Author Topic: All of my buildings suddenly dissapeared  (Read 5190 times)

dfreemanfso

All of my buildings suddenly dissapeared
« on: October 08, 2011, 01:38:03 am »
All,

I've had FSDT products installed for months with no problems.  I installed the new LAX two weeks ago and it worked fine as well. Today when loaded FSX, all my buildings were gone in all of my FSDT sceneries.  DFW, JFK, LAS, ORD, and LAX.  I went through the forum and saw others had similar problems.  I tried the only fix I saw...uninstalling 1 scenery and reinstalling with Anti-virus off.  It didn't help.  Now when I start FSX, I get messages saying addon JFK and the rest are out of date and to install the latest Stand-alone add on manager.  I downloaded the addon manager and when I tried to install I got an error trying to replace the existing file couat/alut.dll.  and several other files.  What is going on?  I have no clue as to how I can have buildings one day, then all of a sudden they're gone.  Could someone please help me?

Thanks,

Dave

FSX Acceleration
Win764
i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4
GTX 580 graphics

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: All of my buildings suddenly dissapeared
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:33 am »
I downloaded the addon manager and when I tried to install I got an error trying to replace the existing file couat/alut.dll.  and several other files

This because you tried to launch the installer too quickly when FSX was still open, or not closed properly.

Reboot Windows, install again the Addon Manager, and it will work.

dfreemanfso

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:28:07 am »
Got it...it's fixed.  Thanks for the help. ;D

Dave

Buddy1958

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
I have the same issues! However, after uninstalling BOTH the KDFW Scenery & Addon Manager, I still have no buildings! Attached are some screen shots for your review. What am I doing wrong here?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:04:35 pm »
Do you have also the "Couatl powered products" in FSX ? If not, try this:

- Reinstall the scenery with the antivirus OFF during the INSTALLATION

- Before turning it back on, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

Then you can turn it back on and launch FSX normally.

The actual process of how to exclude files from scanning depends on your antivirus so, refer to its documentation how to do it.

Buddy1958

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:26 am »
Thank you for the help.

I have purchased five sceneries from FSDreamTeam over the years and have had trouble installing each and every one!  Why is it that I can install sceneries from other companies, such as AeroSoft, BluePrint, FlyTampa, ImagineSimulation, etc., and have ABSOLUTELY NO TROUBLE with their installers and updaters???

I think you should seek advise from any of these companies and consider using the techniques and/or technologies they use. You cannot beat a flawless install. After all, the customer EXPECTS this! Unfortunately, I have come to expect only troubles and frustration from FSDteamTeam Scenery - and will therefore not be purchasing any more from you until your installers become as flawless as your competitors. And you know your sceneries are more expensive, for the most part, than your competitors; so, you should be focused on a FLAWLESS install of all your products.

But who am I to complain? Only a paying customer, I guess.

I know you can do better. Please do.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:16 am »
I have purchased five sceneries from FSDreamTeam over the years and have had trouble installing each and every one!  Why is it that I can install sceneries from other companies, such as AeroSoft, BluePrint, FlyTampa, ImagineSimulation, etc., and have ABSOLUTELY NO TROUBLE with their installers and updaters???

Those are just sceneries, our are way more complex, because they include lots of executable code to do interactive things they don't do, and if you look in the Aerosoft forum, you can find plenty of threads about problems with their Launcher, which is fairly normal because, any time you have to add something executable that links to the user systems other installer libraries, you are going to encounter problems in any case, because any system can have its share of potential conflicts. Airplane developers have way more trouble with compatibility, and our sceneries are more similar to airplane products, it's wrong to compare them to other "plain" sceneries.

I think you should seek advise from any of these companies and consider using the techniques and/or technologies they use. You cannot beat a flawless install. After all, the customer EXPECTS this!

The installer works just fine. If the antivirus is interfering, the installer can't do much about it (an installer capable of disabling your antivirus automatically would need to be more intrusive than a *real* virus) so you, as a customer of such antivirus, should expect it won't interfere with legit products, and that's something that some antivirus product simply don't do, because (for marketing reasons) they want to be able to advertise the fact they can catch more virus than the competitors, so they use questionable heuristic methods to detect threats instead of just using a database of what is *proven* to be a virus.

If you look the Flight1 forum, they have trouble

And you know your sceneries are more expensive, for the most part, than your competitors; so, you should be focused on a FLAWLESS install of all your products.

Your installers are already working, so they won't be changed much, because there's no need to. The only thing we can do to improve problems not caused by our products, is to work more with antivirus makers and report false positive more often to them, but unfortunately this is not always easy to do. Norton, for example, keep ignoring us, repeating their antivirus doesn't mistakenly detect our products as threats, even if it does...

Now, back to your problem, I gave you a suggestion, you have replied with a complain without telling if it was fixed in the end or not. Was it the antivirus ?