Author Topic: Antivirus will not permit me to exclude bglman  (Read 6839 times)

GS1

Antivirus will not permit me to exclude bglman
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:01:53 pm »
I've been trying for several days to work out how to load Honolulu after experiencing an FS9 start-up failure when I first tried. I have read the many Forum entries describing how to this should be done but my anti-virus software (McAfee) will not allow me to exclude the bglman file or the modules folder. When I try to do so the AV panel says that it is not possible to exclude bglman because it is a critical system file. Any suggestions as to how to overcome this so as to run Honolulu would be welcomed. Thanks.     

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Antivirus will not permit me to exclude bglman
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »
Not allowing you to exclude a file from scanning it's a serious limitation, and it's a very well known one of McAfee, and I don't see why it would think it's a "critical system file", considering it's not installed in any of the system Windows folders.

The only suggestion is either turn it off entirely, or switch to a more reliable product, like the free MS Security Essentials, which not only doesn't have this limitation and lets you freely exclude any file, but it also doesn't mistakenly block our files, wrongly believing they are threats, so it doesn't even require to exclude anything.

I usually exclude the *whole* FS9/FSX folder with MSSE, not because it's required to run our software (MSSE doesn't have this issue), but just so Flightsim will then load faster.

GS1

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »
Thank you for that very prompt reply. Just so I am clear, when you say 'turn it off entirely' do you mean that all I need do to run the product with McAfee is to disable real time scanning. If so that wouldn't be too much of a problem.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »
I guess that turning off realtime scan should be enough, have you tried it ?

GS1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:20:35 pm »
Not yet but it now occurs to me that even if that is a solution I might still have a problem when I run a scheduled scan as the AV might identify the file as a threat then and either try to remove or quarantine it. I will query this with McAfee to see if they can suggest anything and if so I will post it here. (Unless of course any reader already has the answer and beats me to it.) 

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:22:52 pm »
McAfee will no doubt attempt to talk you out of disabling real time scan.  I would ditch them in favor of MSSE, as Virtuali has already suggested.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock