Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 818655 times)

texxasal

• CVW-2.ORG
Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1275 on: April 21, 2015, 11:38:03 am »
Thinking about future MODEX, TANK and BINGO parameters I came to this - I should use a separate GUI parameter for setting MODEX instead of utilizing the atc_flight_number (how many of us do care of this parameter? I personally never use it...). This way it won't depend on the atc parameter's value, whatever it is.

By the way, should there be any range limits for the Tank and Bingo values? For example, 10.3 for the Tank seems rather meaningless. I guess something like 4.0 (Tank) and 3.0 (Bingo) would be reasonable. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Sir,

I can only speak for my own group on the MODEX source and, we do make use of the value which is sync'd to Modex in our repaints. That variable would serve us well in identifying our flight aircraft.

Using the commonly accepted value of 6,000 pph for a rough average in an F/A-18E, the values of 4.0-4.5 and 3.0 seem about right for a 45 minute "Tank" and a 30 minute "Bingo" time remaining.

Thank you for all your efforts in continuing to make vLSO the "standard" of products accompanying the Superbug/TacPack. We consider it as essential part of our flying.

Regards
Al Rosenberg

GOONIE

« Reply #1276 on: April 21, 2015, 02:53:05 pm »
I think s separate GUI would make it easier for folks that don't know how to find and update the aircraft.cfg parameter.

I think the Tank and Bingo should have limits, <10.0., but customizable based on the carriers position from land.

Once this functionality exist, shouldn't be much of a stretch to add vMarshal  ;D "102 Marshal, 190 22, angles 8, EAT 33, approach button 6".
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

GOONIE

« Reply #1277 on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:17 pm »
Over two hours of Aircraft Carrier Comms during quals

;D ;D ;D

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #1278 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:17 pm »
Several clear and unique traffic calls after about 1:46 such as advising when a qual had been completed. Some are two separate combined into one call - one right after the other.

Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1279 on: May 16, 2015, 07:11:34 am »
Well, just so you all know, I've been working a little bit on making the NH 1.8 version of the FSXBA Hornet a bit more accurate in the flaps department, as best I can. In pursuit of this end, I have been working on carrier landings. Not very well apparently. I thought I would add vLSO to my FSX, to see if it helps me do better. It is an amazing program, by the way, and works amazingly well. I am sure that once I graduate from a J3 cub doing touch and goes at Area 51's dry  lake runway, I'll appreciate it much more.
Not really. I was just so embarrassed by my performance that I don't think I'll be using vLSO until I get to a point to make it worth while, at least. Not in the least, the fault of the program, believe me. It was brutally honest as to my performance, which I expected. It was just embarassing to see an objective (and accurate) critique of my performance. Hard on the ego :D
SO, maybe once I manage a few million more landings (at this rate) I'll run it again. Should be up to the AI version by then that will walk up and strip my virtual wings off once I get down on the deck...
Anyway, Just wanted to let you all know what a great program you all have here, and how wonderfully it integrates with FSX. Thank you for a very good, well made program, even if it's harder on my ego than a DI finding an Irish Pennant on Final Inspection! Which didn't happen, to me, anyway. I will look forward to further updates :)
Pat☺

GOONIE

« Reply #1280 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »
Paddles,

Listening to the audio feed I posted earlier, I hear several azimuth calls from CATCC during CASE III ops. Would it be possible to add these azimuth calls to vLSO for CASE III recoveries after each mile call?

For example "8 miles, left of course", "7 miles, on course", "6 miles,  on course" "5 miles, say needles", "4 miles, left of course correcting"....

I can pull the audio clips for "left of course", "on course", "right of course", "correcting" if you need them.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1281 on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:25 pm »
Ok, send me the clips and I'll try to integrate them with the program.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

ExNusquam

« Reply #1282 on: May 29, 2015, 07:29:40 pm »
Two comments:
Any chance you can inhibit the lights on deck call when you're sitting on a cat? I like having vLSO yell at me when I forget the lights after trapping (always) but it gets annoying to get yelled at on the cat stroke.

Also, it's gotten *significantly* harder to get an OK now. I just shot two night traps, no comments on either, one fair T/G and one fair 3. Not sure how this compares to RW grading, but I feel like no comments should be  automatic OKs.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1283 on: May 29, 2015, 09:02:04 pm »
Any chance you can inhibit the lights on deck call when you're sitting on a cat? I like having vLSO yell at me when I forget the lights after trapping (always) but it gets annoying to get yelled at on the cat stroke.

Fair enough. I think it's doable, will see how to implement it. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, it's gotten *significantly* harder to get an OK now. I just shot two night traps, no comments on either, one fair T/G and one fair 3. Not sure how this compares to RW grading, but I feel like no comments should be  automatic OKs.

I admit the program is far from perfection... I am neither a real LSO nor a pilot and all I can do is implement my understanding of what is published about carrier ops on the net. Sometimes I hit the bullseye, sometimes I miss...  ;) But I really appreciate vLSO users' feedback because I do believe that together we can make the program as perfect as possible.
Which means that in one of future releases this issue should be fixed.  :)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

micro

« Reply #1284 on: May 31, 2015, 02:44:14 am »
Just my two cents, but after reading that it had become harder to get an OK, I decided to test it out. After my first pass, and getting a feel for what the vLSO was looking for, I did fairly well. Sure, the vLSO might not have any comments, but that doesn't necessarily mean the pass was perfect. That said, Paddles you might want to update the program so the guys who don't get an OK know how to improve.

micro

« Reply #1285 on: May 31, 2015, 05:06:44 am »
Guys, after doing a full CQ phase tonight, I have to say Paddles' vLSO program is fairly "nice". I'm a marginal pilot at best, and the vLSO is awfully nice to me. Just keep practicing and try and figure out what the virtual LSO is looking for. Then.......   Nike!!! (just do it).

GOONIE

« Reply #1286 on: June 02, 2015, 04:57:02 am »
Nice flying MICRO, what WoD do you typically fly with?

micro

« Reply #1287 on: June 03, 2015, 05:52:25 am »
On that CQ phase, I set it up for 20kts WOD at max trap weight for 3 passes. Then I would refuel and do another 3 passes and repeat.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #1288 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:14 am »
Fellers,

Been following all the FSDT developments with my laptop and now finally able to respond now that I'm established up at Whidbey Island.

I noticed alot of posts about WOD and if Paddles calculations of FSX ball is correct (~4.12 I think?), then any wind <35kts is not right. Of course that will throw TIG long, but its what NATOPS and LSO guides have said. I'd have to confirm that with my old guides but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

Bear in mind that IRL all the environmentals (time of day, sea state, etc) affect how the ball is set. Since we can't do that in FSX other than the carrier that comes with Aerosoft F-14 (3.5 IFLOLS g/s), we have to set the wind to match the 4.12 ball.

BTW, for those of you that don't know, I got a job as a Grizzly (EA-18G) sim operator up here at NAS Whidbey Island. And yes, I have flown the sim many times now and you'd be surprised how good a job FSX does for as little as you pay for it in comparison.

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #1289 on: June 03, 2015, 10:56:12 am »
Sludge,

Delighted to know you are back with us.  I hope the new job goes well.

Can you please clarify Wind over Deck?  If the carrier is progressing at 25 kts ( I think that is the AICarriers ship speed) and the F-18 landing speed is 175KIAS the the ship to aircraft closing speed is 150kts.

If the wind speed is 20 kts then I think the Wind over Deck is 25 + 20 = 45kts. 

So the plane's landing speed on the carrier is 130 kts.

Do I have this right?  If not how are the sums worked out?

Best regards,

Tregarth