Author Topic: KLAS Airport and FSX Freeze-up  (Read 13975 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: KLAS Airport and FSX Freeze-up
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 09:05:11 pm »
You are overestimating my emotional patterns. But I'm impressed, anyway. ;D

Hahaha, even though I dont know you from Adam, I always image you as some Russian/easten block fellow, sitting somewhere really cold with one of those fur hats on, flying FS9 while sitting next to a fireplace sipping vodka and cursing FSX and its users. Of course, I only imagine that since your name is Dmitry, which I imagine is a common Russian name, and I think on one of the forums you list your location as Houston, which is about the polar opposite of Russia.

Dimon

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 09:08:30 pm »
KIAD, to be precise.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »
KIAD, to be precise.

10 minutes east on KADS and 15 minutes north of KDAL for me. A little cooler up here in Dallas than your neck of the woods. I cant imagine living where you are in the summer. A few years ago I had to go down to the Woodlands in Aug for a meeting and we played golf at the TPC and roasted our butts off. It was about the most miserable hot and humid place I have ever been to say the least.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:11 pm »
I really 'love" to read discussions such as "FSX supports 4096 hi-res textures and FS2004 doesn't"...OK, cool...so what is the freaking point to have these 4096 textures if I must to resize them into 1096 to get rid off OOMs.

As usual, it depends what you do with a feature.

We used 4096x4096 textures for KLAX, not to get extra eye-candy, but to get more SPEED. We are consuming exactly the same amount of video memory as before but, instead of having 80-90 textures for the ground+buildings, we have only 6-7, and this is a big increase in efficiency, since each time the video card has to switch to a different texture or material, there's an impact.

So yes, this is a big advantage FSX has over FS9, that as of today nobody else has exploited in this way, since it's probably easier to brag about a product having ultra-HD resolution, rather than explaining why is faster. In fact, KLAX under FSX is faster than under FS9 on the same system...

Bob G.

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 04:06:49 pm »
Thanks for the help.
Bob G.