropper.com/vlso0637

bentwing,
Could you run the vLSO with the log option and then post here your vLSO_log.txt file?
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:49:52 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

wilycoyote4

« Reply #404 on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:51 am »
I haxen't been able to download from this link.  Any other way?